Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I nudged into the back of a van and everyone is injured.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Do not do this

Get your policy cancelled if they find out

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

A guy pulled across me, on my motorbike. I was thrown down the road and thought that I was grand with some torn muscles in my upper back.

20 years later I struggle to stand at a counter, to cut veg for dinner, without my entire upper back seizing up. Long haul flights are an absolute nightmare

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Because its a well known scam with yellow reg vehicles down south.

And simply saying that to the best of your knowledge, there was only 1 occupant in the van won't get your insurance cancelled. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭chrisd2019

Assuming you had valid insurance, send all correspondence to your insurance company and let them address it. I would not be saying to anyone that you were think you are at fault. The no tax is not for you to worry about, but it might indicate the Northern Van has other issues. 15k to repair light damage seems expensive.

• Advertisement

I doubt that

I've dealt with investigators they're not stupid

Saying to the "best of your knowledge" you may as well nothing cos your saying you don't know for certain

You'll have to confirm definitely there was 1 and then you're caught in the lie if they find out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you see the crash beam behind the bumper? The bumper isn't designed to take the impact to save the car structure. Bumper could look fine but the bar behind more than likely crumpled.

As other posters have said the injuries can take some time to manifest and aren't always easily treatable.

In your case just refer them to your insurance company. The accessor from your insurance company should settle any damage repair. The same applies to any personal injury claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Dash cams are everywhere nowadays. You'll look really stupid if you say there was only one person and they prove otherwise. Don't lie in an affidavit.

It won't work any way

"Probably 1 " is worthless

An investigator will want that clarified one way or another

Y'all just end up saying " I can't be sure there was 1" when they quiz U on it and that's the end of it there was actually 3

Ya may as well say nothing

Saying "certain" is a flat out lie and can get u in trouble

Post edited by tomhammer.. on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

Wrong, tax has nothing to do with the facts here, OP crashed into someone else and is at fault, tax issue is a matter for the Gardai if they are arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

OP. Northern Ireland cars/ vans don’t have tax discs.

You need to let go of that angle.

Let your insurance deal with any claims

Thats what you pay them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It is very concerning that in a post where the validity of claims by the occupants of a vehicle that on the facts presented was not a big impact is being replied to with advice to the OP to lie, mislead, fudge etc.

For some people morality, honour, honesty are obviously considered unimportant qualities.

@MakersMark how would you feel if someone caused you financial loss by behaving in the manner you are advising the OP to act? Sometimes, when you have nothing of value to add, it's best to say nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭User567363

If it was me i would do the same, when i was in school a girl in my class was in an accident but she was not hurt, soliciter got her 10k anyway, and a % for himself, she partied it all over about 3 years, 25 years later she is going to physio 2 or 3 times a month try to sort out back and neck pain, first thing physio asked was if she was ever in a car crash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some things in this story don't add up to me:

• How did they get your address to send you a solicitor's letter?
    • Why did the solicitor write directly to you with the claim and not go through your insurance company?

Maybe while partying she fell off a swing with a glass in one hand ànd a few drinks already taken ...

Anyone is entitled to claim if they are injured, and have two years to submit it. Thats a long time and a soft tissue whip lash injury will manifest some symptoms by then. Unless it's clear life changing injury, the compensation will never cover rest of life, which is just as likely to be impacted by other events, such as predisposition to pain, degerative conditions, and just getting old ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you don’t understand insurance law it really is better you keep your advice to yourself, it’s less embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask why were no photos taken of both vehicles at the time as that amount of damage i would have thought more visible on your car.

I am aware plastic bumpers go in and out and hide what's behind

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Was just thinking the exact same thing. If its going through insurance the other insurance company might not even have your name - usually its referred to as the "insured" and "third party" in any documentation Ive ever dealt with.

Maybe the OP agreed to try pay cash for the repair initially and gave the other driver his contact details??

I was wondering how they got his address too. Good idea to ask. I just assumed it was an amicable scene and OP gave his details but not his insurance. I would never recommend giving home address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, the only way it could be got from the reg is by the Gardai or the OP willingly gave it to them when saying they would pay for any damage (a license to print money to the wrong person). Even if they went straight to making a claim, the OP's insurance company would not divulge their client's address to them to issue a solicitor's letter.

Then you have the crazy criteria in the claim about 15k worth of damage to a van and a load of people with personal injuries. Even Sol Goodman wouldn't make a crazy claim like that without having the damage assessed as well as medical examinations.

I get the feeling this story is either a made up tall tail or if actually genuine then it's an attempt at scamming money out of the OP by blowing wind up their skirt with the magic solicitor's letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I suspect the OP assumed, because he thought he could settle 'a minor tip' privately, he might not have informed his insurers at the time. If so, that will lead to a whole heap of trouble for him. Always notify insurers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Dont ever offer to settle privately -Ive had numerous customers over the years end up worse off than if they went through insurance. Too many scammers out there to even consider it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭User1998

Has no one considered that these 3 lads driving a UK reg van in Ireland probably weren’t even insured and thats why they sent a letter straight to OP without involving an insurance company?

Would there be any negative consequences for OP if they just ignored the solicitors letter and didn’t inform their insurance company? Shouldn’t it be up to the men in the van to go through insurance if OP refuses to pay?

Insurance cancellation is the negative consequence if you don't inform them and they find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, insurance policies have a clause that you must inform them of any changes to your circumstances that may affect the policy or result in a liability. Rear ending someone and having 3 potentially expensive personal injury claims and one for property damage, to me, would certainly be a change of circumstances. Whether the van is registered in NI or Timbuktu makes no difference, neither does any tax or insurance status of the 3rd party vehicle.

At this stage and if I were the OP, for peace of mind I would be giving my insurance company all the details for this "claim" and let them handle it. Trying to pay this out of pocket could result in a huge amount of money being paid out and there is still nothing stopping the claimants from going through the insurance policy at a later date and getting even more money! Also, does the OP have a spare €100k or more in their pocket to cover this? I doubt it!

I know a lot of people are reluctant to go through their insurance company for fear of an increased premium for a few years however, in this case, let them do the work and proceed with an investigation and pay out if warranted.

Do not ignore the solicitors letter... The claimants clearly have the OP's home address and that is not something I would relish if I was in this situation. Hand it all over, this is why we pay insurance in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Havenowt

Okay fair enough. I just know for my policy at least if I am involved in a crash my insurer won’t pay out if I don’t have up to date tax and etc. basically anything at all they’ll back out.

eta: or they will pay the third party for damage and require me to repay them

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Havenowt

Did you take any pictures of the van after the accident?

• Advertisement

I think the wording on mine is inform them for the below

" any incident that may give rise to a claim"

Advertisement