Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apparently Ashford Motors no longer take EVs as a trade in.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was the same also. Was spending 65 a week (3380/year) on diesel. Electricity costs now are less than 20 a week (1040/year) so as long as my depreciation is less than 2300/year on average the fuel alone pays for it. When I bought the car 3 years ago it was 20k and donedeal seem to be averaging about 14k now so I have potentially beaten the depreciation by about €900 just on fuel alone. That's before you take into account savings on maintenance or repairs

With that being said, there are plenty of people who have bought brand new EVs without doing their homework and now don't know what to do. I had one lady at J14 a few weeks back who just picked up the car and assumed she could pay for the charge in the shop. Dealers might be at fault here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

Customers expect something of a discount for an advertised price from a dealer, and that 20% is just a rule of thumb. It can obviously change from car to car, month to month, county to county. The 13k you were offered will likely have left some haggle room too.

Even from a private seller, there is prep and work involved. You had to clean it, take photos, put up an ad, deal with people calling, not showing up, taking test drives, going to the bank if needed. If that was your business you then need a premises, rent, heating, utilities, website, depreciation if it doesn't sell quickly, insurance, etc. which all needs to be paid for.

The reverse is true too for the buyer, driving around to private sellers who haven't a clue, total dreamers about the price thinking that cars owe the money, no comeback in case of issue, gotta sort their own finance, etc.

Yes dealers offer convenience, at a price, but they're competing against the next guy up the road, and private sellers too. In a free market they can't just price gouge and expect to retain their market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

There are people who buy privately and there are people who only buy from dealers - unless its a 1st car / low value car most people automatically go to a dealer so dealers not really competing with private sellers .

if you tell a dealer a private seller up the road is 1k cheaper he wont say ' ah i must have overpriced car so ' and reduce

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Do you.... or did you just react immediately to the post without comprehending what it meant..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there was some rubbish spouted on that newstalk clip...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

@MusicMario72 dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Any car will not do what the published MPG is, no matter what fuel it is

Every car loses range/power over its lifetime.

So the 2018 mondeo will use more fuel today to do 100km than it would have used in 2018 .

The chance of repair costs on a combustion cars are more frequent during the life cycle of the car, that is along with standard service costs.

The chance of a repair on a electric car are a lot smaller, service costs are software updates mostly, but yes if a part goes it could be an expensive repair.

The question is does it cost more over the lifetime of a combustion car to keep it on the road v an electric car? based on my own personal analysis it costs more for the combustion but then I might have been lucky with the electric cars I have owned and my family have.

I have yet to see anything which suggest this is incorrect and some random dealer looking for some free publicity and can't understand the difference between a hybrid or electric is not what I would class a reliable source.

The other question outside of service cost, will the fuel savings plus service cost over the lifetime of the car make it cheaper to run. This I can tell you is 100% in favour of the electric car IF(big IF) you are not using public charge points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The arse falling out of U.K. prices for cars coming off corporate PCPs. They were very attractive BIk wise but there just wasn’t a second hand market to absorb them coming off that first cycle. This is normal in a developing market for a product.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 633 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Closing thread for review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement