Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Auctioneer Pay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Farmers can be very fussy about calf prices I saw a man last week refusing to sell calves for 45 euro he wanted 5 more and taking them home from the mart and yet lads will send adult animals to the mart and won't go as they say they have no time too much work to do at home which doesn't make sense as you only have 1 chance to sell your animals

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

I haven’t sold calves in thirty years so maybe calves are different . But with any other cattle , be in the box and be seen to be in the box .

The cattle trade is so full of swindlers that it is hard to keep up with the scams . I saw one in Ennis last Autumn . A fine forward store bullock came into the ring , about 550 kgs. One of the ‘gentlemen‘ around the ring asks if he is a bullock and the auctioneer repeats the question . Seller confirms animal is a bullock but by then the doubt had been created. If the owner hadn’t been present would he have been sold as a bull and of course, at a discount ?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

He sells in both marts as I mentioned and also sixmilebridge mart I hear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Was in the mart recently and saw cattle being sold subject with the owner up the steps. Another asked why he wasn’t in the box, he told the last time the auctioneer put them on the market when he said no. He now sees them been sold and then follows into the office to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

I don't go to the mart when they are being sold. But I am prepared to hook up to the trailer and go back for them. I took home 3 of 4 cows that I wasn't happy with prices of a fortnight ago and came out €450 better off in the factory. If you know your numbers you will be OK regardless of on phone or in person.

I have often had more than one bite at selling my cattle. The local auctioneer knows that I don't mind hauling them home by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's the proper job. It's picking me all weekend that I left them go. If I had sold subject it would given me time to calculate. I had too old dry cows, one was 12 in fairness, nearly finished they averaged 1.70 per kg.

What kind of kilout would an old cow, say p+

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

In my mind from seeing cattle and sheep being sold at marts, selling subject is selling at a lower price. Many years ago I recall my father booking 5 big bullocks into mart. I brought 3 bullocks to mart first. Mart told not to put through ring until all together. Head home to get another 2. By the time I return, of course they put through the three. Father into mart office to say that he wants them through together. The same fella had bought all three subject and he was in office and said we would get no more. Father said not to worry that there was more about to buy a few cattle. Through again and the three each went for a few hundred more. And none bought by the first fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

It is the case that come the autumn after the summer grazing that some cattle will be sold and no seller will be present and the cattle will not be coming home. Know of a fella that used to work in a mart years ago. He would keep an eye out for these cattle. So they go through sold subject. The call would be made to seller saying that in the ring sold subject at price of x. And by the way another buyer has offered say €20 extra. What do you want to do. It filled up the shed every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

During covid everything was sold subject, i appreciated having a half hour to size up the bids, selling in the box you need to be on the ball, there's usually 2 lads already in there taking about the weather when all you want is to get into the box to sell your cattle, bids are coming in for an animal that could be gone out of the ring with sevaral minutes, you're trying to recognise your cattle in case they mixed up the numbers, auctioneer pressing you to sell, you are trying to get a glimpse of the scales so you can put a ballpark price on the next one through while also trying to remember the price of the beast that is currently selling but is'nt in the ring any more! and nobody likes to sell cattle cheap...it's stressfull.

In my local you can just about see the auctioneers screen from the box and you can see the price per kilo which i find a good guide to how you are doing, outside of that then i try to have martbids loaded on the phone and pray the wifi holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Robson99

Jasus if lads cant have the value of the cattle made up when they are on the scales they may give up. If i bought something subject and the seller neededa half an hour to make his mind up id be telling the mart manager that I no longer wanted it and was going to bid on other cattle. as I said 5 mins max.... you dont get time to make your mind up when you go to the factory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The co op and manager marts are hard work compared to owner operated Marts, the owner mart is interested in both sides and it’s in his personal interest to keep everyone coming back, the co op/ manger gets their money/ wages regardless. You only have to go back when the exporter from the midlands went belly up and the marts that got caught for money and who thought he was king, with the online now it’s very easy to watch and see what your type of stock you’re selling are making before going to the mart. But you would be surprised the amount of lads that turn up to the mart with stock and haven’t a clue what weight, grade, price the animals are worth and the same applies with the factory cattle also. There is a lot of dealers who buy for farmers, stud farms, etc in most marts and are also required to keep a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In Carnaross since covid everything appears to be sold subject for the bullocks & heifers. You can go into the box and look for more but auctioneer doesn't pass much notice, drives the animal on as far as he can and then you let the office know. For suckler cows or even cull cows you are as well off in the box to give information on the animal for sale. I don't know what the story is with calves as I haven’t been at the calf mart in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

In the box you don’t get a say on the final price. Just what price they go on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Everything is put on the market here, and it has no effect if the animal is sold or not! it's just a phrase that's thrown in at random points in the bidding process!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

I haven’t seen a mart in years where cattle are put on the market. The last one I remember around here like that was Tullamore and it must be heading for 20 years ago they stopped doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Had the auctioneer try and knock a heifer down to a dealer on the cheap today. Heifer wasn't a matcher for any of the others, was younger and lighter but i said I'd chance her as she was a good quality heifer. Long story short I was unable to attend so watched online, the heifer got less than 15 seconds in the ring and the auctioneer spent less than 30 seconds by the way tring to sell her before quickly knocking her down to his mate and quickly commencing the sale of the next lot.

I quickly rang the mart and told them no sale and it waould be late afternoon before I could collect her. 2 hours later the mart rings back asking will I sell her as the "buyer" is ready to load her, I told them it's too late, I've transport organised, why don't they supervise there auctioneers instead of ringing me trying to do deals over the phone.

Price and weight? Mart managers have a lot to answer for I think

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Sold 3 pairs 340 - 365kg they averaged 1040

The heifer in question weighed 270kg, she was knocked down for 630. some price difference for what was a comerade of the others.

• Advertisement

That's what your dealing with at the marts a shower of crooks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On the online software, is there a timer from the final bid to the "sold" hammer down. This would help some way to prevent auctioneers knocking down cattle to their buddies.

I was watching online today (Ennis I think) and I couldn't believe how quick one animal was knocked down. Looked like only seconds.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Not being smart here but why don’t you take it up with the mart manager yourself and tell him your not happy about his carry on and tell him to go back and look at it online the sale of the heifer and how he’s acting and ask him who was the buyer and would he like this to get out around the local area. Fella gets a name for that sort of thing hard to get away from it, a couple of years ago in the mart canteen the owner was having his lunch and the second auctioneer was selling in come two farmers to him and in front of everybody to hear that if he didn’t go back to sell their cattle they would be let straight out through the ring and they would be in another mart the next week and all their relatives wouldn’t sell in his mart again. He got up from the table and back up and sold their cattle and to this day he sells their cattle not any other auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Delvin mart still uses the box. Won't go on the market till ee give the nod

Be in the sellers box and be seen to be in the sellers box,on the market from the start or not . Too many gangsters in the trade

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Why do you think it’s better to be in the sellers box ?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

How would the buyer know? There is no indication of whether a seller is present or not until the sale is finished (in the marts we sell on anyway). I also wouldn’t say on average there is any difference in prices we have gotten selling subject vs being there.

We find it very handy now to be honest we drop off stock in the morning and often just follow online at home while getting other work done rather than wasting the best part of the day hanging around the mart - sometimes we do come back for the sale but less than half the time I reckon. Also give you time to think about the price as another poster mentioned.

Always get the call fairly fast also (10 mins or so after sale) so I don’t think buyers are left hanging.

Post edited by SodiumCooled on

Anyone with any experience of selling cattle will be able to pick up if no effort is being put in by the auctioneer . Your presence in the box is enough of a deterrent to an auctioneer to engage in anything nefarious .

It isn’t just cattle. I was an unsuccessful bidder on a house a few years ago where the sale price as recorded on the property price register was less than what I had bid . I challenged the auctioneer on it afterwards and his response what that the buyer had cash. He had no way of knowing wether I had cash or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭cjpm

You were being puffed by the auctioneer. There was no other bidder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lmk123

I’ve bought and sold a couple of houses, auctioneers are the scum of the earth, I’d rather live under a bridge than to ever again deal with one of them, I think deep down there would need to be something badly wrong with a person to do the things they do. I caught one out last week just by chance, told me a house was sale agreed and he wasn’t taking anymore bids, I know the lad selling it and I rang him, he went frantic, had absolutely no knowledge of going sale agreed and not happy with the bid, now going to a different auctioneer, made my week

Advertisement