Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

At least when Ireland lose you can refresh your ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

We lost to a better team yesterday, it happens. That's what makes Grand Slams so rare. Years ago, Ireland did it to a great England team in Lansdowne Rd. When you're on the losing side you have to accept it as much as enjoy it when you spoil it for the GS team

We all knew we were lucky to be going in at halftime 4 points up, losing Nash so early in the game and with a 6-2 split on the bench didn't help our cause.

Oddly, Scotland are the only team that can now win the Triple Crown, aside from everything else, they now have something to play for next Saturday. It could make for an entertaining day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shehal

They will beat Scotland and will win the championship. This is a team that holds the record for the most consecutive wins in the 6N, 20 wins from 22, and are almost certainly going to win back to back Grand Slams next week yet are labelled bottlers for losing 1 game...It's obviously disappointing to lose to chance of back to back GS's but this talk of them being bottlers is laughable, basically saying having the best run any country has ever had in 6N history isn't enough.

We aren't average, we're going to win the championship for the 2nd year in a row and are still miles ahead of the field, 1 loss by 1 point doesnt change that. They can get criticism but there's criticism and OTT criticism. It's a bad performance that they need to learn from but this utter guff about being "bottlers" is so out of place its borderline laughable.

I was tempted to reply until I saw the last paragraph, no point in discussing rugby without someone who clearly isnt a rugby fan.

• First time posting on a rugby thread for at least 2 years, confirms my suspicion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

The triple crown, the real refuge of a loser. Its like an early version of a participation medal. If you couldn't win the Slam, couldn't win the championship, here's another meaningless trophy you can celebrate just in case.

• Advertisement

You know sweet fcuk all about rugby if you're discounting the Triple Crown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

And he created an account just to post that. Sad.

It's his first time posting on a rugby thread since the RWC, says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭threeball

It's pure shìte. It's up there with winning a Munster football championship. There's always at least one if not two of the teams in it going through the horrors. So one good win and your potentially a "winner".

England put pride back in their jersey yesterday, as most of knew they could, they've been poor, well below what they're capable off but yesterday they came out firing and we were below our best.

We probably went back into our shell a bit too, we seem to have conceded more penalties, turnovers, knock ons yesterday than in any other game, some of that was probably due to the pressure England were putting us under but some of it was our own making too.

• Advertisement

Like I thought, another GAA head pretending they know what their talking about in rugby. But you're case one defeat and you're a loser, irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,045 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What I always loved about rugby is how a team can turn themselves around in between games. And England did it yesterday. The 6n's would be boring if it didn't happen and we were on the receiving end yesterday. Roll with the punch and turn it around next week. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

We didn't lose yesterday because of arrogance, we were beaten by a bigger more physical team putting in their best performance in a long time. Regardless of who they were playing yesterday England played really really well.

This is the type of team we always struggle against. Look at Leinster in the Heineken cup. Really big strong teams cause them huge problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thamus doku

England played really well yesterday. Earls was excellent but the whole English team played with aggression and a chip on their shoulder.

its not a case of Ireland bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Coaching ticket starting to look staid. A long contract for Farrell May be a mistake. When is ROG’s contract up with LaR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

nail on head,England had line speed and aggression havent seen in 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 67,045 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have noticed that success seems to have lessened our passion. England played with real passion yesterday. 100% committed to the win. You knew Murray played right into their hands with that kick. There was an inevitability about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The loss of Nash and then the loss of his replacement, Frawley, really hurt us. Particularly when we had a 6/2 split. The yellow card of POM was the final nail in the coffin.

Farrell's summary was fair enough. When the 6/2 split works, you're a genius and when it doesn't it was the wrong thing to do.

It was a great, entertaining game. The 6N needed it. Very disappointed that we won't get the slam but hopeful that we will win the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

strange as how many times have munster put it up the jumper for the last few minutes to see out the win,why they hell would you kick it away,not news that england are handing at the DGs. we didnt deserve it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Madeoface

I don't know if England can back that up but they were very good yesterday. Itoje back to his annoying self and Ben earl was terrific. I can't stand earl with his whooping and shouting etc but he cast that aside yesterday and played great rugby.

Mitchell was motm in my eyes. Pugnacious.

A good kick up the hole. Once again without James Ryan we get bullied by a more physical side. Fair play England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

It was like a reversal of the 90s. England had to play out of their skins to just about beat a poor Ireland.

Btw with the penalty advantage, shouldn't Smith have tried to get a fourth try and bonus point?

Also did Joe McCarthy have any carries? If ever we needed a fella like him to do his thing it was yesterday.

Anyway, better to lose this one rather than the final match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Henshaw very quiet ,would definitely bring back Ringrose and Baird needs to start ahead of POM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The turning point was when JVDF went off

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Albenga

Good Morning all, a newbie but avid Irish and Munster supporter here, albeit living across the water.

I thought England played out of their skins yesterday and Ireland were strangely subdued, probably as a result of the onslaught from the first minute. A loss by a point is not the end of the world and the championship is there for the taking next weekend.

Positives: VDF had a great game, also good to see Furlong on the charge, Aki was great as usual.

Negatives: McCarthy and Beirne were strangely quiet. It pains me to say this as a Munster supporter but Murray and POM should not be in the team going forward. I assume central contracts have something to do with this? POM has a history of giving away stupid penalties and he continued yesterday. Blade and Casey are viable options to replace Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Don’t mind the sport itself although don’t think there’s a huge amount of skill versus other field sports. It’s the deluded Irish fans ans media, the private school and south Dublin brigade that turn me and a whole lot others off it. The cabal and how closely ingrained it is with our politics is the issue.

Advertisement