Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another ridiculous suspended sentence handed out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I agree. Scenario is not a random attack on an OAP. This OAP had abused the accused in a shop, claimed he had been short changed and called the accused a c*nt and a junkie.

The subsequent assault on the street was ridiculous behaviour and needs punishing but it didn't occur in a vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭scottser

Jail would be the wrong sentence. It sounds like the ould lad was a bit of a prick too, and the pair of them in it. Having said that, the fine is light enough and it won't go very far to getting the ould lad back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Heat of the 'moment?' will you give your head a wobble. He had plenty time to decide to "not kick in a man's teeth."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

Not directly related to this case but the media seem to think that when a scrote becomes an OAP or grandparent they immediately turn into perfect little angels who can never be in the wrong. Time and again you see people described as OAP or grandmother like it makes them innocent, even if they are only in their 40's as many grandparents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭TokTik

But it wasn’t the heat of the moment. They’d had an argument, it was resolved, they even shook hands after it, then the scumbag left the shop after the man and attacked him on the street.

• Advertisement

Why are folks automatically believing the defence’s claims? The judge said there “may” have been provocation. Regardless, he still behaved like a thug in the aftermath, when he had plenty time to not behave like a thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Kirby claimed that the pensioner was trying to confuse him over change and called him a cnut and junkie. Claimed. And this claim somehow constitutes enough provocation for Kirby to initiate a physical assault well after the argument had ended.

If it's going to be a case of "two eyes for an eye", what punishment should Kirby receive from family members of the victim?

Based on previous cases, Nolan clearly empathises with scum, abusers and thugs. This is the same judge (and former Garda BTW) who sentenced Garda Paul Moody to 3 years and 3 months, commenting on how Moody was remorseful and would get a hard time in prison as a Garda. The poor lad.

Of course it is "different" when someone "important" is a victim. If the pensioner in this case was a member of the legal profession, no doubt there would have been a custodial sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

A pensioner 76?

Now what if he did the same to an equally helpless infant that he objected to his bawling or other behaviour?

Suppose the pensioner broke a limb in the melee and died as a result?

The bloke had anger management issues, he was in the wrong job. If his employer was aware then it seems that there is some responsibility there also.

The law needs to act as a deterrent to the offender and potential offenders. I hate the never ending queue of IQ zero's that criticise "do gooders", cushy holiday camp like prisons and lenient sentences, but from my position this situationseems crazy and little more than an invite to any thug wanting to save on the cost of a punchbag.

Frankly I don't understand how you can justify your approach if you are relying on the information available here. The attack was violent, not in the shop, the pensioner was followed after the initial argument and then attacked.

Maybe the judge has different factors to consider, I would certainly hope so, because on the face of it the sentence is downright lunacy.

I hate to think what kind of world would ensue if your attitude to offenders was the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

If you decide to call someone a c*nt you need to be prepared to deal with the repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://m.sundayworld.com/crime/courts/dublin-man-22-who-kicked-oap-76-in-the-head-during-vicious-attack-walks-free/a769967585.html

A youth who attacked a 76-year-old man on the street,

Since when is a 22 year old regarded as a 'youth'?

So you have no issue with this young man kicking in the teeth of an elderly man, even after the young man had plenty time to reflect? Also, you seem ready to just believe the attacker/defense claims that the attacker was "verbally" abused

Do you believe the attacker did no wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

To be honest I don’t really care for either of them and from the sound of it they both behaved poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

If I used language like the below, kind of?

Keith Spencer BL, defending, said Kirby claims the pensioner was trying to confuse him about change and that he called him “the 'c' word”.

“He told me to go f*** myself and called me a junkie,” Kirby told gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Is there not some way to legally deal with an obnoxious customer besides kicking there teeth in?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He kicked a 76 year old in the head. That’s not a case of his temper getting slightly the better of him. If I was a gambling man I’d wager 100 quid that he’s before a judge again within the next few years.

at the end of the day was there provocation ? It doesn’t matter, I worked frontline with customers for 8 years and if you heard something you didn’t like, as happens, you come across all sorts, you have to be calm and professional enough and use common sense, good reason and coping strategies… that’s part of the job. There were plenty of people I spoke with in person and on the phone where I’d have enjoyed issuing them a good kick up the cerebellum , however.

Nolan again, I think the guy is probably some psycho narcissist who enjoys courting controversy…. Every pic you see of him… he’s never without that psycho smug grin on his mush… weird quite frankly. Just do a google image search it’s odd, as is he with some of these sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's not in the least surprising to me that someone who sympathises with violent scumbags would have a Palestine flag for an avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Service industry people are allowed to kick arsehole customers' teeth in now? Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Too much time had passed, he should have cooled down.

That said if you are going to go up a complete stranger, try pull a fast one on them and then call them a cúnt and a junkie, you may get your jaw broke. You have no idea who you or talking to or what sort of day they are having.

No point crying wambulance over it. If you are going to be dumb be tough, etc.

Anyway the mitigation was €7500 was awarded to the victim which I assume he excepted.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Augme

Its not in the least surprising that you can't grasp how different situations require different responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭SeanW

Even if the attack could have been "excused" as a heat-of-the-moment loss of control (which I would not accept), the supposed provocation had long since passed. It was effectively a random attack. The guy is a scumbag, and he should have gone to jail IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Hopefully some good comes out of this and the perpetrator learns to control his aggression better and the old guy learns to treat service industry staff a little better.

Absolutely not. As I stated the guy should have calmed down, enough time had passed.

What he did was thuggery.

But what the victim of the assault indulged in was also scum bag behaviour. The idea it was his 1st time is fanciful.

I have seen it literally dozens of times myself, it is pure and simple pond scum bullying. I deplore it. People seem entitled to lose their absolute shít at someone working in a shop.

I have stepped in a couple times, one time I remember when one of our neighbours probably 17 she was at the time was getting absolutely castigated and abused for having the cheek in charging some fúcking clown 30.15 for his diesel, he refused to pay the 15 cent.

So God knows if that coward hadn't left when I told him to, it could have been me in court. Or worse for me, him.

Not everything in life is black or white or can be judged perfectly from the comfort of the internet.

Something tells me, from reading this story, that it won't take much at all to have this scumbag violently attacking people whom he alleges slight him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Augme

"Effectively a random attack. You're losing the plot a bit here. There was nothing random about the attack. He attacked the person who verbal abused him.

If that were true he would have previous, probably would be one some of medication and would not have a decent work history.

Again you never know when you just might catch someone at the wrong moment and the wrong time.

I have seen the quietest of fellas go Joe Pesci when bullied.

Yes, “quite a time” later. Premeditated violence. . You can’t seem to take this on-board. And we only have his claims of verbal abuse as well.

and he carried out this attack on a man he clearly knew to be weaker than him. Very dangerous individual this.. and we have folks excusing it. Cowardly scum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

A great philosopher once said, “people are getting far too comfortable with being disrespectful and not getting punched in the face”.

I know this quote was made with reference to social media posts but it could easily be applied to society in general.

We could all be just a bit more careful in our interactions with others. We never really know what sort of things are going on in peoples lives, sometimes people can crack and do something crazy. Retail staff can be at the receiving end of some awful abuse. The guy should definitely not have lashed out but the old guy could have dealt with the initial situation a bit better too.

Advertisement