Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get your bottled water before the price increases due to the new deposit recycle scheme 1/2/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It's something else that hasn't really been though out. What about the disabled and elderly? Will shops who deliver be obliged to take the plastic bottled waste back with them and reimburse the customer?

Madness once again. The green agenda is doing more harm than good at this stage.

So yes. It includes cans. FFS. So the humble can of beer will yet again be increased in price. Bottles all the way so. Or else I'll just have to visit the north more,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

The most annoying part about this is having to mind the bottle/cans and then the machine will just crush/shred them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Couldn't be further from the truth, whatever you think yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

About 15 years ago Tesco brought in a machine that took all your small change. You poured all your coins in together, any denomination, and within a minute it gave you a receipt you could then cash at the checkout.

This bottle machine requires you to place each individual bottle on the conveyer. I bulk buy water and between my wife and I we consume approx 10 bottles a day. In all likelihood I would rocking up with around 3 full black bags worth of bottles to recycle. The refund isn't worth the time and bad vibes I would get from anyone behind me in the queue.

I already pay for my bins to be collected and recycle the bottles that way. This is just another tax I have to take on the chin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭swampy353

The list of effected products

15c for bottles and cans between 150ml and 1ltr

25c for bottles 1ltr to 3ltr

Milk bottles are excluded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I don't buy bottled water for drinking at home, so it won't effect me greatly. Still though, space is at a premium in my home. I foresee the boot of my car becoming a location for storing my used bottles and cans, so at least they will be there when I am at a shop and not going of sugar, forgot them again. A bit like the bags for life.

It is done in many countries around the world, a bit like the plastic bags, it will require a step change in behaviour.

It came up in conversation last week, what will a house party be like for those who buy cans of beer and bottles of soft drinks etc.? You could earn a few quid out of "scooping up" all the empties at the end of the night!

The only ones coining out of this are the machine providers. Recycling but with an extra awkward step. Very disappointing milk bottles aren't being catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Watch out for the next few weeks that you arent being charged a deposit on bottles without the mark. You can be sure some shops will do this. You need to keep an eagle eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭JVince

I wish people would just FUC off with their "what about the disabled and elderly" utter SH1TE.

I assure you elderly people and people with disabilities are far more able for these small changes to their lifestyle than the utter snowflakes that seems to be unable to do such a simple mundane task without it causing them major upheaval in the lives.

Frankly I don't know how these snowflakes get though their day at all with their inability to do such simple things.

If some people really have such difficulty in managing returning cans and bottles, then simply don't buy them or give them to the various local groups who will gladly collect them from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s a a ridiculous amount of plastic bottles. What’s wrong with your tap water?

why not buy a large bottle and refill reusable bottles?

It’ll be interesting to see if shops display the actual cost or the cost + deposit

So someone in a wheelchair will be able to do this? Or someone housebound?

Your talking pure shite man. So the disabled shouldn't buy bottles or cans and screw them?

Nice one.

If he can buy them , why can’t he return them ? When there are 150g to 3kg lighter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

Lads seriously ditch the bottled water and get a water filter. not a britta a proper one. we have awful water full of red manganese and the filter takes it all out plus all the chlorine and any bugs that might be in it(not that there is). it holds 7 litres at a time, and once you get used to filling it you will never run out of lovely clear water. i think they cost around 200 euro now, i bought mine 4 years ago and was cheaper then. Filters cost 50 quid a year, and were a family of 6. use it for drinking and cooking every day. ditch the bottles forever, its better for your pocket and the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭jacool

If no one is taking this up then there won't be a queue. Also, the secondary queue you refer to is where you pay for your groceries, so unless you're a professional shoplifter, there's a very good chance you are going to be in that queue anyway.

Good to know, however, that you have done your research and you know that the machines will be 100% potentially faulty.

I've seen this system work flawlessly in Germany. The biggest sea change here will actually be a tidier countryside, as they have in most of Germany. Where I live is constantly littered with soft drink bottles and cans plus water bottles. People will be less likely to throw away money.

Looking at pics of the machines and where the screens and opening for bottles are, I can't see how someone in a wheelchair can use these things easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

this is a major issue i have with the scheme the fact the bottles/cans have to be in near perfect condition means that we wont benefit for the winos/kids going around picking up bottles and cans thrown on the ground. it honestly makes no sense as to why it matters if it has the barcode really to me if its going to be all bottles/cans.

or is there going to be a case where certain designs/odd shapes wont ever be included in the scheme?

its just a huge miss in my book as a way to get people to clean up rubbish on the streets for free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

We have 6 stage RO. Best thing we ever got.

Could I ask what you have? Ours holds more than 7 litres but also interested in what you have because I have family looking for filters now that would definitely go for the price you mention here.

• Advertisement

Stop talking sense. Thats because its yet another money making racket. So many bottles are not going to be returned for one reason or another.

We have this new technology called a tap. :) Never bought bottled water ever.

Drives a couple of friends friends who only drink bottled water mad when they come to the house and ask for a glass of water and watch me as i turn the tap on and fill the glass. "Is that filtered?". "Yes, its filtered by irish water at some point.". Then they just look at it and dont drink it. Wont even drink the tea or coffee. They now have bottled water in the car and bring it in when they visit.

They get them delivered? So in my view the same shop delivering them should be obliged to take them back in the van when doing the next drop. That won't happen in this country though.

And when you think that the fuckers wanted us to pay for water not so long ago. They always get you in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Strange, I never made any mention of people not taking it up.

Orange juice machine out of order, coffee machine out of order, atm out of order, car park machine out of of order... I guess we'll see.

What if I'm not shopping and just want my money back?

Where did I mention research? I know I've a very good recycling practice in place that I'm very happy with and that I'm not currently part of any dumping or failure to recycle problems. That's just a fact.

Edit. Lifts out of order, escalator out of order, self service checkouts out of order... things break.

Post edited by jpb1974 on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭jj880

Your friends are smart. Or maybe you all live in an area with good water. I dont.

It smells like poison and there are massive cancer rates right next to Irish Waters "filter" stations where they hump chlorine into the supply to mask all the other sh!te thats in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

These people are insane. Refuse to drink tap water yet find no problem drinking dubious quality plastic water bottles and no doubt chemical laden wine and beer without issue.

Water marketing is a miracle!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

Only if returned in pristine condition( not squashed in a bag) and dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The bargain alert is to raid the bins of manners for bottles and cans. Heading to the beach or a festival campsite could generate a few quid too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement