Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Apparently Ashford Motors no longer take EVs as a trade in.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Its really cool how you can set up a car sales business in this country.

How do i do it where do I get finance for hundred grand plus motors.

Many questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,689 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Not bothered by her sales model, the fact she's a female rock on. Doesn't bother me one bit at all.

The fact a second hand car sales outfit which are ten a penny gets on national airwaves spouting spoof is a bit bizarre.

Alas calling me a soy milk afficionado is a bit weird I thought.

As I said she can do what she likes but get a grip on information. Her lashing out cos she got stuck with a model X is silly stuff. The dogs on the street know which cars sell and don't including EVs or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There are two things here. EV prices are falling because there is excess supply, supply that is well ahead of demand. Looking at the used car market, that's obvious.

On Ashford Motors though, I think what you've states is an extremely lazy characterisation of the criticism. No one, especially existing owners is going to be a fan of someone that goes on air to spout misinformation about the car type they own. Misinformation that feeds into an atmosphere which will make it even harder to sell their car when they need to. They are especially not going to like it when such commentary is as blatantly self serving as this - designed to drive clicks, engagement and ultimately revenue on their socials.

Not everything is driven by misogyny or jealousy and it's absolutely tiresome when these are wheeled out as a rebuttal to valid criticism.

Something seems not right with the whole deal.

Have a look.

Nah man it has to be jealously and because she's a woman.

Oddly enough I'd prefer to buy a car off a female the can talk less bollix and on their game.

Shit, I meant ..no eh...stereotypes booooo... women..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have not listened to the radio piece, my comments are in context of seeing the abuse she has gotten over the last year.

If in the business of selling cars ,why not make the reg plates clear.

The question I would ask ,are they real ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

She just re hashing something that's actually a far wider issue in the motor industry

Cars these days are crap, they're to expensive, to complicated, build quality is lack luster, And you just can't drive a car in a city anymore.

Fewer and fewer young people today have aspirations to drive (CSO has this data and its dropping slowly), and there are even fewer people who'd buy a car, own it for 10 years minimum before getting a new one. People in their 40's up want a new car every 3 or 4 years and are creating huge churn of used vehicles that no one wants.Like there are 30,000 second hand cars that are less than 4 years old for sale on on Donedeal at them moment.

It's a mugs game, the last person in the world I'd be buying a car off of is a 2nd hand car dealer (Stealer). I remember being offered €13k for a vehicle I spent €19.5k on only 12 months earlier with 6000km on the clock.

Nadia has come a long way since fleeing the war in Somalia. Just goes to show even if you start with nothing you can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Someone (dunno if true) posted the original issue was a hybrid not an EV.

Boards is another social platform that businesses can use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

Regarding "being offered €13k for a vehicle I spent €19.5k on only 12 months earlier with 6000km on the clock", that sounds about right.

In a normal year, one expects 20% depreciation on a typical car - meaning a €19,500 car is worth about €15,600. That leaves its value €2,600 off the trade in value offer.

Deduct the costs to prep for sale, advertising costs, costs of tying up money whilst it's for sale and eventual tax to be paid from this €2,600 and you're left with the dealers profit/income. This assumes the dealer doesn't have the cost of keeping a yard or premises, the costs of which need apportioned across all the vehicles they sell in a year. Of course, they do and this reduces profit further.

For some reason, people who've never been involved in business before seem to think that almost every penny they hand over for goods and services goes straight into the sellers back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭goochy

no thats alot to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The interview she did on Newstalk shed light on the significant hurdles confronting dealerships, particularly smaller ones, in the realm of electric vehicles (EVs).

It's evident that issues like fluctuating EV prices, uncertainties surrounding technology updates and battery warranties, and consumer perceptions about resale values and trade-in prices are major concerns.

The attitudes observed among end-users, as evidenced on this thred, reflect the apprehensions surrounding these factors, further complicating the EV landscape. With such volatility in pricing and persistent worries about technology and warranties, it's understandable that some consumers may opt to steer clear of EVs altogether, thus contributing to the observed disparities in resale values compared to new vehicle prices.

There are people with money out there, who have no issues spending 60-80K on a new EV and who have no issues taking a major it on a trade in for the latest and greatest EV a few years later to get the newest tech but those people are few and far between in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Prices aren't fluctuating, they're falling. It's very hard to be a seller in a falling market

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

so, you said you had the prius in 08, so i was gfoin off that, like for like now.

prius, 65mpg.

best mondeo, 52mpg.

<snip>

even, the last model prius beats your ford. 56 mpg

Post edited by L1011 on

no one likes to lose lots on a car

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

I thought the pro EV people were all Liberal left wing types, turns out they are also misogynists

i am not pro EV and i am not a misogynist - i guarantee there are more women judging Nadia unfavourably than men . The journalist who interviewed her in the mail is a feminist and i guarantee she was all over Nadia in the interview but doesnt approve of her sales tactics .

Feminists want it every way , men cant objectify women but women can objectify themselves ,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,480 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm a pro EV nut but I am as far removed from liberal lefty nonsense as you can get.

are you a misogynist ?😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its not just that they are falling though, its that there are a significant amount of things that effect price MORESO than traditional ICE cars, so the risks are higher.

But yes, falling prices aren't good for any sellers.

What like mileage and wear ...

Cars are cars. I bought our EV because it costs my wife 1.11 to get to the office versus 10.56 in the diesel.

Plus I won't have to be under the fking thing fixing whatever next engine yolk decides to go on me. Il reserve my time for classics that I want to pick up and enjoy working on.

EVs smash the traditional ICE car for arguably over 60 percent of the population. To be frank. And our family rely heavily on cars for everything. I'm no eejit and research the absolute shite out of every single purchase because I've got weird OCD about not being caught out.

I think many people are kidding themselves buying a new diesel or even a hybrid today frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭marathonic

If you can't afford to loss 20% in a year, or half in three years, in a car (plus dealer margins if you're buying from dealers), then you're in the wrong car.

This has been the normal amount to loss on a car for decades and is not exclusive to EV's.

Most of the period between covid and now have not been normal times and you could get away with losing very little, or even gaining, on an average car kept for a year or two - that party is over....

nope EV depreciation on another scale , Porsches have always held their value extremely well - how do explain Taycans being reduced in price to sell like Beshoffs had about x5 altogether ?

Do a tinny bit of research in the UK... just a tiny bit... I dare ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Well then how was I able to sell it privately for €16k? (Note at the time the dealer had similar vehicles of age and mileage up for €17k)

6000km is nothing, it's barely run in. This 20% myth is something peddled by car dealers.

Advertising is €20 euro on DD, There is no prep, vehicle had it run service only 6 months previous and was clean.

19k is cheap for a vehicle, you scale that up something like a 1 or 2 year old 5 series, the profits are huge.

2nd hand car dealers are a RIP OFF! The only value they offer is convivence, IE "I don't have to sell my car and I'm prepared to take an absolutely massive hit for the convivence of that"

People who change their car every 2 years are creating so much churn, we've a stack of 2nd had cars that cant be sold and there's a heap of debt associated with those cars. It's a ticking time bomb. A poster said earlier that PCP is partly responsible for this too.

Are you expecting the dealer to make 1k profit? Cmon lad that's just still tbh. They've to clean , repair anything that needs it provide warranty and deal with all the sales and admin. What sort of margins are you expecting..

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭FaaF

You're arguing against me yet everything you say has just proved my point. I said it's worth about €15,600 after a year and you ask how then were you able to sell privately for €16,000 - that's a whooping €400 difference.

You then go on to state that "this 20% myth is something peddled by car dealers" - and this after admitting that you sold a €19.5k car after a year for €16k, taking an 18% hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Same as myself. I had spreadsheets and documented my mileage, diesel, tax, insurance, and maintenance for a year before deciding to move to an EV. it's a big investment so I gave it the attention it needed.

I was paying on average €270 per month for diesel, €670 for tax, insurance was €580 and maintenance was averaging out at around €400 p/a. The total average annual cost was €4890. Now, I'm paying around €65 per month on electricity, €120 tax, €305 insurance and I project around €150 on maintenance. So €1355 p/a or a saving of €3,535 versus diesel.

I expect my car to depreciate by around 50% over 3 years, as all cars will (from €32,500 to around €16,250). However, when I offset the savings of €10,605, it makes it far more palatable. If I went for a new diesel, I would have made some savings but they wouldn't be anywhere near what an EV offered.

The car is lovely to drive and I have only charged publicly 3 times with no issues... I normally would have been into the forecourt 2 -3 times a month to fill up with the diesel and I live in the arsehole of nowhere, so home charging is fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement