Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Apprentice 2024

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The mixing of the teams and the 4 v 3 seemed a blatant tactic to maximize Phil's chance of getting a win. "Right, I want you to create a football skills video for use in schools. I'll mix up the teams - Lionel and Erling, move over to Phils team"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Yeah, thought the same. Do we know what his business plan is yet? Getting Inventor Tom vibes with the way this is going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why does Rachel have horns?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was sure Flo would make it to the final, she was the only one who put a bit of work into a business plan and was a strong candidate in all the tasks.

Fair play to Paul for not panicking and taking that horrible deal for his existing business. Really is a bad look that billionaire Sugar was trying to take half of his successful business that he's built from the ground up for a measly £250k.

Feel it's a similar situation with Phil too. A successful business with £750k in cash albeit possibly going through a rough spell. He'd be better off going on Dragon's Den.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

Sugar playing safe investing in existing businesses. Really does look they are keeping some people in the process because of their business ideas rather than their performance on the tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Genuinely the only reason that pie guy made the final...useless

Can't see why anyone with a successful business would want to make a fool of themselves for ten weeks in order to give away half their business. That's a lot of equity for not much cash in the grand scheme of things.

Can understand why it's appealing to someone like Tre who had an idea, but no actual business alright, but it doesn't make sense otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Absolutely. The Dentist is allowed to totally change his mind yet Flo isn't allowed to revise her figures. This series has been very dodgy on lots of levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Playing devil's advocate here but Paul shït the bed entirely and sunk himself. Ten weeks with a business plan that utterly collapsed in one day. I'd say fair play to Lord Sugar for not taking a last minute cash grab. We've seen before that he's no interest in candidates who want to push a second unrelated business whilst retaining a "primary" business.

Felt a little bad for Flo but a shelf company recruitment business was never going to work. She would likely have been hired back in the original Apprentice format.

Was quite surprised how unprepared and frankly, delusional Tre was with his plan. Seemed like a lovely guy but again, there was nothing there to invest in.

I'd say Lord Sugar knows/knew who was winning before the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Surprise result, I thought everything we've seen over the last two tasks pointed to Phil being the winner. Rachel is a very credible person but her business just seems like a bog standard gym, no matter how much she tries dressing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

She was a good candidate but I didn't think much of her business plan. After the presentations, I thought Phil had it.

Phil's presentation was better, product was better and sounded like there was more room for growth. However, his grasping of numbers and forecasts let him down and his "it's not all about profit" comment was the nail in the coffin.

Rachel's ability to speak in figures was more in alignment with what Sugar wanted which is why I reckon he went with her

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

think Sugar would have had more work to do to get the Pie business expanded etc. Rachel was a more business savvy and smart person. Think he went for the individual more so than the business idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ihateboards

I suspect Phils business (five outlets, 700k in cash) was worth far more than the 500k valuation, Lord Sugar's 250k investment would place on it, so if common sense prevailed he'd have to reject such an offer. Similar to Paul's situation with his dental practices.

The 250k is not a prize but instead the amount Sugar is willing to pay for a seemingly fixed 50% of whatever business is on offer.

The series is like a prolonged Dragon's Den negotiation, where you have to wait 10+ hours of TV to find out what the business is.

Have to agree. I thought the show was about investing in people. I can't see how Paul could agree to giving away 50% especially as he told Rachel that he wouldn't be giving lots of advice.

I can't remember hearing about the 50% in previous series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It has always been 50% since they changed the format to be an investment in a business idea instead of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Contrary view. I thought, after the interviews in previous week, it was obvious that Rachel was now going to win. If Paul had agreed to the ridiculous pressure on him to hand over half of his dental practice to Sugar he would have joined Rachel in the final week and would almost certainly have "won".

Phil was very much the backup plan, but I thought he had no realistic chance of winning - again unless he completely junked his plans.

I thought the whole thing was even more publically unscrupulous than before. Before, it was obvious that the process was rigged to faciltate candidates with better business plans. They would be protected in weeks where they conspicously underpreformed in the weekly task. Others would be randomly fired for spurious reasons.

But this approach of looking beyond their business plan to see if they have any other saleable assets - and then getting the different interviewer's board to line up and consecutively pressure the candidate to withdraw their proposal and agree to Sugar taking over half of something else entirely to their huge financial disadvantage was pretty odious.

Fair play to Paul for resisting. It must have been fairly tempting, when stuck in this weird tv silo, to go for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,289 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Claude thinks Sugar should have gone with Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Reports in the last few days that Rachel's business has never turned a profit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement