Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apparently Ashford Motors no longer take EVs as a trade in.

Options
  • 28-02-2024 5:57pm

Just heard this being talked about on Newstalk. Must say this would utterly shake my confidence in wanting to buy an EV in the future. How big of a dealership is this company? What if this policy spreads to other dealers?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭User1998

It’s already been discussed here at length. Maybe someone can link the thread?

Ashford Motors is not a big dealership but there are already plenty of garages that don’t want EV’s as trade ins. Some will just lowball you and sell the car directly to other dealers.

Ah right, sorry. Didn't know there was an existing thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭goochy

shes going to be on hard shoulder between now and 7 - sure knows how to get publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ah its been a bit of a tiktok story for last few days. They're a social media driven car sales company owned and fronted by a lady with a large chest on show. They do have nice cars though.

She says they are finding it hard to value them or something.

If that policy spreads to other dealers then it will give an advantage to a smaller number of dealers. There'll always be a market.

There's a few recent price drops in new EVs and a few more expected so the market is volatile at the moment and volatility is not good.

It's like when there's stock market volatility and everyone pulls their money out after losing a few quid on paper and forget to put it back in until it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I have a neighbour and work colleague both struggling very much to get any dealer to take the trade in at all in one case (in or out of brand) and being low balled big time (only looking in brand) in the second. Cars are 3 years old and 2 years old respectively and both looking to trade into new EVs again.

Nobody wants second hand EVs it seems even fairly new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

This might be of interest to some:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭sniperman

ill never drive an ev unless i really have to,love my petrol cars

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And this it

She also has a calendar :)

She's only interested in performance motors I think and this Is just publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How is this thread still even going it was chipper paper 2 weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What kind of eejit buys into the kind of marketing that Ashford motors pushes? Its quite obviously successful for them though

• Advertisement

It might be why competitors pissed off

as i said before , her interview in the mail put me off her a bit . Thought she was sound before that

I think most are not surprised at this stage. I know a few EV drivers who have had concerns for months on the trade in prices of their EVs. This year will see many peoples PCP coming to an end so I don't see many dealers willing to take EV trade ins when they have their own stock returning where people are not paying the outstanding balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The likes of Ashford don't have returning PCP cars

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So what your saying is it's a good time to pick up a bargain on an EV.

... and don't buy off a dealer that won't take it's own cars back as a trade in. Ok then.

PCP rates for those getting new and used EVS going to go way up due to poor residuals ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

She's a master of getting publicity. How many other small luxury car dealers sell calendars, have a feature on newstalk, social media presence etc.

Fair play to her IMO. She's clearly a smart lady and knows her business model. I found her dealership organically as they always seemed to have nice cars that came up in my saved searches. Everyone and their mother knows who Ashford Motors are these days, so she's clearly making a name for herself.

If I were an attractive woman who liked cars, I'd do exactly what she does. Fair balls to her as I said., pardon the pun!

Lol, prius was doing 60 to 75mpg. Any day of the week tbh.

She's a publicity seeker as is her right but let's not sugar coat it for anything more than it is. A small second hand car dealer boosting their profile.

You can't get a bargain on an EV.

You will always be at a loss after buying it.

Dealers don't need to take EV trade ins from people who don't have contracts already with the dealers.

Peoples expectations of what they think their EVs are worth on trade in versus what the dealer could sell it for are wildly different.

Depreciation on EVs is amazing.

Then they just don't want them and I'm not surprised.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of cars all lose money after buying them. Even for ICE cars the time to buy is when the initial depreciation from new levels off.

The irony is not too long ago EVs actually had little to no depreciation. Due to supply issues and other issues. The recent price drop in EVs is a relatively recent development.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/do-electric-cars-depreciate#gref

Oh look another new account praising herself after threads popped up about the business. How novel...

You'd want to be chronically miss-informed to buy a petrol car (prius) over diesel for long distance sales rep driving.

But that's the sales game, selling fridges to Eskimos.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭electricus

Interesting that my experience is the opposite to yours - my last combustion car caused me nothing but trouble. I always put it down to being a bad car rather than the engine or fuel type as I’ve also had great cars of all types.

Most ‘industry’ articles and reports are BS designed to sell something and target our confirmation bias. Likewise the sales and marketing techniques used by dealers, some more than others.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I first heard about this second hand ev problem from a car dealer in June last year. Nobody wanted to buy a used Hyuandi they had in stock for about 3 months at that stage. Everyone who watches any social media car channels knows about this, look at the Porsche taycan values plummeting in value. Fair play to Nadia for calling it as she sees it. Customers don’t want EVs that are out of warranty plain and simple. I just wonder what the knock on affect will be for new car sales?

Older and some not so old diesel cars have their EGR and timing chain issues too. I know SFA about petrol or hybrid cars as I’ve never owned one. But I think older pre 2016 (euro 6 emission?) cars will hold their value a lot better now than a couple of years ago.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement