Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your bottled water before the price increases due to the new deposit recycle scheme 1/2/24

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

That's one of my issues with this scheme. The assumption that everyone physically goes shopping every week. I don't.

I do all my grocery shopping online. I have so many better things to do with my free time than walk around a supermarket every week - or queue to return bottles - or queue for a refund (printed on paper!)

I won't be participating this scheme. I live in a small house, I have no room to "preserve" empty bottles and cans in perfect condition, (currently they are crushed and "stored" in the green bin once they're empty!) so I'll suck up the loss of the deposits, because it's just too inconvenient and cumbersome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

I have pretty much the same setup as you by the sounds of it but my outlook on it is different. There's no way I'll let this bunch make a cent off me, I'll do everything I can to get my money back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

I get the sense that a lot of people will just suck up the deposit and it will cause inflation.

Ireland and Germany are very different when it comes to chasing small amounts of money in supermarkets. The Germans are far more likely to chase vouchers, coupons, be price sensitive and so on. Most of Ireland will just not notice a bottle of water is slightly more expensive.

I can see this scheme not achieving what it's claiming to achieve.

Also, if it does work, it's removing high quality material from commercial recycling, which is inevitably going to increase bin charges.

When people from re-turn are out promoting this scheme they keep pushing that it it's cost neutral to the general public but it will lead to increased bin charges for sure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I honestly don't blame you.

If it was more efficient, say I could return my bottles and cans, and scan an app that gave me an electronic voucher that I could apply to my next online shop, I might be more inclined to try it.

But not with the current setup of a paper voucher, and then having to queue instore for a refund. I think the use of paper vouchers is very outdated - and hardly environmentally friendly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I really wish they had considered a way of putting machines beside some glass bottle banks tbh. A lot of people drive to them already to recycle their glass. Might not be straightforward but I'm sure it's do-able at some locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think most are of the same thinking. We really are being double taxed / charged. We already have a perfectly good recycling system domestically. All of my plastic and other recycle material goes into it.

I'm yet to hear a logical reason as to why I have to go to a shop with bags of cans and plastic bottles.

If anything the scheme should be paid by government. No extra charge on a bottle or can when buying but if you return them you are given some sort of reward for doing so. Maybe 10c per 500g of material or something.

But alas we all know this is purely about taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In an ideal world yes.

But in Ireland bottle banks are put in dark parts of shopping centre car parks, little or no CCTV, people come and drop all their bagged shite for others to clear up and walk off. I wouldn't put an expensive machine there for the local scrotes to set fire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Many words have more than one meaning. Example:'live'

"I live in a house" v "I like live music".

Deposit is another such word. The definition you posted is not the same as a (refundable) deposit on an item, such as a container or as security on the hire of goods.

In your example, a deposit a sum of money paid as an instalment on goods. You dont get it back if you proceed with the purchase. You may get it back if your don't.

You probably know all this. Go back to google if you need more information. You will see that deposit is not defined as a tax, and most tax is not refundabe, unless over paid etc

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

I was only using a Brita filter to filter the water. I started using it a couple of weeks ago. That thing you're talking about sounds like it'd cost a bloody fortune and I don't know how to install that. I'm not a plumber. I'd probably burst my pipes if I tried installing that. Can someone send a load of complaints to Eamonn Ryan and also ask him to fix our crappy public transport system that makes you wait over 2 hours between buses and for the government to stop trying to poison us by lacing our tap water with chemicals. It's hardly too much to ask for is it? A decent water supply that isn't full of chemicals and a proper flipping bus system.

Cycling is actually easy on the knees. Disclosure: Life long cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I wish my consultant was as knowledgeable as you. Perhaps you could come into the Mater hospital and lecture in there.

Might be better then the lecturing by Green party members going on here.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

The seller and with a sly(or not)boost to prices a nice little earner

Unreclaimed deposits won't push up inflation. Deposit is not accounted for as a sale.

Ireland and Germany are different. Maybe we need to cop on and get more like them?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's used to find the scheme operator. The retailer doesn't have any opportunity to keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As far as I can see this scheme only applies to plastic water and drinks bottles and aluminium cans. Neither of these is essential to anyone's life or well-being, and indeed not drinking the contents of any of those cans would be no loss to anyone's health.

Bottled water only became popular in the 70s and 80s, which is only around 40 years ago, prior to that people drank tap water, or managed without. Given the hype about hydration its a wonder the population survived the previous hundreds of thousands of years when people drank when there was water available.

Just occasionally it is necessary to buy the 5 litre bottles when for some reason a home supply is not available or suitable for drinking, but these are not in the scheme anyway. And if you really feel that buying tap water in a plastic bottle is preferable to getting water from your own home tap you could always decant it into a reusable container.

Either way this is a very minor problem, it only affects plastic water/drinks bottles and cans, and it is possible to survive without either, or work with the deposit scheme.

• Advertisement

Sorry if you think I am lecturing. Thats your opinion. Cycling as a non impact activity is not hard on joints. I hope things improve.

In my opinion, you are ranting unnecessarily about the new deposit scheme which is more to the point of the thread.

Let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

With the microplastics article that came out we were discussing doing just that, glass to reusable. It seems like a lot but we don't consume anything else on a day to day, so no beer cans, wine bottles etc. This is our staple drink.

Lets not! The point of the thread is bargains. The bargains are going to vanish pretty soon due to this nonsense tax. The thread is not about your recommendations for means of travel or that poster above saying we are all better off not drinking coke beer water etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lol, you think USC VAT VRT and PRSI are not taxes either I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

are you saying that people in wheelchairs are unable to do such a simple task? WOW!!

A friend of mine is in a wheelchair - he utterly DESPISES people who think that just because he has a wheelchair he needs "sugar put in his coffee for him" - that's the phrase he uses for all the snowflakes that think someone with a disability has an utter inability to do anything.

He can drive

He can cook

He lives independently

He actually shops too and will be well able to use these machines as they are so simple and so accessible

I'll point him to your message and he may wish to reply to you. - Imagine, he can also use a pc and keyboard!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement