Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another ridiculous suspended sentence handed out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

"if he dealt with him in the shop it would be OK but this was a premeditated attack"

Your words, not mine.

O/K and fine are not light years apart methinks.

Don't worry about it, it's not a problem, we all say things as a knee jerk response, but it is a shade unbecoming to take a discussion to a personal level.

If you disagree with me fine, but do you really think suggesting I'm talking through my hoop helps clarify your position.

If it makes you feel better, then I'm happy, but I don't think it adds anything.

Well anything apart from the suggestion that your acceptance of extreme actions might emanate from a personal disposition of course, but that's just supposition, don't take it personally please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭TokTik

If it’s a legal gun and self defence like the Rittenhouse case I’m sure it would be fine, like Padraig Nally

I believe he meant that if it happened in the shop, the “heat of the moment” excuse may have held some sway. This was a premeditated attack, not a heat of the moment lost temper

It was illegally held on the occasion of the shooting and the defence presumably was based on the fear of attack by unarmed individuals.

Basically he went into a situation armed and looking for trouble.

Yes I don't disagree that it was premeditated and had the pensioner died it would be murder as opposed to manslaughter in the shop.

The heat of the moment reaction is not an excuse. How can it be? To respond to words with kicks? Have you worked in a customer facing role? I have and some are not pleasant at all. If you can't take it you are in the wrong job.

The fact that it isn't as serious in law is obvious, but the words "O/K and fine" in connection with an assault in the shop is crazy in my opinion.

It's a disgusting, cowardly, unwarranted attack no matter where it's carried out, there is nothing whatsoever o/k or fine about it

Obviously it saw the termination of his job, so at least someone has the ability to see and remove the risk to the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I am going by what you said, it was your message, a direct quotation. I fail to see how I misunderstood?

Maybe where you are located violence in shops can be condoned or treated lightly, but I don't think it's right if that's the case, and regardless of location, it's wrong on every count.

It really is that simple.

It matters little as you will not convince me that I am incorrect in this opinion, not if your take on it is the assortment that you have produced so far.

I think we will have to agree to differ as you are on the wrong tack?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The poster thinks both scenarios are wrong. Beating up customers who irritate you there and then in the shop is wrong, and waiting a little time and planning to beat them up later is wrong. He just thinks first scenario a little more explainable, but not justified

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Christ, people actually defending the sentence.

• Advertisement

Incorrect, it is legal in Winsconsin for a teen to carry a rifle or shotgun as long as it was not short barrelled. That is why the judge threw out the gun charges against him. All legal and above board.

I don’t think it would be an excuse, more a mitigating factor.

Well I think you can guess where I would stand regarding excuses or mitigation.

I don't care who is involved or where, blows against words are out.

Why didn't the thug claim he was drunk, that's the usual excuse proffered?

The thug would be canonised by some here if he was unfortunate enough to be plastered :-)

Yes. I lost touch.

I did see the bit where he gunned down unarmed people and was later aquitted, but frankly my interest in the US now is about zero.

I worked with weapons, they attract the mentally lacking like a honeypot attracts flies.

I was a technician at weapons trials and there is nothing spectacular to see when a gun is fired.

I found it more entertaining to watch the visitors who often travelled hundreds of miles to see what could have been portrayed far more clearly by a photo and spreadsheet.

Americans would feel at home reading this thread, killing people is fine if the bloke looks black or threatening. If he's both and he's not on death row already there might be a free MAGA hat in it for the shooter :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would the judge done his job better by giving an anger management course or community service order to the attacker, instead of walking out of court with no real punishment, by the way anybody thinks kicking a 76 year old on the ground is ok needs to have a chat with themselves. Embarrassing what if that was your parent or grandparent that you would be happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭scottser

in fairness to you, those initiatives don't get used half as much as they should.

And you can take down your strawman - nobody is 'happy' that a man in his 70s got his teeth kicked in. The question I responded to was whether the young lad should have gotten jail, to which my answer remains 'no'.

Strawman, Rubbish, the facts speak for themselves.

"Young Lad", you speak like the thugs doting father might.

I really despair at some of the things happening in the modern world where things Like Trump, Johnson, lies and dishonesty are now accepted as part and parcel of life.

It's a nice world you seem to want, one where young thugs know that the punishment falls down to insignificance if someone looks like a good substitute for a punch-bag.

I almost feel sorry for the thugs inheriting such a diseased world.

It's interesting to note that all those "right wing" pillars of justice that supported the Tory party in the UK and Republicans in the US seem to lose all enthusiasm for any kind of justice when it's one of "their own" in the dock.

Not strictly relavant to the thread I know, but is justice and right wing paranoia purely and simply down to the fact that most people ending up in court are poor?

Certainly in the UK and US, I see justice as being doled out more on tribal grounds than any fair balance.

The poor blighters across the pond are not even free to protest any more and you get few rich people concerned about social issues, so again the poorest are targetted.

Jaysus you've all lost the run of yourselves...

There are probably a hundred thousand little scrotey cunz walking around who actually make living from crime that need to be incarcerated before this bloke. And if they all did get locked up, you can be guaranteed there'd be people pissing and moaning about how they get mollycoddled in jail and how it costs 100k per year to keep them.

A poster above mentioned community service or some such. To me, that's the most sensible option -please don't insult either of us by promoting Daily Mail type solutions to law and order.

Daily Mail solutions would involve a noose. Are you sure we are even on the same planet as far as comprehension goes?

Justice should not be reliant on mere chance and in my opinion the likelihood of a very serious injury or death was pretty high anyway. You only have to see the number of deaths in older people resulting from a simple fall.

Regardless of that, should the thug pick on someone physically matched, I suppose justice to some extent would have been served. Cowards do not pick fair matches though.

So, in your wasy of thinking it's fine as long as you don't have the expense of locking the thug up?

It's the put a lick of paint on the rust spot solution.

You need to take a few steps back in my opinion and consider things from the perspective of people that don't expect to be at risk of a thrashing when out shopping.

A message needs to be sent out as to the abhorrence society has for this type of behaviour, if you think that it is any way discouraged by a fine or means other than prison fine, I just don't like being part of it.

The most valuable asset prison has in this case is that it marks the thug and makes him less likely to walk away free from further crimes. Hopefully it will remove the chance of a job serving the public too.

A win, win if ever there was one.

All criminals have to start somewhere and like the rust spot, they are best treated properly ASAP.

I had a vehicle stolen and damaged in the UK. I was awarded a small amount of the cost to me of getting it back to near the original condition. The first installment was paid by the thief, nothing else. I would guess that the UK justice system is more draconian than here. In fact I would think Ireland is more citizen friendly overall, but not in this case if it allows an attacker to walk free.

Sorry but I will not and can not change my opinion on this. I do think some legal procedures here are very unfair on citizens and infringe on freedoms, including mine, but in the case of meeting words with kicks to the head when a man is down, the solution is simple unless there was be a genuine reason or mitigation.

I would guess it will give the young thug a bit of a conversational point and laugh over a pint at the pub, so every story has a happy ending :-(

'So, in your wasy of thinking it's fine as long as you don't have the expense of locking the thug up?'

Your interpretation of my point is wrong. I can't really be bothered repeating myself again, let alone try to make sense of your post.

'You need to take a few steps back in my opinion and consider things from the perspective of people that don't expect to be at risk of a thrashing when out shopping.'

The ould lad sounds like a bit of a prick too, as I said, the pair of them in it. While it doesn't justify the younger lad's actions, and he was plainly in the wrong on many levels, the ould lad shouldn't be going around mouthing off and calling people names either.

But look, we can agree to disagree. I personally don't know either of them so I can only give so much of a toss about it tbh.

• Advertisement

I frankly don't care what the behaviour was. I have pointed out a few times in the past that violence is not an acceptable response to words, so your mere mention of it as portraying some kind of provocation is wrong full stop.

We will indeed have to agree to disagree, it is merely an opinion after all. I can only hope that the judge was privy to knowledge beyond what was provided in the article.

Gutter press reporters in the UK tend to prefer to ignore facts that don't shock or support their story. Perhaps it's the same here, you seem to have a better quality of paper anyway, so the particular story escaped my attentions via the media.

Anyway, it's comforting to know that should I ever get radicalised and commit mass murder, or decide to take up armed robbery as a career, there might be people such as yourself on the jury

It brings a lump to Ones throat knowing such forgiving people are about willing to help and support my career path :-)

Thanks for the different perspective anyway, we may not agree but it is nice to know how the rest of the planet functions, I wish you well, just in case my ramblings gave a different impression :-)

I would send you down in a heartbeat. There's no such thing as an innocent Englishman.

:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any assault where a person's foot connects with the other person's head should be an automatic three year's prison. Minimum.

Scummy in the extreme.

Back on planet earth at long last!

Normal service has been resumed..................... :-)

No it isn't frustrating at all, if you are doing your job correctly, know you are right and have done nothing whatsoever to promote the customer, being at the receiving end of the abuse is actually very satisfying on some occasions. On the few times it has happened to me, I feel very happy and thankful that I too was not short changed when it came to brain cells.

If a customer freaks out, simply let him rip and ask if he would like to contact one of the companies managers when he has finished his rant. It is that easy. I certainly never had to run or defend myself in my customer facing days. It's simply being professional.

The reason for the customers rant was invariably our failure to supply. If I couldn't help them, I would refer the complaint to someone that should be in a position to help, even if they were not interested in pandering to the stupid plonker.

Even plonkers pay the wages, and even plonkers have friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Judge Martin Nolan...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Exactly what I thought aswell

I reformed after Brexit, I was fined 90 euro and given a passport.

I never considered myself a full club member anyway. The lowlifes stole my trees.

You should have seen the sumptuous garden the family had before the thieving scumbags sailed across and took the ancestors trees.

I still have the garden centre receipts, I'm hoping to put a claim in for the Oleria I used to replace those they made away with for their navy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Each to their own. I think it was somewhat deserved and won’t be persuaded otherwise.

• Advertisement

You have every right to your opinion, of course the question then comes to mind that if I as a professional sweet shop vendor and a in my leisure hours a psychopathic weightlifting marshal arts practitioner was offended and felt threatened by such a disagreeable stance, would you stand up in my defence in court if I was arrested for kicking your teeth out as a result of my distress and distaste for your troublemaking?

Advertisement