Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme improvement ideas?

Options
  • 03-03-2024 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

What if as part of this deposit return scheme there was an phone app that could scan the plastic bottle(or whatever) being returned and then your scan you green waste bin and just put it in? removing the need to transport the material back again to a location with a deposit scheme bin?

I'm only posting this here because I've probably not understood something that prevents this obvious addition.

Have you guys any other ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Too open to fraud.

You can generate QR codes in Word or Excel. It's trivial to do without leaving traces on the internet.

And there's no way to confirm that a home scanned bottle actually goes into and stays in the green bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd like to be able to type in my Revolut/etc and be sent the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Who refunds you the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You mean my kids can scan the same 2l bottle of coke for several hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭vafankillar

the best improvement would be to scrap it.

focus on other things like forcing producers to use less plastic instead of punishing the majority of people who already recycle their bottles/cans.

how about this food companies can only use the minimum/ or certain percentage less of plastic for their packaging? a huge amount of plastic on food products (especially confectionary) is solely to take up shelf space & make their product stand out.

• Advertisement

who pays transaction fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not perfect but if there was an effective spot checking system in place it would deter fraud, like in Tesco when you use the handheld scanners. People could rob from your bin though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Downlinz

The logical thing is removing cans from this scheme since plastic was the problematic material we weren't reaching targets on. Then it gives people a choice to avoid the cost/inconvenience of plastic drinks by using cans and continuing to recycle at home.

Currently it's a bizarre system that punishes the majority through cost or inconvenience who were recycling correctly at home in the hopes of changing behaviour of the minority who weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd like to be able to use one of those bulk machines that was shown on the other thread.

You just pour in all your containers and the machine sorts them out.

Also I'd like it sited by the bottle banks so you could just drive up beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I give all my stuff to someone else to put in the machine to get the refund as I can't get there but that would only make it look like it works so I'll just put mine in the green bin as I have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I'm sure someone could cut a say 2lt bottle down and put labels on all parts of it to get back more back than the charge they paid.

Or maybe not but it only a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to scam it.

Well I did think about printing off 2 lite barcodes and putting them on cans. Etc

That could actually work. Someone try it and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Bigger bulk machines so bottles and cans can go in at once to be checked.

If there is a logo on item check instore ?

And a waste machine for bottles and cans before the scheme was thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,637 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Machines that take full bag at a time like the rest of Europe, geez! One potato two potato ffs

there’s a 4 month transition window. After that there will be no issue. My local Tesco put a bin beside the machine for items with no deposit. It’s not really a non issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Any shop selling a product with the charge MUST accept returns, simple.

My local Spar charges, but does not accept the bottle back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

a phone app that can pay the money I to your bank account so you don't have to go into the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I hate the scheme because every time I go up with a bag of cans all purchased after 1st feb, 60-70% are not accepted even though I paid a deposit. So I'm not bothered and all of it is continuing to go in the green bin as before.

Change it so everything is included by default, and so you can create an account and get the refund to it as opposed to paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Very simple. Integrate it into the well established recycling bin collection scheme, that is paid for by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or just refund to your card directly at the machine

Advertisement