Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I think met eireann should have flagged this before today. It’s very late notice. People don’t need a yellow warning. I know people going away for the weekend and they’ve no idea a storm is coming. Just a simple message to people that strong gale force winds overland are likely, and to secure loose items around the property. Why not even say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Yes I know someone planning to fly into Knock on Sunday evening, mentioned the storm but the forecasted winds on met.ie were probably half of what they will be, also there was no mention in the forecast, just possible gales along the coast, loads of people travel back to Galway, Sligo Limerick Dublin etc on Sunday nights to work/college. None of these people are aware they'll be travelling in 100km+ winds as Met.ie is telling them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

People operating planes know what windspeeds are predicted. They aren't looking at a throw together app or basic forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

they are adults.. M.E. can't hold everyone's hand on their way home. Warnings are up, anyone travelling should be keeping an eye on any possible changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

This just came up on my net weather app don’t know their criteria vs met eireann so will be interesting to see what they update to later on

• Advertisement

Lol he's not flying the aircraft, he's a passenger, if he knew there will likely be diversions, he'd have made other arrangements as he has work Monday morning. My point was met.ie was yesterday forecasting a light breeze for Knock when every model was showing 100km+ gusts. He made the decision to fly out based on their inaccurate wind forecast and zero mention of storm.

Yep but if they have the right info they can make better plans. People in the UK have had the correct info since Friday. There is a yellow warning despite the criteria for orange being steadily forecast for Western counties for the last 3 days. Right now you wouldn't hesitate to make travel plans based on the info met.ie is giving.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hopefully they make a call soon, if it’s still bad coming into the morning Monday people need to know if schools will delay opening etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I get ya. But how many times have they called a storm a few days out and it turns north and we're all wondering what the fuss is about. The media make a song and dance anytime a warning goes up so I don't buy the "we didn't know" argument

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Looks like a clear orange for most counties and a red for the west to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I don’t blame ME for not jumping the gun too quickly. It’s always a case damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes your spot on, the media are already all over this even though its a yellow. The argument of I didn't know was more relevant pre Internet not today. This storm is nothing exceptional apart from maybe far Northwest! It's a nationwide orange and will be upgraded during the day. Schools won't close both because it's not a red and more importantly its happening on a Sunday night when society in general are not out

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Apologies if this is a thick question, but in regard to flying, how do they make a decision, is there an actual defined cut off point for wind speed for take off, landing etc? Heading from Donegal to Dublin for 5pm flight tomorrow... hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kilkenny, Longford, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Cavan, Monaghan, Munster, Connacht

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very strong southwest winds with severe and damaging gusts.

• Impacts:

• • Large coastal waves with wave overtopping
    • • Very difficult travelling conditions
    • • Fallen trees
    • • Damage to power lines
    • Valid: 17:00 Sunday 21/01/2024 to 02:00 Monday 22/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:01 Saturday 20/01/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Still yellow for off shore…. That’ll probably go red?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Updating I would say at the moment.

Separate Orange warning now added for Donegal (longer time).

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Very strong southwest to west winds with severe and damaging gusts.

• Impacts:
    • • Large coastal waves with wave overtopping
    • • Very difficult travelling conditions
    • • Fallen trees
    • • Damage to power lines
    • Valid: 17:00 Sunday 21/01/2024 to 05:00 Monday 22/01/2024
    • Issued: 09:04 Saturday 20/01/2024

It will be interesting what happens with schools - with trees down, possible damage to buildings etc. Is it wise to mobilise hundreds of thousands of children in the dark Monday morning?

For 90% it would be totally fine, but there will be areas in the Northwest where they leave very early for school long before dawn. It's hard to assess school buildings before students arrive at 8am, every single secondary school in a 50km radius here has prefabricated buildings that according my children, move and creak during heavy winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Depends on a number of factors, mainly wind speed and wind direction relative to the runway direction. Taking both of these into account is the x-wind or crosswind component. All aircraft types have x-wind limits for various runway contaminants, in this case dry or wet runways.

The aircraft you will be flying on tomorrow is an ATR72.

They will make a decision based on the airfield forecast, also known as a TAF. If conditions are forecast out of limits at the airport in question, the operator will likely choose to cancel the flight. If conditions are marginal, the operator will monitor 30min weather reports or metars. A final decision will be made to either dispatch, delay or cancel the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

So according to Met Eireann, Storm Isha is going to take a little rest as it heads across Meath and Westmeath before unleashing its full fury on Dublin and Louth. Maybe the residents of Drogheda and Balbriggan might like to go to Bettystown for a break tomorrow if it all gets too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah lads and lassies, do we have to do Met Eireann bashing EVERY SINGLE TIME. Before, during and after ad nauseum. Yeah yeah they should have been warning us yesterday about a storm on Sunday when the roads were lethal with ice yesterday. Just to get ahead of it like. Nothing worse than over-communication. Let's not try and pamper the entire soft Irish population every single time. I'll be eating my Sunday dinner today just so I don't starve tomorrow. When I am perfect at my job, I'll start bashing.

Or we can just enjoy the weather event?

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

ECM model not to severe for the southwest 115kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Based in Meath myself. I'd like to think I am able apply common sense and personal responsibility when it comes to such things but the idea that Meath and Westmeath are going to bypassed by the storm only serve to undermine the credibility of the weather warnings in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'm not usually in the business of bashing them but the point comes up again and again. The UK Met Office were flagging this storm a few days ago with YouTube videos etc. It was a measured message just to let people know of a potential storm. Meanwhile other than the tv forecasts all Met Eireann have is their website/app, and until yesterday evening there was nothing about it and the hourly forecast showed max gusts of around 70 for my area where most models were showing close to 100. They need to be more proactive when it comes to this stuff.

Anyway on topic some of the 06z runs are out but not much change. GFS showing a quicker clearance and a slight downgrade for the West particularly later in the evening but as you were for most other places. ICON and UKMO still way out in front and probably not likely to verify.

HARMONIE which doesn't cover the west coast is one of the short range hi res models and is showing the core of the winds crossing the country between 5 and 9 and much improved by midnight.

AROME is coming into range now so the next couple of runs will have that output.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭pureza

Regarding the UKMO youtube videos,their main audience on them is probably similar to gav's weather videos ie weather nerds like ourselves

I wouldn't criticise Glasnevin for not doing those

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Thanks

Post edited by barneyrub on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Would we call this a storm? Or is it just a spell of bad weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Timfy

Entirely depends on whether you are personally mildly inconvenienced or if a tree falls on your local school I suppose...

Warnings are generalised and not tailored to individual cases.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

AROME not really going for much at all which I'm surprised at. It trends to be one of the more accurate ones but it and ARPEGE are definitely less impactful than the others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It's a plausible scenario created by subtleties of wind direction and geography.

Advertisement