Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Auctioneer Pay

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

It's alive and well... If you are a regular mart goer it can be glaring obvious depending on the mart and or the auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

"So in your humble opinion its OK for an auctioneer to puff the price as its an advantage to you, but as a buyer I think its unfair on buyer. It usually happens where an auctioneer has an unknowledgeable buyer. As a buyer I pay auctioneer fees as well so the auctioneer is beholden to both sides".

Absolute rubbish and plain wrong. The primary role of an auctioneer is to facilitate the sale of items or property through an auction. The auctioneer's responsibilities include conducting the auction, calling out bids, and managing the entire bidding process.The seller engages the services of an auctioneer and thus the primary contractual relationship is between the auctioneer and the seller. You're contract with the auctioneer which you say you pay fees for only begins when he drops the gavel to sell you the animal.

Please stop posting false information, you are just making up stuff to either get a rise from folks or furfill whatever sick state you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think you know very little about selling stock

I tell the auctioneer the reserve of the cattle/sheep , if they don't make it they're loaded and go home, it's the auctioneers job to make a sale, & reach my reserve by the means available to them. if they make more well and good . But no way am I going to drop a bundle of cattle under their value if there's only 1 bidder. If they fall short I don't waste the marts time by tangling, tell the auctioneer to move on or if last lot I exit the seller's box immediately. I sell a lot of stock ex the yard to long time repeat customers and the deal is usually made in a few minutes

You best go back to whoever told you this and ask them what Irish laws cover this.

Auctioneers are expected to conduct auctions with integrity, and deliberately placing fake bids, also known as "shill bidding," is considered unethical and, in many cases, illegal, but in Ireland we have no such laws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

An asset with a reserve price means the auctioneer is entitled to bid up to that reserve price. That is why at marts you announce "on the market" to indicate the reserve is met and the highest bidder thereafter will win the lot. No marts in Ireland opperate as "no reserve" auctions. Sold alot of cattle at marts and if in box the auctioneer always checks what you want for animal or that you happy with price before knocking it down. Your property that you are paying him to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Robson99

There are good Auctioneers and bad ones as there is with every profession in life. A good Auctioneer will open cattle up at a figure a bit under what he thinks is their value....or at worst will have them at that figure in a couple of bids. He is not afraid to push the buyer up to a reasonable price on the day.... and on occasion may get caught... lads gone down looking in the rings... gone to canteen etc etc. A poor Auctioneer hasnt the liathroid to open them up at a reasonable price or to push them into their price. The lads around the ring know the Auctioneers that they can bully....its up to the seller to know the value of his stock and not accept the price.

As a buyer you will always end up at the end of the day with a couple that look dear and a few that are value. Usually balances out at end of buying period. Any lad buying that thinks hes always buying value and is always winning is only fooling themselves and there is one in every village

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

If anyone spends a lot of time in cattle marts they will realise that their is a lot of maybe questionable things that go on all the time eg marts promising guarantees to vendors for their stock just to get business in their marts bidding up the animals to their guaranteed price and either someone bids and gets the animals on 1 bid or the mart hammers down but has the part time man in their back pocket and passes on the animals to him

I saw an auctioneer selling a 2yo beef heifer but on the board it said their was a calf registered the bidding stopped when lads at the ring pointed out that she was actually a cow the auctioneer consulted with the vendor and just ignored everyone at the ring and announced that their is a heifer no on her back and he was selling her as a heifer and just continued to sing his song up to full heifer value and ignored all buyers at the ring I often wondered who was the buyer

I saw a mart manager stopping a sale and telling his auctioneer not to take any more bids from Mr x who was bidding at the time the auctioneer refused and continued to take bids from that person stating that he would take bids from anyone I would have thought when he was employed by the mart he should take orders from the mart

Their is good and not so good people in all walks of life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Could ye keep Xxxxx above in Carnaross, never thought much of him in gort.

Post edited by blue5000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

All mart auctioneers are gansgters in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

If the beef heifer had a calf and the auctioneer and seller stated her as maiden the buyer had a come back when he killed her in the factory as a cow, they would be liable for the difference in cow and heifer price, that’s why marts state maiden heifers are sold as maiden, if the auctioneer continued to take bids from Mr X well the manager wasn’t the boss and looked poor in front of the audience,

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

That manager looked poor for a long time but most lads thought he was a great man the reality was he stayed in the job for too long imo most managers should at most stay for max 20 years as they get sick of it and it's a very stressful/thankless job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

Is baltinglass still going. I was looking to watch it online last sat morn and it wasn’t on the app. Maybe they’ve stopped the online?

Post edited by Tileman on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

They are not all gangsters. You can't paint them all with the same brush. I buy a fair amount of livestock every year so I know who to trust or not.

I agree with most managers in the job for too long. I know of a few who are gone very stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

You seem to have a major issue with all auctioneers. If you are selling cattle, you are in control..if the price the cattle are making in the ring is not what you want then call "no sale". Very simple. The auctioneer cannot invent a super price for just your cattle..On the other hand if you are buying cattle, dont blame the auctioneer if you gave too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Tell me what auctioneer aren't selling cattle don't be fooled looking after their dealer buddies. I know a clerk working in a number of marts and they said the corruption is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ESetter

As I said if you dont like the price you are getting call "no sale"..the auctioneer cant take the cattle off you. Bigger fool you to walk out of the sellers box when your cattle are gone and then start complaining about the auctioneer. There is a lot of people fairly happy with auctioneers/marts at the moment with the prices cattle are making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Well then if you don’t Like marts and auctioneers then sell them on dung deal in your own yard, and pay no expenses to anybody, but takes a fair man to tell the weight of an animal by looking at them with out a weighing scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Good loser

I bought 7 stock in 4 lots on Wed. And bid on many more. All was fair dealing with two auctioneers.

Advertisement