Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Auctioneer Pay

Options
  • 17-02-2024 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Wondering what sort of money do mart auctioneers get paid per sale? Do they get paid per animal sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

To be honest I don't know but some of them get a large brown envelope around Christmas time 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭limo_100

More than one. They knock a lot of cattle down cheap to lads around the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Gangsters they are

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RockOrBog

I've noticed a few times lately, in my nearest mart, an animal will sell online, come up as sold, and a few seconds later will be opened up again to the ring buyers, one more bid and it's quickly marked sold to the tangler.

The same mart I had hassle in one time I sold a few beasts, the manager tried to fob me off I said, don't worry about it I have it all screen recorded on the phone, I won't be long getting it sorted without your help.

The following day they rang apologising and gave me the full money for the animals without taking any fees at all. Shower of crooks.

• Advertisement

What mart? I've had the experience too when you go into the sellers box the auctioneer can be a right ignorant bollox too. There's a certain auctioneer that sells in kilmallock and listowel and I find him a right gobshite

I'm not sure if I should name names, Boards can be funny about stuff like that.

I just did 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

It’s happening in some marts where the seller is outside bidding on line at his own cattle or sheep or has a mate doing it also, the auctioneer says a problem there with on line and starts taking bids again. Happening at some pedigree inlamb sheep sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Knight

Knew of a lad working in the mart who got caught doing the below.

• Seller left his cattle in to be sold
    • Was waiting for them to go through
    • Never went through
    • Went to auctioner who said they were sold for X price

Turns out the lad working in the mart bought them for himself without putting them through the ring!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭older by the day

A fairly smart farmer near me, always sells his calves subject. Even though he's standing up back. It gives him a chance to think and see how they sold, when they phone he can say yes or no.

That's what I'm going doing from now on, I sold a few cows yesterday and was told by a friend after that one of the hagglers was stopping the one ring side from bidding. I should have taken them to the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭josephsoap

It really just goes to show you what the vendor farmers are losing due the Mart system - a lot to said for anyone in a position to finish their own stock with sucklers/beef

• Registered Users Posts: 29,087 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Alot of the high pedigree cattle price are lads doing their mate a turn. Ruins it for everyone else. Then lads at home reckon their stock are worth these crazy prices

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grass10

Not a great idea to sell subject as buyers are never going to go to the limit as they are half expecting the sale may not go through and might have to give more after many dealers try this trick but it rarely works and also when buyers get used to a man only selling subject they don't even bother to bid on his cattle and he usually gets a bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The online has really shaken thing up though. Everything is recorded now, so any dodgy dealings with auctioneers run a greater risk of being seen.

Anyone know how the online system works exactly? Does the auctioneer put in the opening bid on the system? Who puts in the bids into the system for the ringside bids? Is it the auctioneer himself or the clerk?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 9 captain hadley

I think he is a very good auctioneer if it's the same fellow that you're on about. I wouldn't worry about his manner once he does his best.thats the guy in Kilmallock im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Robson99

It can often be a problem for the lad thats buying though if they are subject and he waiting to find out whether they are sold or not esspecially if just wanting one or two to fill a load. Into the office and the seller cant be got. If seller cant be got after 5 mins its should be deemed sold

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Silverdream

Ennis mart is noted for that tyoe of behaviour, it's gotten worse sense the last manager took over, the drovers are running the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

Id say a lot of you are being a bit overly sensitive. A good auctioneer needs to keep everyone happy and that’s not an easy task.

they need to get the seller a fair price that they are happy with , they need to keep the lad that’s there day in day out happy ( the dealers) and all are mixed in with the lad who lands in to buy a few and doesn’t know the value of stock.

I regularly see dealers stock sold in Carnaross and (one dealer from Leitrim in particular) bringing in absolute scrap that seems to always be sold for crazy money.

the auctioneer in that circumstance has to try and keep him happy and will end up wasting his time selling to non existent bidders until some poor unsuspecting fool raises their hand and ends up with a dear beast.

they then have to sell cattle where the owner thinks all their ducks are swans and those people will inevitably leave thinking they were hard done by.

in both instances it’s either buyers or sellers remorse and it’s easier to blame all around them than accept that most of the time they don’t know the value of stock.

• Advertisement

Auctioneer has a hand held device and presses a button for every ring bid online bids go in automatically I witnessed an auctioneer recently opening a single animal never looked out at the ring sang his song for 30 seconds allegedly getting bids from the ring and online and hammered very fast easy to do it as the owner didn't go to the mart to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭kk.man

I used to think like that but more wiser now. There's a fair few crooks in the game. I know one lad taking fantom bids from the ring...he was caught out by a buyer one day. The buyer told him to go shove his bids up his a@£"^ and any stock he bought that day he wasn't paying for.

Another mart has a auctioneer ex tangler who might as well go back to his former trade.

In one mart in particular the dealers have the exact time slots every mart day and mart management cosy up. Management in Co op marts need a good shake up ...There's a cosy cartel operating for years with regards dealers, committees and renumeration packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I have noticed they have gone back alot this last couple of years, stock not making near as much as neighbouring marts, and if you not there to sell and they are sold subject prices are really low balled.

That's fine but does he have to type in the opening bid as well, as in 8,0,0,enter say for €800 opening bid.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Auctioneers should not be in the same mart for many years they should be moved around by the marts every couple of years

I have seen 1 many times going through the animals before the sale with his close friends (dealers) picking certain lots out for himself then the friends block the ring and if the farmer puts the animals on the market at a cheap price they'll be hammered very fast. The friends blocked the ring 1 day so a genuine buyer walked away from the ring and bid online with his phone the auctioneer got very narky and was making snide comments about the online bidder with each online bid eventually my friend stopped bidding and had not made the animals too dear after the sale somebody ? Told all the friends at the ring who had bid online on that particular lot

The poor farmers selling cattle a couple of times a year don't realise a fraction of what goes on

Twice I got into disputes with Ennis mart over prices I got for cattle sold. This was before online selling. When I went to get a receipt for the sales, the amount was different from what I wrote down myself in the sellers box. On one of these times, a dealer who bought one of my cows happened to come into the office when I was talking about it. They called him over and he said the lower amount was right.

On both occasions they later checked it on the tape recorder and rang me to say I was right.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Tileman

I remember down in Kilkenny a few years ago selling sheep. Around Easter time when Hoggets were making very good money. Would only be there occasionally as not my local mart but the day suited as I was off work.

auctioneer opened them really low and few bids later knocked them down to someone at the ring for 135 from memeroey . I decided to not sell. Loaded them up and brought them straight to Kildare factory. They made 179 after deductions in the factory the same day.

wouldn’t go near the place again after that

Post edited by Tileman on

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Owner should be in the box . Every time . You only sell the animal once. If you can’t be there yourself get a family member to be there but ideally be there yourself . Every time.

Maybe in some marts the clerk would type it in but I'd say nearly always the auctioneer types it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭older by the day

I would have agreed with you up to Friday. You only get seconds to calculate and think. Sell subject, you have a few minutes and you can see what huffling is happening around the ring.

In fairness next month you don't expect a fellow to spend a day in the mart with fr bull calves for 20 euros each.

Advertisement