Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options
1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There have been hundreds of statements taken from dozens of people and I don't believe any other person said they had a bad feeling or foreboding about that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Also, for some reason, Bailey sent the article in after the deadline he was given. He sent it at 4 or 5pm on the day of the murder. As you say, it wasn't a difficult article to put together, he apparently was up early completing it, yet he only got to submit it at 4 or 5pm. What happened in the mean time? What was he getting up to instead? He apparently didn't know about the murder until 1:40pm. He made statements about hanging around the house and planning to go to the shops in Skibbereen. Then why was he causing panic to his editors by submitting the article so late?

Yes I have. Are you saying Jules Thomas's daughters have dubious backgrounds? Or any of these that I mentioned earlier:

Fenella Thomas

Q. Can you recall the Monday morning after this murder, where were you and the rest of the household?

A. It was Christmas, I took the phone call.

Q. Where was Ian and Jules before their phone call.

A. They were in Goleen. I have a vague recollection of them going, it was about 9 or 10 then I think.

Q. When you got this phone call, what happened then?

A. I just gave Ian the phone, it was the Cassidy guy.

Q. How long were they (Ian and Jules) away from

Dick Cross

“ I have a distinct recollection that he told me he had pictures taken before the Gardai cordoned off the area.  I understood him to say he had taken pictures afterwards also.”

Ian Bailey

“Was going to go to Skibbereen in the early afternoon, but Cassidy’s phone call changed that so I was just “pottering” around until that.”

Got up early, made coffee for Jules and brought it to bed.   It was about 9.30a.m.-10a.m. went back to bed listened to the Radio.   Spoke about what had to be done and we were going to Skibbereen, Co. Cork together, to deliver a turkey and do some shopping.  Eddie Cassidy rang at about 2.30 p.m

(Nothing between 10 and the Cassidy call)

10.02.97 Later

Some time after going to bed I got up - Did a bit of writing - the kitchen.  I then went down to the studio I am not sure what time it was but it was dark.  I have no watch.  I had a story to write for Tribune and was told it was okay that Tuesday would do.  It was a story about the Internet.  I went back to Jules house at about 11a.m.

(Dramatic change in his story. - Unspecified time writing in the studio – uncorroborated then nothing between 11am and the Cassidy call.)

“Got up at 9 a.m. and went down to Studio to finish the article.”

One reference to a phone call (10.00-10.30 denied by others) but nothing on what he did throughout the morning.

[Pottering versus writing an article and phoning the Tribune. He has no corroboration for anything after 10am and offers no details , bar the alleged phone call between 10am and 1.40pm]

Richard Curran

“The deadline was in fact 12 noon on Monday the 23rd December, 1996.”

“He did not phone through his story by the deadline (12 noon).   The report was eventually phoned through at about 4p.m. on Monday 23/12/96.   I remember it because I was worried about it not arriving and I would have to come up with a replacement article if it didn’t arrive at all.”

Tom McEnaney

“On or before Thursday the 19.12.1996 I spoke to him and told him that the Monday morning was fine to file the copy.  I was reasonably relaxed about it but I said to him get it in by Monday morning.  When Monday (23.12.1996) morning came and went and the copy had not arrived I began to get nervous.”

“To my recollection I attempted to contact Eoin Bailey on the Monday unsuccessfully.  He filed his copy over the phone to a copytaker at about 5p.m. on Monday the 23rd December 1996. I can confirm that it was Eoin Bailey who filed the copy as I had the call transferred to my line as I wished to enquire about the photograph.”

Bill Fuller 317

. I drove down the road then towards Kealfadda Bridge. A short distance from Riley’s I saw a white fiesta in front of me, I knew it straight away as Jules car and I knew that it was Jules driving it. It was about 11 a.m. at this stage. I followed her, I was in my jeep a Volkswagen Transporter, blue, Reg. No. 88 C 3543, all the way to the main Schull-Goleen Road where she turned left and then immediately turned right across the causeway. She was alone in the car at all times.

James Camier 472

I recall Monday 23rd December, 1996.

Between 11a.m. and 11.30a.m., Jules Thomas, Prairie, Lissacaha, Schull whom I know well, approached the Stall. I know this lady well. I was struck by the fact that she was very distressed. There was a distraught, strange complexion about her. She looked very worried. …Out of the blue, she followed up on "Ian Conversation", by saying "Ian is gone to Dreenine to report on the murder". I may have asked her, "What murder?" She replied" A French woman". She hung her head, "it's sad, but that's his job, to report on these things or something like that"…….. ……. I have no doubt in my mind, I first heard the news of the murder from Jules Thomas, between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. on Monday 23rd December, 1996

Jules Thomas

“On the Monday of the murder Ian was very busy getting an article ready for the press, I drove down past the scene at about lla.m. and onto the causeway.  “

“If Fennella said that I brought home some vegetables it must have been the Monday I was in Goleen”

“I did have a conversation with Jimmy Camier”

Michael McSweeney

“He then went on to say that it w

as in fact his girlfriend who took the photographs when they were there earlier.  I asked him what time was that and he replied that it was around 11.00a.m. that morning.

“After 2 p.m. on 23rd December 1996, I was contacted by Eoin Bailey who informed me that he had a roll of film of the scene of the murder of Sophie Toscan Du Plantier taken that morning at about 10.30a.m.”

Paul O’Colmain

I heard of the murder of this French woman. I have thought long and hard about the time of this call and to the best of my recollection it was between 11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. on the morning of the murder.

Donal O’Sullivan

Re 23.12.96

“It was between 12.20p.m. and 12.30p.m”

“I met a white Fiesta that I knew belonged to Jules Thomas who lives at The Prairie, Schull”

“There were two people in this car, a man who I know to be Ian Bailey and Jules Thomas.  I thought Ian Bailey was driving the car.   The reason it stuck in my mind is because it was unusual to meet them on the coast road.   I would often meet them on the Schull to Goleen road. “ 

Tell me how all those 8 people had personal grudges against Bailey and then start working through all the Gardaí, all his neighbours, every single witness who went against Bailey and you might as well tell me how the turkey and the Christmas tree were dubious characters as well. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Deeec

He submitted it late because there had been a significant event in the area and he was distracted by it. There is nothing suspicious about that. Have you never had a day where an event happens and your plans for the day change?

Re-read my post, you forgot that he wasn't supposed to know about the murder until 1:40pm, oops.

• Advertisement

Yes a very difficult article that he got up in the middle of the night to write while supposedly half-cut. Its worth questioning at the very least, but nope waved through by the DPP.

I believe the deadline was actually pushed out to Tuesday in the end but he submitted it Monday evening.

Of course it's worth questioning. I think it's clear that the DPP made some serious errors.

Just on the deadline. Hopefully the cold case team are looking into that as well. These statements are worth looking at:

Richard Curran

“The deadline was in fact 12 noon on Monday the 23rd December, 1996.”

“He did not phone through his story by the deadline (12 noon).   The report was eventually phoned through at about 4p.m. on Monday 23/12/96.   I remember it because I was worried about it not arriving and I would have to come up with a replacement article if it didn’t arrive at all.”

Tom McEnaney

“On or before Thursday the 19.12.1996 I spoke to him and told him that the Monday morning was fine to file the copy.  I was reasonably relaxed about it but I said to him get it in by Monday morning.  When Monday (23.12.1996) morning came and went and the copy had not arrived I began to get nervous.”

“To my recollection I attempted to contact Eoin Bailey on the Monday unsuccessfully.  He filed his copy over the phone to a copytaker at about 5p.m. on Monday the 23rd December 1996. I can confirm that it was Eoin Bailey who filed the copy as I had the call transferred to my line as I wished to enquire about the photograph.”

• Registered Users Posts: 27,920 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How many of those 'hundreds' had their exact movements questioned and scrutinised like Bailey over the course of that night?

Would the Guards even have noted it?

The Guards didn't think most of the statements about the disturbances in the area were worthy of attention as noted below... items that was not helpful to them in the case against Bailey had a tendency to be "lost" or forgotten about etc

However the following six statements, five of which were not submitted with the original Garda file, indicate the following:-

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

More apparent inconsistencies which were ignored by the DPP - happy for someone to explain this inconsistency though.

Page 11

In the Interview with Bailey on 10 February 1997 (6C) Bailey asserts, "I didn't kill that lady, I didn't kill her. The Gardaí state "you have told us several times on this day that you went home from the Galley Pub with Jules, then went to bed and did not get up until the following morning. Now you have told the other Officer that you in fact did get up that night and left Jules's house." Bailey responded, "yes, I now remember that I did get up and go to my studio to do some work". It is common case that Bailey had to submit an article to The Sunday Tribune later that day. The Gardaí "Why are you now changing your story regarding that night, is it because you were aware that Jules is now saying that you did get up." Bailey responded, "No, I remember now."

Page 19

At interview 6D it was put to him that witnesses saw him at 3.15 a.m. near Kealfadda Bridge. He responded these people are mistaken. I was in bed.

It can only be assumed here that interview 6D came after interview 6C. So in interview 6C Bailey states "yes, I now remember that I did get up and go to my studio to do some work" Yet in the next interview he's back to stating he was in bed - "I was in bed."

Its hard to reconcile his statements here, if 6D came after 6C. And we know he peddled both these alibis at various times.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks like another garda investigation that was riddled either errors which has delayed justice by over three decades (and yet some think it would be impossible in the Sophie murder case)...

The cold case team, appointed last year at the time of the 30th anniversary of the disappearance of the American student, has uncovered a series of errors in the original investigation.

The narrative around McCarrick’s last movements for three decades has been undermined by the forensic work of the new Garda team, who now believe the story of her disappearance may have been closer to her home in Sandymount, Dublin, and not in Johnny Fox’s pub in Glencullen in the Dublin mountains, as originally thought.

Speaking to The Irish Times from her home on Long Island in New York, Ms McCarrick’s mother Nancy has confirmed she is very impressed by the Garda team this time around.

“Members of the team have visited me twice, and their forensic attention to detail has been impressive. They have started from the beginning again, and are re-examining every detail,” she said.

“They have also kept in regular contact since last year, and I am aware they are continuing to track down people who may be in a position to help with their inquiries.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah a clean sheet and start again with capable and experienced investigators is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is there a non paywall version of that article anywhere?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Just picked one of those out;

Jules Thomas

“On the Monday of the murder Ian was very busy getting an article ready for the press, I drove down past the scene at about lla.m. and onto the causeway.  “

“If Fennella said that I brought home some vegetables it must have been the Monday I was in Goleen”

“I did have a conversation with Jimmy Camier”

Is that a Garda statement Jules made in June 1997? Why would she be driving down Kealfada on her way to the causeway?

Advertisement