Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air fryer to replace oven

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

of course not, i even covered that already, as I said previously they might have a fancy oven

all the ovens I have used thus far have taken much longer

not one has come close to 3 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

"you can't beat a toasted sandwich maker though"

I find if you toast your bread in the toaster until it's a bit underdone, then make your sandwich and pop the lot into the air fryer the toasted sandwiches are 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never used an air fryer, a pressure cooker, a slow cooker or a bread maker. And, honestly, I don't feel the need for any of them in my life or kitchen. Don't have a deep fat fryer either. I guess I'm just not a gadget person.

But, really, what a stroppy thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭greasepalm

The only reason i mentioned it as had a shoulder of pork which fitted in grand but expanded up nearer to the element and could smell it burning , and had to transfer to my halogen for further cooking..

Size does matter of how close to top it is and as said Chicken is started off upside down for first cooking and later turned for more cooking on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

LOL….You started calling others out for being “aggressive” (incorrectly, IMO) towards those who prefer a conventional oven. I pointed out half a dozen instances where it was actually the conventional oven side, of which you are a member, who were being aggressive. You have yet to show one example of anyone being aggressive from the air fryer side, I’ve shown you plenty from your side.

Now, when your rank hypocrisy is pointed out to you, instead of accepting or refuting the argument, you’re accusing me (incorrectly again, coincidentally) of being defensive? That’s a fantastic debating style you’ve got there, lashing out accusatory statements like they’re going out of fashion while avoiding the topic at hand. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

There are "sides" now?!?

I don't see how I can be on one or the other, given I own both a conventional oven (actually a dual oven) and an air fryer! 🤣 For the record, I also own a deep fat fryer and a sandwich toaster!

But christ, thanks for proving my point! You're taking this way too seriously, take a chill 💊 ✌️

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Yeah Right

"there is no need for the increasingly agressive tone towards those who still prefer a regular oven over an air fryer."

Yes, sides. You pointed out that one side is being aggressive toward the other. You're the one who differentiated between the two in the first place, remember?

For the record, I'm well chill. I merely pointed out your hypocrisy and you've made multiple replies now without addressing the points raised. Your refusal to address this speaks volumes. But you go ahead and keep pretending others are taking it too seriously, after trying to label others as cranks.

This is hilarious 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

The microwave is underrated

I do a load of stuff in it

Soups and veg

• Advertisement

Which is HEATING up quicker This thread or An Oven Or Air Fryer.

Whichever is cheapest and gets the job done.

Same here as heating up my baked Beans or Reheating second portion of dinner just out of the fridge.

Had to buy a new micro as previous one sparked and stated to smoke inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I can't believe people are getting so exercised by a kitchen appliance.

Or that so many people still have deep fat fryers. I haven't seen one since about 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Or the guy that said chips were highly processed food

I sold on my 2 deep fat fryers after kitchen got upgraded and what a job with all that oil on the wall and cupboards.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

I have soup maker. Better than an Air Fryer any day. Try making soup in an Air Fryer. Double dare ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Great Oven - Air Fryer War of 2024.

Slightly later than everyone elses Oven - Air Fryer wars, but we got there in the end.

You can get dinky little single portion ones now!

I probably shouldn't mention I prefer making stews in a pot, in case stating my personal preference means I'm "taking sides" against those who use slow cookers.

(eta - I have a slow cooker too).

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nice!! These microwaves are gold! Hang on to it!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

The passion and anger has gone out of this thread... disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

I highly recommend

Salter Fuzion 8l airfryer

(double draw size but it has one big draw with a removable separator). It was on sale in Dunnes before xmas so with vouchers used i paid 95eur for it. Amazon has it as well. Moved to it from Tefal airfryer and find it much better.Get silicon buskets for it to keep it clean.

I cook everything in the airfryer except pizza. Food is cooked quicker and airfryer is cheaper to run too.

In the spirit of this thread, I'm picking a fight with whoever said that a pressure cooker is necessary if you like stews. Hogwash, I say. Not only can you make stew without a pc, you can make a better stew without a pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

It's a time saving device like lots are. Bit hard to have a stew on the table after a day at work if that is what you are making for dinner without some sort of gadget like slow cooker or pressure cooker unless you're organised enough to make it night before while wrangling kids to bed or similar.

I no longer have a pressure cooker, broke years ago and never replaced it as prefer slow cooker now but not to leave on all day as such, more as a low saucepan that's not on the hob but then again I have the time for that.

Yes but the other poster in your aggressive pro pressure cooker brigade said that it was necessary if you like stews! I'm calling out this abominable disinformation and those who defend it.

Well i had Steak and Kidney stew done in Ninja Foodi by pc mode as my 3ltr PKP is too small.

2 days more dinners ready. It also has a slow cook mode but never used it.

Mother used to cook it in oven for many hours but times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

WiFi plug ftw. You can switch your slow cooker on and off from work. Or anywhere, obvs.

I never eat a stew on the day I make it. I always make it the day before, I think it tastes better that way :)

I'd usually make enough so I can freeze batches of it for quick dinners another day with freshly cooked spuds, (done in the microwave! 😱)

Again, not shaming or taking sides against anyone who prefers to eat their stew on the same day they cook it, or who cooks their stews using other cooking methods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I would not be without an oven, in-fact we are putting in two full size ovens in our new build kitchen - one will be designated the "grill" mostly but at busy times like christmas etc having two proper ovens is brilliant.

Each item has a place if you ask me I love the airfryer excellent for chips, burgers, you can cook a full fry in it, roast veg, chrispy potatoes and lots more. There is stuff you can do in it but I find the oven better (either size or a better job e.g. salmon and other fish, chicken breasts etc).

The other item I haven't seen mentioned is a slow cooker - I would have it as essential as an air fryer by far the best way to cook meat joints (roast beef, ham, lamb, pulled pork) and certain dishes curries, beef dishes like stroganoff are much better from it. Its a game changer for roast beef especially can put do the fill meal potatoes, veg the lot - stick it on in the morning and done for dinner and beef is melt in your mouth even if its a cheaper cut.

Then the main oven for full turkey, chicken (full, breasts etc), curries, lasagne/cottage pie, fish, pizzas, baking etc. I dont really know how you would do big oven dish type meals without the main oven

They all have their place as does the grill and even George foreman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't mind the stew frozen except for carrots, weird spongey texture on thawing :p, I always make extra and freeze though, if I mash them up with the spuds I dont' notice the texture :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭esker72

Although I've doubted the wonders of the air fryer earlier in this thread one thing that hasn't been mentioned is how well it does sausages. Miles better than frying or grilling.

Advertisement