Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its hard to believe anything that lad said though, so I doubt any of it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I've looked back over the thread and don't see where you pointed out the reasons for doubting the Irish Times article or witness statements. Its hard to rebut something that didn't happen.

Do you doubt the numerous independent witnesses who saw, heard of, or introduced Du Plantier to Bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

its not really, scared of posting it while alive because its rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Here's the post, it was in direct reply to yours.

Your claims about the thread content seemingly are as unreliable as your claims about the case.

I will note you were also asked to explain your claim about Bailey being in Sophie's house before the murder and have provided zero foundation for it.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/121653442/#Comment_121653442

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This is what you said:

For a "known hothead with such a short, violent temper" there doesn't appear to be any accounts \ incidents of him getting violent in public before the murder. Not in the years he was living in Ireland before the murder.

Then you admitted you don't doubt he beat up his partner.

Its hard to take you seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

I didn't see that post and it wasn't in response to the Irish Times article.

90% sure is good enough for most people, ie on the balance of probabilities.

The call with the French friend, you didn't even mention.

"In public."

Where are all these accounts and incidents of this supposed hothead with a short temper getting violent in public in the years he was in Ireland?

It is well known re: Bailey and domestic abuse. Where are all the other people this hothead with a short temper got violent with?

Your claims don't add up. You've made several doubtful and dubious claims on the thread they shouldn't be taken seriously.

I'm fairly sure I said its likely on the balance of probabilities that the murderer may well have been known to Du Plantier and was likely in the house beforehand based on the two wine glasses. Bailey on the balance of probabilities was known to Du Plantier. I don't believe i said he was definitely in the house. WHat i said or implied was its likely the murderer was known to Du Plantier, and this would place Bailey as one suspect.

Again we are surmising based on probabilities. I've already said this was a hard case for the gardai to prove.

We differ in the fact you are ruling out Bailey with what seems like complete certainty. I am not ruling him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, sacked from several jobs apparently because of his temper. He'd have been a more credible 'wrongly accused' character if we weren't aware of his violent outbursts.

So you have no actual evidence putting Bailey in the house before the murder. Just that two wine glasses indicate SDP may have had company - or not, that she liked drinking from a fresh glass.

What you have said could apply to a different murderer. Or the murderer may not have been in the house at all.

You are just reverse engineering back anything to stick on Bailey. This is not positive evidence against Bailey in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Actually I found it. I see he scrambled it out at 2.30 am this morning.

Extract

A cross placed at the spot where Sophie Toscan du Plantier was killed in Schull, West Cork That’s what occurred when Bailey, who had been drinking all night, went to Sophie’s house seeking sex. Don’t forget she answered the door after presumably shouting “Who is it?” while in bed. The answer meant it was someone she knew. Bailey probably picked up a bottle of wine left inside her door as he tried to worm his way in – which is when she used the hatchet. Incredibly, he took away the bottle.

Reads like complete fan fiction.

That lad no more knows what happened then we do.

Spoofer

So him beating someone up in private is not good enough for you?

Again, hard to take you seriously.

It does not matter if he beats someone up in public or private, what matters is he beat up his partner and was known for doing it.

The only one lacking credibility here is you.

Nope, I've said clearly that Bailey was rightly a SUSPECT.

I've also said clearly the job of the gardai actually proving he did it was difficult.

Hard to take seriously such claims seriously when you made them in such a slapdash manner.

I mentioned clearly in public, and asked for other incidents.

You have none, obviously. It does matter who he beats up and where when you make claims about him being a violent hothead with a short temper, yet this all manifests with one person only.

I replied in direct reply to one of your posts and you claimed not to have seen it.

Your made claims about Bailey being in Sophie's cottage when you had absolutely zero evidence putting Bailey in the cottage.

You misrepresented as an established fact claims about the case and knowledge of Bailey and SDP about which there is considerable dispute.

You seem to dislike these dubious claims about the case being challenged, that's on you.

Show me where i specifically said the word "public" or said he beat people up in public or was known for beating people up in public.

And while you at it, was SDP murdered or beaten up in public?

You were asked specifically for other incidents. You have none. You know you have none.

So he only ever loses his temper when there's no witnesses around?

Hardly the actions of a violent hothead with a short temper is it. Thereby discrediting your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LOL put my expertise down to reading/watching lots of crime fiction.

Anyway, what about you, with your "how to poison random people you don't know"? Break into the house? Seriously? What poison could you leave and where, exactly? Ordinary people, even hitmen, don't usually have access to Novichok or similar.

Any act of violence can result in death and constitute murder, depending on charge, jury and other factors & on jurisdiction. Assaulting somebody robustly can and does result in death in certain cases. So the argument that forceful assault and murder/killing are altogether different things is disingenuous.

• Advertisement

You're just derailing the thread with your nonsense at this stage.

Again, are you doubting he beat up his partner and was known for beating up his partner?

Did he beat her up or not? Yes or no will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭combat14

read today that sophie was possibly hit 50 times with a rock and then had a concrete block dropped on her absolutely awful

it sounds like it had to have been someone she knew very well possibly a scorned lover or absolute psycho

ian bailey apparently voluntarily offered the gaurds his dna, fingerprints, hair which would be odd for murderer to do?

And the Dark Web “Hitman for hire” wasn’t much of a thing back around that time.

I’m no lawyer, wonder if it would be admissible in court in this circumstance for some reason 🧐

Or did he causally say to one Garda “take my dna” in one instance, eg walking down the street, and then withdraw consent later.🧐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You previously said he was in her house and they knew each other... Neither of those are confirmed and even knowing each other to speak to is strongly doubted. I'm not ruling out Bailey but equally, it sounds like an investigation where it's not even clear if the Gardai had a list of suspects.

Did I say specifically Bailey was in her house? Or did I say its likely the murderer who-ever it was, was in her house?

Do you understand what a suspect means? I know others don't appear to.

Regards knowing each other, yes there appears to be numerous accounts of them knowing each other, including one account alledgedly from SDP herself.

This is not one great big conspiracy against Bailey, as some seem to suggest. He was rightly a suspect until it could be proved otherwise. Its an open case with suspects. He was one of them. There may be others. Nothing has been proven. I have said repeatedly he is rightly a suspect. I don't believe I said the guy definitively did it.

My issue was with the people who said he was innocent and should never have been a suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

"A man with a history of violence, who knew Du Plantier and was likely in her house just beforehand, who happened to live not far away and who its known was out of his own house at the time of the murder, showed up with scratches soon after and whose alibi is his own word, which being a liar is no alibi."

It's pretty clear that you're implying Bailey was likely in her house given the reference to scratches etc. There's absolutely no evidence of him being in it though.

So you have no evidence then of all these other occasions where he lost his temper violently.

"Derailing the thread with nonsense."

Translation: I want to be able to make whatever dubious claims I want about the topic and object to anyone challenging it by looking for pedantic things like facts or evidence.

Again, that's not merely what you originally claimed, your original claim went far beyond that - and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭combat14

the hardest thing about this is how did the gaurds make such a balls of the investigation, there is no justice for sophie and her family

if ian was guilty and they had the evidence they should of just brought him to trial

if he was innocent they tortured the man and left the real killer on the loose

• Advertisement

Well not necessarily. There are cases of stranger on stranger violence where here is a massive overkill in violence inflicted, an attempt to depersonalise the victim. Serial killers will often inflict far more violence on the body than is necessary merely to kill. It doesn't necessarily point to a personal connection.

But on your second point re: offering up DNA etc The DPP report even noted this.

See section 1:

If Bailey had murdered Sophie, he would have known that there was a definite possibility of forensic evidence such as blood, fibres, hair or skin tissue being discovered at the scene. His voluntary provision of fingerprints and a specimen of his blood is objectively indicative of innocence.

https://syndicatedanarchy.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/30/

Advertisement