Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apparently Ashford Motors no longer take EVs as a trade in.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Soy milk ? Nads I've owned the last of the naturally asperated M3s, I currently have 3 motorcycles one of them would flat line anything you've got on your lot and I drive a van and a BYD Seal.

Don't get too caught up in the stereotypes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I'm not sure you can claim to be both driving it like a normal person and also being a sales rep going all over the country. The latter is not normal driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This is multifaceted issue.

Main dealers won't touch old ICE stuff either. Even the smaller dealers are only offering 3 months in many cases so they aren't standing over them either. Boards has loads of threads about car buyers trying to get ICE warranties honoured.

High end EVs were pitched through tax incentives at company car buyers. The more expensive the better. These have tanked in the used market partly because they were expensive and even more expensive without the company tax incentives.

If your talking about the EVs in general (and most people don't buy Porsches). EV market is still growing. But like any car if you unload it just as the PCP and warranty expires, and you've driven hard and blown past the milage warranty it's going to effect its values.

Hard to buy a car without a hybrid system these days. Complicated computers and sensors, dpf, EGR, corrosion issues on cheaper metals. Modern cars are expensive to fix. Because the supply lines are not there and they've made them expensive to fix. Where a simple headlight is no longer a light bulb fixed in 5 mins but instead required hours of labour and expensive parts.

The sales people and manufacturers have made everyone believe you need an off road SUV with a 3 liter diesel, and more computers and sensors than the space shuttle to go to the shops to get milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

2007 prius (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/mondeo-estate-2007) (2003 design) woud get at best 54ish mpg, which at the time was way haead most diesel of the time, and the 2l diesel mondeo (https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/mondeo-estate-2007 ) (2007 design)your so fond of only came out in 2007.

<snip>

Post edited by L1011 on

Same here. My newest ICE cars have been the most unreliable I've owned since the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

116 days for sale. Maybe the lovely lady overpaid for the car and is not trying to sell for realistic price. Once stung...

Prices on all cars are changing rapidly, supply reaching demand, 5k, 10k added to prices in the past for new cars now being taken off, Tesla dropping prices by 10k. Internet rates of 9%. Some dealers with lots of stock may go bust.

But all the doom and gloom how EVs are breaking down is all bull. Most EVs are far more reliable than petrol or diesel equivalent. Battery warranties are typically 7+ years, and it's easier to fix a battery by replacing a dud cell or the whole pack with one from a crashed car than say swapping out an engine. Those selling lots and lots of petrol and diesel are terrified of the move to EV.

No reason to assume he bought either car new.

That said buying a prius for long distance sales it's like using a fork for soup. I wouldn't be blaming the fork either.

I assume would be usual to buy long extended warranties beyond the stock warranty for cars like Porsches.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What your seeing watching youtubers in the UK isn't a fault of the Taycan, it's more to do with a goverment incentice on new EV's causing a glut of Taycan's for sale, businesses can write off 100% of the car value against corporation tax in it's first year, that made them very tempting for business buyers and still does, for employees they could use the salary sacrafice scheme which helps them save 30-60% off the car. The market it a lot more nuanced than Nadia comprehends I think, her own description of the Taycan for sale is absolutely rubbish and the pictures while they look good have been too edited you can't see the features noticable on the outside of the car like radar cruise, night vision, auto filler cap etc. The cheapest one on done deal is 79k for a 4yr old, it's hardly sky is falling kind of depreciation on a high end car, and you can't import much cheaper.

If she fixes her ad she might have some hope of selling it.

I get you on the pre 2016's but unless we're going to do a Cuba on it when it comes to cars they're not going to hold their value when cheap EV's are on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭circadian

Current country of reg is UK. Seems like a bit of a silly buy for a dealer to me, anyone looking will have to pay VRT etc if that's the case and a quick look at donedeal shows Irish reg cars in the same price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I sold a 2019 Tesla last month. Shopped it around dealers and most were offering in and around €20k, one of those same dealers put a near identical car on the forecourt for €30k a week later. One place that were supposed to shop the car around dealers for me and get the best quote told me dealers don't want used EVs right now so they wouldn't even bother.

Sold it privately for €26k, first person to view it who messaged me 4 minutes after I put the ad up. Pretty sure I could have squeezed at least another €500 out of the deal but wasn't that arsed, the timing of the sale worked out absolutely perfectly for me too. I had a couple of others lined up to view the car that weekend, this was all within two days of the ad going up. There is definitely a market for these cars, whether dealers want to take them on or not. The battery was under Tesla warranty for another 4 years so no issues with that either.

Vrt isn't much maybe 6 or 7k, No duty due as it's under 3yrs old and it was probably vat qualifing. It's impossible to know what it's worth or even what it is by the description. Looks like a rwd with the small battery and no mention of any but the standard features.

I suspect the dealers know that as the range and reliability are imrpoving along with more affordable Chinese brands entering the market, the days of selling loads of ICE cars are numbered. No point in having a 2019 Tesla for a decent price on the forecourt and within battery warranty when you also have a bunch of more expensive brand new ICE cars to shift.

Yeah lack of info isn't great, but why spend the 6 or 7k on VRT when you can pick up an Irish Reg one with similar milage for the same price? In fact, there's a few with good specs on donedeal around that price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I agree the Taycan thing is a perfect storm, a big glut on the market at once.

But car manufacturers have tried to screw the customers, as Flinty said above cars have more computers and electronics nowadays than the space shuttle had, and 99% of us don’t need it. Yes cars are safer than they were but reliability and value for money has basically fallen through the floor.

VW basically killed off Diesel engines when they were caught cheating on emissions. Diesel engines are fine in rural areas, EV are best suited for short trips in built up areas with infrastructure to charge them. Hydrogen is still a long way off, nobody is talking about the massive energy needed to split water molecules to make hydrogen.

At present hybrids are probably the best compromise, but that’s really all they are. Is their value going to collapse next?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I'd say the price includes it being on Irish plates, it probably even has them by now. Can't say what the price is like without having a clue what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

The dealers that are selling or trying to sell their overpriced stock are starting to feel the pain.

Soon we will hear from SIMI broadcast ing on rte about how difficult car sales are for them and what help the government can do to stop garages going out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Dealers do not vrt a car until its sold, they have account set up for it, If authorised, a Trader Account Number (TAN) is issued by Revenue. You will automatically be approved to use the non-deferred payment account or 'FACT' account. Details of this account and the conditions for deferred payment are available in the VRT Manual Section 10. you buy it, dealer does the vrt and you drive off with a new reg on it, most people would not even know how to vrt a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well it's simple really down the nct center anyone that can read a few checklist items can vrt a car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

That’s just Donedeal automatically inputting details. The car will be sold on Irish plates like every other car for sale in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

New EV prices are dropping, this makes it harder to sell second hand ones. One example would be a brand new Tesla Model 3, the very very basic model, including grants etc was €56k between 2020 and 2022. In early 2023 they cut this to just over €40k.

Now if you are solely a second hand car dealer you could have bought a ~1 yr old M3 in September 2022. Offered about €45k and sold for about €50k, €5k in the bank minus taxes etc

Now what if you bought it in December 2022 and couldn't sell it before Elon announced his price cuts a few weeks later. You'd have a ~1 yr old car that you bought for €5k more than a brand spanking new one. Impossible to profit from this scenario

An out-of-warranty EV as well won't need to be brought to a main dealer for an overpriced service so there's money lost there for the dealers as well

However her rant about charging a phone and using the heater needing an hour long stop to get you home is just ridiculous. The €20k quoted on a new battery is more like €5k at the moment and €100 for a cell (which is what you will most likely need replaced) It's a bit like if your internal combustion engine goes do you replace the full thing or just the injector that's at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Valid points, but I’d say that person in particular can just about make it home without using the heater etc and if they do use it it means they have to charge. I’d imagine the part about having to charge for an hour is rubbish tho.

Maybe they bought the wrong car, or maybe they were mis sold it with unrealistic range figures.

I’ve never heard of anyone getting their EV repaired for €100 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

Beshoffs had about 5x taycans a while and were doing a ' sale ' on all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

sex sells for this lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

It's surprising how obvious it is . A small bit of cleavage up might expect but ots full on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

I had a loan of a 2010 or so (US reg so not sure) Prius a couple of weeks back for a 30km commute, and while I hated the driving experience and certainly didn't try to get good fuel economy, I was genuinely shocked at how good it was. If it's like anything else I've driven, I'd have no problem seeing it do 10-20% better again with a bit of care.

It reported well over 50MPG US (60MPG Imperial / 4.7l/100km) without even trying, in a mix of city traffic and motorway. I'm actually considering buying one as it uses half the fuel of my GLC, and I don't have a home charger.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Two topics going on this thread, the EV market and Nadia's PR exercises.

In relation to EVs, the dogs on the street know they are overpriced and the knock-on effect of the Ukraine war has subsided. VW slashing retail prices is all you need to know.

In relation to Ashford Motors, I've watched some of her posts for some time and the amount of abuse she has to endure is ridiculous. Be it other dealers or petrol heads, or lads who just don't like to see a women get ahead of the pack. She is targeting multiple demographics and is getting the results on her social platforms. I don't know how this translates to sales, but she is a businesswoman at the end of the day and I can imagine everything she does is focused on the business. If a good looking woman using her natural talents to get ahead bothers you, then you alone can only answer why it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement