Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand Loyalty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Brands exist all over the world, brand loyalties and brand battles exist all over the world, it's certainly not a unique Irish thing, try telling a certain cider drinker in Normandy to change brand to another one and you'll have a long education as to why one is better than the other, tell an Ozzy penguins are better than Tim Tams etc.... It goes on.

Apple tops it for the creative work I do, been using them since they came out, nothing comes near them I'm afraid, that's why they're the standard in my industry. Regarding ION, as already stated, tried - tested - trusted. Nothing beats trying something, reading about them is interesting and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The idea that some 250 quid android phone made by some no name Chinese company has comparable features, security, and polish as an iPhone is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

A good Android pisses all over Apple. Apple is years behind but use their cult like followers to drive sales

Agreed. I had a Huawei a few years ago and it was well advanced as well as having a better camera and battery. I just didn't have the patience & was too busy to work it out and get used to it, I use the phone for work so I just stuck with the iPhone I was used to.

Back on the topic, I'm not seeing a lot of blind brand loyalty here, just preference of quality compared to Italian people for instance.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fairy washing up liquid.

I normally eschew buying brands as the generic ones sold by the supermarkets are often made on the same production line as the named brand products,

But Fairy is the best, no contest. IMO no other washing up liquid comes near.

Tesco's dishwasher tablets are pretty much as effective as the Finish and Fairy ones, for less than half the price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Brand "loyalty" is for bloody morons.

That being said, I will stick to certain makes for a time because I feel they are better made. Nvidia over AMD for instance, but that may be a legacy thing AFAIC. Intel will get the first look over other options, despite being generally more expensive. But if it came down to it, it wouldn't take me a seconds thought to opt for some other brand if it felt right to me.

...however, I will absolutely opt for anyone but Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

No loyalty. Why would I? Way over priced and not worth it.

Only thing I like is north face coats. Have been buying them for years. still doing ok.

Own brand washing powder/fabric softener/beans/bread/milk etc . Everything.

Most taste and are way nicer than the brands.

Even if I had money to burn still wouldn't waste it on names just for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hud6009

Really bugs we when I hear people on sites arguing about De Walt v Makita V Milwaukee tools, I use De Walt but only cause the first Drill/Driver set I bought was De Walt so I had some batteries and went from there, they’re all good but, get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bord Gais

Sky

AIB

Aviva

Laya

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭thereiver

I like Tesco teabags or lyons teabags android phones you can't sideload apps on iphones and there's no earphone socket ,apart from I don't want to spend 500euro on a phone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

Firms exploit this, as expected, by charging higher prices.

Recall when Lidl entered the market, there were even newspapers articles about whether people would go into the store.

"Savvy customers go for wine and cheese", implying that nobody would buy the own-brand groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Irish spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I do the opposite I have not used a certain shaving company's products since Thierry Henry hand balled back in 2009 - he used to be sponsored by them. I threw all the stuff away immediately after the match.

I have come the conclusion I am the opposite to brand loyalty, I don't like fancy brands that have to hype themselves up. If they were that good why advertise it so much? I reluctantly brought an iphone, mainly because I changed bank and needed one for account security etc. Got it second hand. I was given a second hand Macbook as a present, was told iphone would be good because they interconnect etc Would have been happy with a phone that just had text on it.

I have no problem changing 'brands' if I see a cheaper product that does that same job. As long as it is has received decent reviews on neutral websites.

The only products I think am I am "loyal" to is Guinness and Tayto. Because I like the taste better than other products. As simple as that. But even so then I would not eat Tayto the week before Dublin play Meath. Because Tayto are a Meath based company. Used to sponsor them as well.

I would try house stouts/craft etc on occasion or even Murphy's if out "foreign" in Cork. But I would never drink Guinness outside this island tried it in England, horrible stuff

--

I think if people are blindly brand loyal without trying other alternatives on the market, they are far too susceptible to advertising.

Maybe I am an advertisers worst nightmare. I always prefer items that have quality and are good value. That invariably means moving away from hyped up brands. In view it is just herd manipulation.

Take Aways for example - McDonald's is awful. I would much prefer an Italian chipper. Those delivery services brands that constantly advertise, I refuse to use them. If you cannot collect a take away yourself and are too lazy to do that you do not deserve a take away in my opinion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

When it comes to food, groceries, household items and even clothes, have no brand loyalty. Just whatever can be got for a good price and which works / I like.

Only things I can think of for brand loyalty would be cars and tools. Have had BMW's for years. Just like the looks, the driving feel and the comfort/toys. After having so many you become used to their foibles and get knowledgable on fixing problems that crop up. You also end up with a parts bin that can be re-used. So that all fosters a sort of loyalty.

With tools, had a few cheaper models of power tool that didn't even stick up to light DIY use. So now I try to invest in ones that I know will last many years. Can often get them at a good price during online sales etc. Would still pick up cutting discs/drill bits/ assorted bits from Aldi etc because they are consumable items and will do a job regardless of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,503 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fair play to everyone who went to the bother of buying all the brands to test them. There are a lot of different crisps and cornflakes to compare. When I looked at the list of ingredients for cornflakes, a lot of them are identical. I wonder would people actually spot the difference if someone stuck a bag of cheap cornflakes into the fancy Kelloggs box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So you're saying you are loyal to the DeWalt brand then but look down on others for their loyalty? 😄

For me, Hellman's mayo is the only way to go. And Heinz beans and ketchup. Other brands just taste crappy in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭thereiver

McDonald's is cheap food it's not as good as an Italian chipper bit it's ok if you are in a hurry .

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

He's not though.

What he does do though is point out how companies (famously Apple) create unnecessary proprietary features to force people to remain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This reads like a list of things people with below average intelligence buy

• Advertisement

They originally didn't carry any branded stuff and now they do, because we are brand loyal fools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I do have an anecdote on that particular example.

I don't eat breakfast cereal, the wife does but couldn't give a toss about which brand as she reckons for the most part they taste similar enough to not justify paying 3-4x the price. I would've been pretty convinced that even that small difference in perception was a placebo from knowing it was the Kellog's box.

So I thought until a few months ago anyway; my parents were visiting and stayed overnight. I put a bowl of cornflakes down for my father in the morning, after one spoonful he said to me, "oh those aren't Kellog's". He didn't see the box or any other packaging and we're not so boring that we've ever discussed preferred cereal brands so he'd even be looking out for it, but straight away he could tell that he didn't have Kellog's in his bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, I can actually vouch for something like that because I've had the same experience myself years ago. My sister used to eat, what I seem to recall, were Dunnes Stores own cornflakes. She gave me a bowl without me knowing where they came from and I immediately tasted that something was off. Checked the date on the milk, it was fine. Then asked how long the cornflakes were sitting there. They were in date. She then told me that they weren't Kellogg's and that she had X brand in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,187 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I decided a few years back to start eating a breakfast in the morning and for it to be in some way healthy.

I purchased it an own brand product and I just ate it.

I can't standard the branded one tough.

Kind of makes me question things if it's what's your used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Definitely worth paying extra for Kellogg's Corn Flakes. I can tell them apart from Tesco and Dunnes versions straightaway.

The Lidl version of Weetabix is awful too.

How to people that think brand loyalty is "for morons" (and then bizarrely name a brand they're loyal to) feel about Irish beef?

what way exactly are Apple “years behind”? From a purely objective standpoint how is the iPhone 15 say that far removed technology wise from the S24 for example?

I think you’re overthinking it and falling in to some snobbery here. 

Some people drive Caterham Sevens that are seriously personalised, from tyres, suspension, tuning etc... They don’t spit at people who drive similarly priced normal cars or consider them inferior or clueless. They don’t sneer and laugh at people that don’t appreciate naturally aspirated engines or drive front wheel drive cars. 

Some people just like different things to you, they’re not into brand snobbery and apple products suit them fine.

Advertisement