Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England v Ireland. Twickenham. Sat 9th Mar, 16:45. RTE2

Options
  • 07-03-2024 3:46pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ireland can win the Championship this weekend. England only have pride to play for. Have at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

First observations of England team , that's a very big and physical pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Surely England can still win the championship. It's unlikely but possible.

Looks like England are going to try play judging from that team so could be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

England are going to spend the whole game trying to slow down the ruck if they don't get pinged for it. Whose the Ref ?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,996 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a very reactive English line up I feel. Reacting to how Ireland play, but confused about how they themselves want to play

Putting chessum at six screams that they want to bully us up front and go after our set piece, especially the line out. Yet they go with five forwards in the bench, knowing we would go 6/2, and with dombrandt on the bench, not exactly know as fierce physical player but more as a ball playing forward. CCS will be work rate and heft, but by god is he inexperienced. The kid has 10 pro starts to his name.

They also select a very much kicking 10, but select a running back line. I can see any of lowe, Nash and Keenan cleaning up those kicks ahead of Furbank, freeman and IFW. Will Henry slade play yet another game with the ball ping ponging over his head all day?

We should win this with some room to spare. Unless there's a torrential downpour, I don't see your that English team can get a foothold in the game early enough to knock us out of our stride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 brady99

Interestingly enough - the odds have lengthened on Ireland and shortened on England following team announcements. Not by much and we are still firm favourites but I thought it was interesting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Have somehow convinced myself that we will be beaten this weekend. I think we are miles ahead of England in reality but just have a bad feeling. I don't think we are actually anything other than ok the first 3 games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Advertisement

??

The spread went from -11 to -12.

That equals the odds shortening on Ireland and lengthening on England

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭ersatz

Is Ryan injured? Amazing to think there’s no room for in the 23, though once POM was named captain it was clear he was up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brady99

I'm only basing it on oddschecker - nothing more scientific

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

England, yet again, set up for kick chase. The key for us will be error count - cough up a catch & their backline can run. Knock on a catch & their scrum can deliver set piece for that backline.

If we're clean with our kick reception and screen / support our kick receivers then Crowley, Keenan & Lowe will make sure we're playing the game in their half. Need a strong start to remind them of their fragility in defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I think we'll get turned over an all. The media hype is the hypest it's been in ages. Everyone and their dog has us winning and winning easily. Ex-players are saying giving the English plenty of dressing room headlines to get more up for it. It's in Twickenham. Ford>Crowley. The bookies line is shifting more and more in Irelands favor; meaning Joe Public is putting all the money on Ireland too. It just smells like it's ripe for an upset.

Clichéd as this sounds, if we match them physically up front ( I'm sure we will) then we win. Bench will be the difference. I think Ireland by 11 and I'm probably the most pessimistic fan you could meet .

To add though Heaslip coming out saying England can only win if Ireland go down to 14 or 13 ,certainly doesn't help.

Ah we were excellent v France, good against Italy and adequate v Wales ( good in first half though)

Loosing to England in Twickenham isn't a shock they are decent players.

I do feel we are missing a bit of cutting edge in backs, miss Hansen big time. As harsh as it would have been to Henshaw I would have brought in Ringrose for Sat

I think we win but England will bring physicality we haven't seen since SA in WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Shehal

We'll get turned over because...England will "be up for it" and the game is in Twickenham...in other words their f*cked. I don't know if you've watched the 6N this year but the things said about both sides going into this game probably are a result of what we've seen from both teams so far, do you expect the media and pundits to lie and say it should be a tight game when all the facts, logic and stats point the opposite direction?

England scraped past Wales & Italy, the 2 weakest sides in the competition, and got outplayed up in Murrayfield yet you think after all that they are going to turn over by far the best side in the competition just because "their up for it"....no in the real world I'm afraid.

Prediciton : England 14 (1T) Ireland 29 (4T).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Prediciton : England 14 (1T) Ireland 29 (4T)

How will England score 14 points while scoring only one Try ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Shehal

Score 1 try, miss the conversion and then score 3 penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Or 7 safeties.

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Second observation, I'm not sure I've ever seen any of them (bar George) pass a rugby ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

England will try to attack our scrum and lineout, put pressure on the breakdown, and blitz our attack to create errors. Their starting backline is based around having two tactical kickers at 9 and 10, with the rest of their tactics relying on individual player talent and living off turnovers.

We're more than good enough to beat them comfortably unless a couple of important game elements start going heavily in their favour.

Nika Amashukeli seems to be happy to let two packs to go at each other at scrum time. Porter's perceived issues should be less of a problem than with a pickier referee.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

On another note it's refreshing to see our 6N game thread started without misspelled country names, incorrect TV listings, zero information, or an ethnic slur. I know it's a pretty low bar but good work! 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

There's nothing to suggest England will win. Possible yes, but they'd have to be miles better than they've been all tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭joedamuss

We will win, but it'll be a dog fight for 60 min, our superior bench will see us home, Ireland by 14 ☘️☘️☘️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭ersatz

England will show up to cause as many problems as they can. They won't expect to score tris but they'll kick penalties and drop goals given the opportunity. If they can get to 9 points early on then we'll have a game on our hands. Ireland have been cruising in all their games so far, no-one has really challenged but Ireland have not had to get out of third gear honestly. I'd love to see them put a big score on England and claim an emphatic victory. France put 50 points on England last year.

Advertisement