Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air fryer to replace oven

Options
  • 12-02-2024 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

Evening all, our oven went kapput today..before I order a new one - I'm wondering whether an air fryer would be a better buy? From what I can see , they do everything an oven does (just without the capacity) - would I be right?

There's only two of us in the house so I would imagine a large air fryer would be large enough for us...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Yeah could be way to go for you, get one with two drawers though. I find mine great and so easy to clean after each use. Have not used oven in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

Im the same. I use the Ninja. About 300 euro. Easy to clean, heats up in seconds. Have not used the oven since bought

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yes could definitely replace an oven if there are only 2 of you. We got one in November and haven't used the oven since and are a family of 4. It will reduce your energy costs also and most things come out nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Personally, I find them way over hyped. No where near as good as an oven or BBQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭con747

Do you have one? I find mine is great, I have the type with different shelves in it and only use the main oven now at Christmas and the power used is half that of a normal oven with quicker cooking times so I don't know why you think they are over hyped?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

I just find it strange you don't think they are one of the best cooking appliances to be produced since the microwave, but each to their own.

Yep, you and me both. Suckered into buying one from all the hype.

Can I ask which type you bought? Was it the one with the round cooking section like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-Circulation-Technology-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B077B9X3SB I had one of those first but found it was only ok for 1 person and needed to be shook every couple of minutes to get a good result. The one I have now I can cook on 3 shelves and just alternate them every so often during cooking to get a better result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I have a double drawer Ninja and it’s great. Sausages, frozen chips, cheese on toast, chicken wings. Really good at reheating too and crisping.

The only thing it doesn’t do great is roasties with a large piece of meat. They’re okay in the AF, but to me roast potatoes need to be done around meat in a larger oven. The flavour is better.. but for most everything else it’s spot on. Quick & efficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Toby22

If you do any baking you need an oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My MIL has an air fryer and it must have a baking function as she has baked a delicious fruit cake recently. She’s a great baker and loves the AF.

That said, I’ve never used mine for baking. I use the main oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'd say frozen pizza is the only thing i use the oven for now. All my other cooking is with airfryer, frying pan or slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I wouldn't be without my oven but our AF is handy for frozen chips if not using oven for anything else. Does gougons fish fingers and so on really well.

But i like roasts and frozen pizza and casseroles and just don't think AF would do for those.

It really all depends on what your meals consist of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Richardc9052

We have the Ninja Foodie Flexdrawer. its 10.4L Capacity with a single drawer.

I can cook a full roast chicken dinner in there. Also make pastries. Frozen Pizza works in halfs and you can buy a tray that gives you 2 levels, allowing you to quickly cook a whole pizza in 2 halfs. Very rarely use the oven now. Only if the airfryer is already in use or if something physically does not fit the drawer.

I even slow cooked ham for christmas and it came out perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Two air fryers would pretty much make an oven obsolete.

A twin drawer one for say chips and veg., then a large one for the roast meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

What foods are better from an oven?

It's mostly to replace a deep fat fryer they are replacing, hence the name.

But they can do pretty much everything a deep fat fryer can do and more.

Healthier, cleaner and cheaper to operate.

I don't think they are over hyped at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Breadmaking is not easy and if you are into sourdough your dutch oven is going to be a thing of the past.

In fact anything that rises will need serious scaling down and some thought about shielding the top from the direct radiated heat.

Nothing that a bit of creativity with foil and greaseproof paper won't overcome but bread and cakes would be out for entertaining visitors unless the portions were minuscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Its subjective.

I use my oven for roast potatoes, roast chicken, roast beef... Finishing off a steak,... Lasagne, cottage pie, etc.

I have a Tefal air fryer, but only use it for convenience foods, like goujons, sausages, burgers or frozen chips.

Still prefer an oven for my roasties, roast joints, casseroles, pies, lasagne, etc. They just doesn't taste the same (to me) from an air fryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

I've had on since the days of Phillips 1st air fryer days.

They're convenient but no where near as good or versatile as an actual oven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

OP, I think a large air fryer and separate multi cooker will suit you

There's only 2 of us too and virtually everything is cooked that way now.

I even roasted chicken in the muti cooker, finished it in the air fryer which works a treat.

Our air fryer is small so I'm going to upgrade to one of the 10L ninjas soon.

Also in my opinion the air fryer does the best chicken wings I've had...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not true , well apart from joints and toasties

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

If you have both drawers going what wattage is that using compared to an oven using between 2200w to 2400w?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭notAMember

I actually think the biggest drawback with the airfryers is counterspace, the real estate they take up. Maybe consider where it would sit and the space you have left available on the counter.

Depends on your kitchen layout, but for a lot of kitchens, the oven is built into a kitchen cabinet. Our oven has the slide away door, it's at waist height, beside the counterspace. No swinging around with hot pans, just very easy ergonomically. If I was to have an airfryer on the counter too, I'd definitely miss the chopping space.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My two-drawer Tower is 2600w max. But it cooks quicker than the oven, so definitely using less power. I bought mine in early January. My latest electricity bill arrived during the week, and for 64 days, I have used 75 fewer units than the previous period, with the only change being switching to the air fryer for 35 of those days. I don't know why I delayed getting one.

The only time I use the oven now is for pizza. I don't roast meat, though, so I could see oven still bring important for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Let's not pretend air fryer diets are healthy. I've perused a few air fryer "cookbooks", written by Instagram folk not chefs, and it's hardly any wonder Ireland has such an obesity problem with the prevalence/popularity of these machines.

Subjective surely? We were using a deep fat fryer for chips. Now we use the air fryer instead.

Interesting. We have a single drawer 1300w 6.5l air fryer. Its handy and saves on cooking for 1/2 people for sure. I always assumed a 2 drawer wouldn't be a big saving compared to doing a big roast with all the trimmings which is really the only reason we use the oven now at all. Maybe I'll buy another single 6.5l and stick it beside what we have 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Look at the responses in this thread talking about sausage, chips, goujons. It's what the majority of people are using air fryers for. Cheap crap processed food.

Yes some people will make chips from scratch, definitely healthier than a deep fat fryer. But in the main air fryer are contributing to even worse diets for a nation that is seriously struggling with obesity.

Advertisement