Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NPWS deer liscense application goes[totally?] online

Options
  • 03-02-2024 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭

OK some good points here. One is losing the contrary to the Wildlife acts minimum 100 acre requirement.

Would like to know why they now want a photograph with your application?

Like everything technical and computer-driven these days and looking at you, HAMS. Expect glitches and screwups before this beds down properly.

http://irishdeercommission.ie/deer_hunting_licence_online_portal/?fbclid=IwAR3KSBKFlZzkZiZtxmsR6FRc5PQd4QwGNWlf1bdjTikcDVllCKoj2Hh380c

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Is there sufficient comfort around data protection, including your photo?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A question that has to be asked by us and our deer hunting organisations.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

No landowners permissions required?

Just a promise to only hunt where you have permission.

So the permissions required to get the firearm licence won't be vetted by npws for deer?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭keith s

In fairness, removing the 100 acre is (in my mind) a good step.

For lads trying to get in to deer shooting this was a big blocker.

Any hunter should already know that they can't shoot where they don't have permission.

Big number of deer in some areas causing issues and the 100 acre requirement blocking people getting a licence to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Rescueme0007

Has anyone received txt messages or Whats App messages referencing the deer license renewals, purportedly from "housing" and/or "heritage"? I have had three and I'm not at all inclined to trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

@Rescueme0007 Yeah.

First one I thought was a scam, then a few days later I got one saying saying the first was sent in error, ignore it as the online portal is not fully up and running, but I'd receive a new message in the coming weeks when it is.

I didn't click on any links, just in case but it seems to be legit with many other lads getting the same messages.

If in doubt, never click on a link in an email or message and instead go onto a browser and go to the NPWS site yourself.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I too am very cautious with unsolicited emails, texts, WhatApp etc., so I shall contact the NPWS by 📞 tomorrow and confirm or deny!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Ive dealings with the npws and they are incorporated into the department of heritage and housing overseen by minister Malcolm noonan so they're probably legit contacts.

Spoke with a nice lady on the NPWS switch board this morning, she did try to connect me to staff, but all I got was a voice mail. Subsequently received another email requesting that I ignore the previous ones as the system is not active yet. That leads me to believe they're legitimate. Time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ANy updates on how this system is progressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lmk123

I’m thinking of buying a rifle for deer as they’re a nuisance to say the least around here for myself and neighbouring farmers. I already have a .17 and a shotgun. Is this new online system any easier / quicker than the previous one, I was going to get a rifle for deer this time last year but just didn’t bother when I found out about the courses and all that rubbish that had to be done. I saw a nice rifle last week in my local RFD but they won’t even take deposits on deer rifles because it takes so long to jump through the hoops the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TheEngineer1

You'll still have to do the courses unfortunately

They won't take a deposit?

I'd be going somewhere else so!

What happens if you get refused, will they give your money back, you need to confirm that with any RDF or anyone you buy a rifle from.

I'd do the course, then put a deposit down and slap in rilfe licence application.

You could also, do the course and (when it's available) complete the NPWS deer hunting application, using a friends rifle (I think). Then when you get that back, you can put a deposit down and slap in the rifle licence application.

That way you can demonstrate a need for the rifle (deer hunting) and can include the deer hunting licence with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lmk123

yeah that’s what he said, it takes too long for licenses to come through so they won’t keep a gun that long except it’s fully paid for. I was probably going to put a deposit on it there and then but he made me think twice about it and if it’s worth all the hassle and expense at all.

It seems a long road ahead, but just do one thing at a time and you'll get there. Book the course, that's (I would say) the first thing. After that you can take your time and decide what you want to do, but now you have 1 less (Big) blocker.

Deer stalking is great crack, it helps farmers, puts food on your table and it's a few hours out doing something with a mate, son, daughter....

So, if you are to ask me, it's definitely worth the hassle 😂... Now ask me that when I'm dragging a yoke up a hill or through a forest and I'm might have to take a minute before saying Yes, it's still worth it!

Advertisement