Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air fryer to replace oven

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Ah come on, there is no need for the increasingly agressive tone towards those who still prefer a regular oven over an air fryer.

It's not a matter of life and death, but one of personal preferencee.

I have an air fryer, a very nice one, but i still think my roasties look better, and more importantly to me, taste better when cooked in the oven. I'm willing to wait the extra few minutes and pay the extra couple of cents worth of electricity for that.

It's not a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Tork

Good point. What has gone kaput? My parents have a fan oven that's on the go since the 90's. The element has had to be replaced a couple of times but other than that, it's still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

how long does the oven take to get to temp?

I find the amount of air that the fan moves in the air fryer is much higher than the oven, cooks totally different, but maybe you have a fancy oven

real men use wood 🤗

who is being agressive?

its an oven, if you want to use yours knock yourself out, plenty of evidence to say there are better results in an air fryer, may depend on which one you have

you cant beat a toasted sandwich maker though 😙

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭esker72

Don't think I'm discounting them entirely, I use mine most days but would never ditch the oven in favour of them. I just don't see the attraction of standing over something for 30 minutes, checking every three or four minutes to see if it's done or giving the basket a shake to make sure it's done evenly. I'd much rather pop something in the oven, go off and either do something useful or else sit on my arse (both preferrable to standing looking at the air fryer), and come back in forty minutes when I know it's going to be done. They're good gadgets but in twenty years time I'd be betting that conventional ovens will still be around but air fryers may not be quite so popular. Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember when the electric carving knife was the dream appliance for every kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Because this is a foodie forum I’d imagine most people would want both. I like my air fryer and it’s great for quick cooks and as a viable replacement for a deep fat fryer. I’d have thought though that most of us like experimenting with various things from time to time and if you’re baking, an air fryer isn’t so good for that. I would expect most would have both but if I had a gun to my head and had to pick one I’d go air fryer because I cook for just me but an oven would still be on my list too because it also has its uses. I’m not sure for instance how an air fryer would cater for an entire family on its own unless it was pretty large.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

You're misunderstanding my post. You don't have to sit over it at all. You check it every 5 mins when the beeps go off, and you only do this the first time you're cooking something new. After that, you'll have your timings down and can plan accordingly.

I also find you logic kinda contradictory. "My time is valuable so I'd rather spend 40 mins cooking in the oven than 20 in the air-fryer"........There is very little that takes longer than 30 minutes in an AF, chips take 15 mins instead of 25-30, so you can set and forget bar the odd shake like you say (which needs to be done in a conventional oven most of the time anyway). then spend the other 10-15 doing whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Air Fryers are great and cheaper to use in the short term at least, but I'm on my 5th air fryer now since about 2013, an oven, while more expensive to buy, will last decades, while air fryers tend to last a few years before breaking apart

(I've had Philips, Swan, and am on my 2nd Ninja after the first one just refused to turn on a few weeks ago.

Plastic handles, baskets and fairings that are just not built to last, compared with a proper oven with high quality metal and glass parts.

Ah come on, there is no need for the increasingly agressive tone towards those who still prefer a regular oven over an air fryer.

It's quite telling that you've picked up on this 'aggressiveness', which is subjective as I've not seen anyone being aggressive, yet ignored the outright insults, judgement and snobbery on display from the 'conventional oven side'...........I'd wager most people would find these aggressive.

The food being cooked in air fryers is still garbage.

It doesn't matter if there's fewer calories from less oil, sausage and goujons diet is still highly processed unhealthy food.

Airfryers are good for things like chips, sausages, gougons............things I rarely eat!

No where near as good as an oven or BBQ.

I've perused a few air fryer "cookbooks", written by Instagram folk not chefs, and it's hardly any wonder Ireland has such an obesity problem with the prevalence/popularity of these machines.

Cheap crap processed food

But in the main air fryer are contributing to even worse diets for a nation that is seriously struggling with obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭esker72

Think you're misunderstanding me. Conventional oven means popping the food in and going to do something useful for the 20/30/40 minutes that the packet will tell me it will take. That could be popping to the park for a walk, jumping in and out of the shower, nipping quickly to the shops etc. Things you can't do when you have to pop back to the kitchen every five minutes when the Air Fryer summons you. Cooking in a conventional oven realistically doesn't take any time other than putting the food in and taking it out. As stated, I use the air fryer for stuff I know and have done many times (chips/onion rings etc) but I'm not enamoured enough by it to start remembering cooking times. I don't do that for the real oven but food producers helpfully provide that information on pack. However, each to their own.

• Advertisement

A couple of points.......

• You don't have to pop back every 5 minutes. You do that the first time you ever cook [insert whatever food you like here]. You compare it to the time on the packet for the conventional oven, then you now know it's X temperature for Y amount of minutes.
    • Remembering cooking times isn't some herculean task. "Oh look, last time I did these for 10 mins less than it says on the box and they were still a bit overdone, I'll drop the temp by 10 degrees and go for the same time". My airfryer has a sticker on the side for common items with temps and times.
    • I don't see any difference in "I'll go to the park for 40 mins while that's in the oven" versus "I'll do these in the airfryer, saving me 20 minutes, and then I can go to the park". The second is preferable to me because you don't have to go home to make sure the food isn't burnt to a crisp.
    • There's also no need to preheat an airfryer like you do with a proper oven, saving another 10-15 minutes at least. Chips would be ready to eat from the airfryer, when they'd only be going into the oven
    • "Cooking in an oven doesn't take any extra time" is an objectively incorrect statement. It takes twice as long in most cases.
    • The cooking information on the pack is wrong more often than it's correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭notAMember

That's called an oven though. ;)

Or at least, an oven with an air fryer "function", which is basically a fan, which ovens have anyway.

Do you even hear yourself?

Its a thread about a fecking cooking appliance?!? What a thing to get defensive over. 🙄

OP, good luck with your choice, whatever it is! You can also have both 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't believe that air fryers will replace an oven. I like them but they're only good for small jobs. If you want to do a big roast, vegetables and roasties then the standard oven is the only job. Air fryer for cooking for 1/2 people at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Have that as well, love it. Pressure cooker with saute function is great for quick stews. Also like doing roast veg with the air fryer function. Got a dreo recently as well, great for meat as my Ninja Foodie model didn't come with a meat probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

Bought a Ninja about a year ago. Best thing ever. I could live without the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've timed them, and the difference to reach temp is only a few minutes between the oven and air fryer. Anyhow, they both have their uses. I've just personally found they have not lived up to the hype.

Charcoal is wood, heated in a minimal oxygen environment 🤗. With the charcoal I get higher heat for crispy chicken wings.

Enjoy your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Thanks all , some great info there. I think we'll pick up one of the ninja air fryers and look into whether it's just the element that's gone in the old one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ablelocks

another option may be the Tefal range - with greater capacity, you might have more options

TEFAL Tefal Easy Fry 9in1 Air Fryer Oven, Grill & Rotisserie 11L FW501 FW501827 - we have this one, with 6 to feed, it just about does enough sides for a dinner, does school lunches faster, great for toasties, can do a small rotiserrie chicken - for lunches or snacks or individual/2 person meals it's really good

I noticed a newer bigger one in Kildare Village a couple of weeks ago

TEFAL Easy Fry Air Fryer Oven Multifunctional 20L FW606840 - they're calling it a combo oven/airfryer.

(they aren't as big as they look in the photos - ours is on counter top under a cabinet, the 20l didn't look much bigger, bit wider but no taller or deeper)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I want one of these now, 2 of us here, would this one fit a 2kg chicken?

Any thoughts on that model?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Trouble with one of those is the amount of height from top of chicken to the element and top of chicken would be more well cooked than other part

+ it will need to be turned at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

My oven has not been used for 4 years or more , only myself to cook for.

I have the old JML halogen oven on which i like to use for steaks and chops and maybe a joint.

Old Philips Air Fryer is used for chips and onion rings.

3ltr PKP was used for stews but pot had issues and use it for Rice Pudding OMG.

Needed a bigger pot and bought the small Ninja Foodi which i can use for pressure cooking and a Steak and Kidney stew on the cards for tomorrow's dinner.

If you like stews then a pressure cooker is needed , i can also air fry and bake but never done bread or cakes. Many have done fab dishes in those units.

Luckily a shelf is handy outside kitchen door and items on there brought in as needed.

ITEMS can be heavy so be warned

I was thinking of a twin drawer but cost and use for one is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

i like my cooking gadgets alright, i have a sage pressure cooker, breadmaker, rice cooker, they all get regular use.

Is it that particular model that would be a problem cooking a chicken or air fryers in general? I watched sam the cooking guy do it and he put it upside down for about the first three quarters of the time.

2kg is an x-large chicken.

I think you'd need one of the airfryers with a double flexible drawer if you wanted to use it for a chicken that size.

I have a Tefal Easy Fry, its 4.2l and it would just about fit two breasts on the bone (with wings), at a squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Snowcast

We have a Ninja Dual drawer 9.5ltr air fryer and haven't used the oven since we got it. Use the air fryer for everything, wouldn't be without it.

Have done a 2KG chicken in it several times with no issues. Same with other joints for roasting.

Highly recommend.

charcoal is not wood, in the same way ash is not wood

the air fryer heats up in 2-3 mins

no oven does, could be 15-20 at least, maybe more to reach the high temp the air fryer does

the wood thing was a joke

I doubt you've used every oven on the market in fairness. My ovens take <3 mins to get to 180C. I never bother pre-heating anymore. ZUG and Miele, both pre-heat very fast.

• Advertisement

Have you a link by any chance? Or it is just a case of Cos I Say So?

Advertisement