Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Having issue posting tweets

Dan Harris a UK Met office meteorologist just tweeted this

Although in all likelihood hail contaminated, a stationary storm over NW #Donegal produced an estimated >100mm of rain in 3 hours on my integrated radar output, before slowly backbuilding to the SE.

Sadly no gauges (either public or private) that I could find to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ros4Sam24

In North Ros sky is scary dark.. downpour imminent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭Dazler97

This is to the west of me 20km away and growing in height

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just back from supermarket trip in Sligo, drove through a heavy downpour on the way but home village is still dry as a bone with some thunder and lightning now. This is out in front of the house facing towards south/se Sligo (ish), the worst of it is behind me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yikes. Huge Lightning flash n POURING Sligo

• Advertisement

Now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

THUNDERSTORM WATCH - MON 20 MAY 2024

Issued 2024-05-20 09:47:51
    Valid: 20/05/2024 1000 - 21/05/2024 0600

Forecast Details

Quite a complex upper and surface pattern over the next 24 hours, with an upper low over western France slowly drifting north while an upper level high over Scandinavia strengthens – this will serve to strength the cyclonic flow across central Europe into Tuesday. But for Monday, a generally slack pressure pattern prevails – which will encourage breeze convergence zones to set up – particularly across western Rep of Ireland along with western coastal areas of mainland UK. Surface airmass will be most moist across the island of Ireland, where dew points are forecast to reach 15-16C, this will yield around 500-1000 j/kg CAPE this afternoon with surface heating. This instability and the trigger of lift created by breeze convergence will support the development of heavy showers and some thunderstorms over the Rep. of Ireland and perhaps into western N. Ireland. There is a risk of localised flash-flooding along with hail where storms pass.

Elsewhere, airmass of mainland UK won’t be so moist as across Ireland, nevertheless, surface breeze convergence just inland across western and southern coastal areas could trigger some isolated heavy showers and perhaps a thunderstorm or too. Tonight, an area of mid-level instability is forecast to cross the North Sea from Netherlands / N Germany and spread across E England on the nose of an elevated warm moist plume pulled northwest and lifted through differential thermal advection, as upper flow strengthens – bringing some elevated heavy showers and perhaps isolated thunderstorms overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bang in the middle of this south of Sligo town.

Not a drop of rain yet, lightening for the last hour and a half, pretty much constant. Unrale.

Wev had 14mmof rain in past 30 minutes in Sligo town.

It's just to my west can hear thunder ⛈️ no rain yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Coolaney, Sligo. Been wild here for the last few hours. Getting quiet now. Some serious rattles overhead. Made the house shake. This was taken from an iPhone video.

Have a flash of lightning 🌩 now rain has started

16.5mm of rain in 1 hour still raining but lighter

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Banarol

Re

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Banarol

They were added after the fact, Met Eireann only decided to add them after a 2hr hammering, I’m talking about Offaly and Westmeath, the quote button isn’t working

Strandhill had nearly 25mm in an hour but it was raining there since after 6 so have to check that.

Had a few flashes of lightning 🌩 but heavy rain which was well needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Sligo Airport reporting a Thunderstorm at 7.30 and 8pm. Coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 was out to Croagh Patrick on a tasking and is heading to Shannon now until the weather passes at Sligo

Metar

EISG 201900Z 10006KT 6000 -TSRA FEW013 BKN019 OVC030 14/// Q1013

EISG 201830Z VRB03KT 3100 TSRA BKN017 OVC023 14/// Q1013

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭appledrop

That's mad all the thunder and rain, still lovely here in NCD!

It might skip us altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

Stayed dry and it's still calm and sunny about 10km southeast of longford town.

Beautiful evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭squonk

Fog is starting to roll in off the coast here in North Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lifted from Galway Hospital after tasking from Croke Patrick headed for Shannon for fuel but looking at Sligo weather I guess he will wait till it clears, Air Corps 112 was into Galway as well and held off returning to base due weather in Athlone

Think the short lived thunderstorm is over but it has gotten cooler was 21c now down to 15c ,wonder if that's all now or will we see some more flashes , I love thunderstorms but mostly at night, beggers can't be choosers though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Big thunderstorm kicking off in Bundoran now I see. Really getting hammered in Sligo/Donegal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭pureza

Took this of what must have been the roof of one of the midlands storms as seen from all the way over here near Arklow 😱 around 6pm

Some height on it ! These homegrown storms are as good as Florida or southeast Aisa

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ros4Sam24

Torrential downpours in North Ros fairly local but could have dropped 20mm in a flash in spots

Final totals I think from Sligo and Strandhill

Sligo 18.9mm

Strandhiĺl 28.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Tomorrow could be interesting

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Passage of a shortwave trough tomorrow and associated upper trough, surface winds light and variable setting up convergence zones again, temps into the high teens or touching 20C, high Dps into the mid teens, plenty of moisture in the atmosphere, upper shear lighter tomorrow. Slow moving convection and thunderstorms with locally very heavy rain or hail, could get some isolated storms through the night and early tomorrow morning, could see widespread thunderstorms breaking out early afternoon over much of Ireland probably more so away from the SW, and W.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More pictures of the reported funnel or tornado today near Derry.

Advertisement