Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand Loyalty

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

Brands mean absolutely nothing to me, buy purely off quality and value. Have had both Apple and Android tech. Shop in Aldi/Lidl 99% of the time.

There are certain branded products I buy purely because I like the taste of them eg. Carlsberg (I know most won't agree on the tatse). However if they doubled their prices I'd become a Heineken man fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's fuck all to do with "brand loyalty".

I've worked and can still on either hardware, whether it's a Mac or a PC. The point I'm making is that there's nothing a Mac can do that a PC cannot where design is concerned.

And I've worked in the "industry" for decades in one capacity or another. The idea that a Mac is better for design work has been gone for donkey's years. If you'd asked me a quarter of a century ago if Mac's ran design software better than your average PC, then I'd have said yes. But today, there's nothing in it and that's been the case for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I used to repair iPhones . I would never buy one after that. I buy the cheaper chinese phones now. It's all in your head I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're wrong I'm afraid, I admire your loyalty and you should stick to what you like and please, if you don't mind.. I will too!

It's like saying an Opel Corsa can do anything a Ferrari can and you're right, it's just the Ferrari does it differently.

That's why design agencies, ad agencies and even creative departments in traditional businesses use Macs, what do you work at? I'm a photographer & graphic designer working on the Adobe suite and after working in one agency (at the accountancy dept request) that changed to PC (and quickly changed back) I won't be moving over to PC's!

By the way, for your information, Apple don't really market their professional products to the creative industry ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

They tried it once, google “new coke”

it didn’t go well.

• Advertisement

It hasn't anything with "loyalty" to a brand. PC's aren't a brand.

The fact of the matter is is that there is nothing, NOTHING WHATSOEVER, that a mac can do that a PC can't and your weak car analogy only shows that you don't really know what you're on about. If you think a PC equals an Opel Corsa and a Mac equals a Ferrari, it only compounds your ignorance on the matter.

What you're saying is essentially thus...you can't use a PC for your design work, therefore Macs are "better".

Enjoy the rest of your day. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

These threads come up all the time and the OP always has these:

Heinz Ketchup

Hellman's Mayonnaise

Heinz Beans.

just don't get why people think first of all that these are quality products or the best in their class. If you must buy them then Irish brands like Chef or Bachelors are probably better but can people stop holding these 3 items up as vital foodstuffs.

Don't get me wrong, you're branded and heavily marketed PC's are great for pottering around in design, photoshop etc... Even working professionally but Macs are far superior, that's why professionals use them much more than pc's. It's nothing to do with Brand loyalty (on my behalf anyway) it's just what works better for me.

As I've said before I used pc's in an agency for design work and it just didn't work out. Clunky, slow, tedious and unsuitable.

You can google it further, there's lots of info out there why we use them.

Have you tried Ballymaloe Mayonnaise? It gives Hellman's a run for its money Murph.

That's all nonsense.

And I don't need to google anything. I was trained on Power Macs, worked on Mac pros and Macbooks and worked with PC's of various flavours.

I'm, right now, using both Photoshop and Lightroom processing RAW's on a PC.

There is nothing "superior" about a Mac no matter how much you keep banging that outdated drum. The main difference, these days, apart from basic OS layout is Apple's hideous over pricing.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid you're argument is unconvincing and your post history never mentions working in the creative realm so I'm going to refrain from taking your advice. Myself and millions of other designers, art directors, photographers etc... will continue using Macs! I'm sorry it bothers you and thanks for the advice!

I guess there's just no getting through to iZombies.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Enjoy your mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No as I don't buy mayonaise as I don't see it as a major food requirement but if I did I'm sure it would be better than the mass produced american stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dont have loyalty to either of the main OSs, im merely saying the idea of one being better than the other is a fallacy. the adobe software i use regularly (photoshop, illustrator, lightroom) are as good as on one as the other, for example

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

This is not the case from my experience. I have had many high-spec PCs crash when working on large multimedia files - they freeze and I end up having to reboot. I never had the same issues with a Mac Pro. They seem to be able to handle the files better than a PC and I have rarely experienced a program crashing.

Perhaps there is a custom-built PC that would handle it, but for an off-the-shelf model, I would always opt for a Mac Pro but... however, they are very expensive. I'm only going by my 20-plus years of experience and I am definitely not an Apple fanboy - I wouldn't touch an iPhone as I hate the OS and I think they're overpriced and too restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Duff beer. I would like to take this opportunity to express my fondness for Duff beer.

(Duff Lite only).

That discussion has been done & had. It's been decided that pc's are great for dabbling with creative suites, but Mac wins when it comes to serious work. Ask any professional working in the field, talk to a design agency, have a look at an advertising agency et...

i think its more correct to say that youve decided rather than its been decided. like i said, there's no real difference in reality. in my area of design, i would argue that 'serious' work is even less convenient on Mac due to some software not being available, but tbh its not a major problem due to workarounds

its basically personal preference, but one isnt actually 'better' than the other

I've had plenty of spinning wheels of death on Macs. Crashing is generally not a hardware issue. It's software. That means it's more than likely an Adobe problem more than the machine you're using it on.

• Advertisement

No, it's been decided. Again, ask any professional working in the graphics & photography field, talk to a design agency, have a look at an advertising agency et...

okay yes you are correct, nobody uses anything other than Mac in professional settings, they are completely different and Mac is so much better, just saying 'design' isnt a completely general term and it have a much more varied meaning to to way you seem to be using it, every software is available for Mac and they aren't incredibly overpriced for the specs included. All hail our genial overlords Jobs and Cook!

smh

In "certain" professional settings, not all, an accountancy firm for instance would use PC's. This is perfectly acceptable and I'd commend them for their choice. Admin people usually use PC's too, and for good reason. Now, before you jump down your local accountants neck, these are suitable and work best for their type of business.

They suit your needs too. And fair play to you, we all have our little loyalties, some more than others. (nodding my head)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of audio and video places have left Apple due to the poor quality Pro hardware in recent years (unserviceable dustbin being the big issue), poor updates to Logic and Final Cut and the continuing presence of Premiere which has worked better on Windows than Mac since the Premier Pro rewrite, which is now 20 years ago.

ASIO has removed the main advantage Apple had in this area.

DTP and photoshop places are still all Apple but lots of what they do could probably have been done on MacOS 9 just as well as it can on modern hardware (well, I don't think even a maxxed out dual G4 would have handled modern photo resolutions well)

Yeah, agree. I'm mainly working on DTB, indesign, illustrator, Lightroom, Photoshop & some Premiere Pro so it's Mac for me, it's what works best for me. I know my business.

I see some of the very high end audio & video producers using very very high end specced up pc's all right. I wouldn't go calling them fanboys, zombies & tell them they haven't a clue etc... They're using what's best for them. They know their business.

Advertisement