Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Will be very interesting 🙂 could possibly be more orange warnings ⚠️ perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today was very interesting. Constant thunder for an hour. Lots of lightning and torrential rain. No hail though. Where was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Few sparks from a storm which a has fired up ,near Claremorris

Confirmed Thunder and Lightning here just outside Castlebar now. Fired up nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭The Macho Man

Woken up to an overcast morning in Laois, not too dull but possibility things kick off earlyish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,137 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A few rumbles in south Laois

Some lightning showing up already north of Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Banarol

Good few strikes in Laois and in particular Offaly once again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

And lightning also in South West longford. Heard the thunder from my location near Ardagh village.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Someone I know in Coolaney had a video of a very heavy hail shower yesterday evening. Here in Ballintogher we got heavy rain for about 20-30 mins at about 7.30 I think and plenty of rolling thunder and lightning. No hail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy downpours and thunderstorms.

Potential impacts:

• Spot flooding
    • Difficult traveling conditions
    • Poor visibility

Valid: 10:00 Tuesday 21/05/2024 to 21:00 Tuesday

21/05/2024

Issued: 09:47 Tuesday 21/05/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Adriatic up around Croatia, Italy etc getting a right dose at the mo ( Blitzortung.org Live map ). Some number of strikes there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

SW over Wicklow,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm heading up the N4 corridor at the moment and visual cues are looking good, unusual to see lightning activity early AM, could be some hefty stuff mid to late afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Banarol

The latest activity is confined to Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭pureza

Sunny in Arklow but avoiding storms today is unlikely when you see sharp edges on the side of building cb's like this one,the grey and white contrast in that cloud being a dead giveaway to the spawns of thunder this early the day ?

Hearing a lot of Sferics on AM radio locally now

Another old school thunder detection system,probably from that cloud I posted above

It doesn't mean theres lightning yet,it just means its nearly ready to come out of the oven

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Thunder and heavy rain in Blessington.

• Advertisement

My view from Arklow of the strorms over central and Southwest Wicklow

Strong sea breeze here feeding right into them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pad199207

Near constant thunder in Kildare from the cell near Hollywood.

Thats quite active,latest strikes are multiple and breaking out on the south side of it now too near Aughrim which is getting closer to me,it looks like something expanding outwards as much as southwards at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭OldRio

Heavy rumbles of thunder in Leitrim, near to Ballinamore. Sky is getting very dark. Wet rain at the moment.

Multiple strikes breaking out further down that growing convergence line storm into mid wexford now

Also hearing the distant thunder here near Arklow now,although we may be safe enough from it at the minute

Lightning and Thunder in the Tinahely area now,I'm told,I can even hear it from here about 15kms East of it,which is impressive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ballylad

constant rumbles and v dark sky near us (ardattin tullow Carlow)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Hopefully dublin escapes any thunderstorms today

Can hear distant thunder ⛈️ here in carrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pretty impressive thunderstorm centered over Ferns, Wexford. Very slow moving, I'd imagine there is flash flooding in the area. I can hear it rumbling away here near Enniscorthy.

Advertisement