Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Isha - Sunday 21/Monday 22 January 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Yeah the shape of the system around Iceland is still the decider in all of this. In previous runs we were looking at a secondary low emerging from that system and rapidly deepening near the coast. Now GFS and ECM are both showing a more defined low coming out from Newfoundland and merging with that larger low pressure system as it moves towards Ireland. The difference is that on the ECM it loses its shape with the merge but on the GFS it deepens and regains its shape, just beginning to fill as it approaches our west coast. Still a lot of changes on the cards here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hectic morning out v early with the icy roads, just getting a look at the charts briefly, evolving , think that the ECM is an outlier, all the rest are more or less showing strong to v strong and some showing severe winds at this stage which cant be discounted. I think in general the models are holding the strong to v strong winds....possibly yellow at least and could be a good few counties Orange at this stage or all but time to go either way.

Should have a better idea by tonight's runs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 06Z showing v windy again, and potential severe winds moving in later Sun early Mon, will see the 12Z later.

Wouldn't rule out the potential for a strong or severe storm yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Latest gfs still showing a potent system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Still a big spread in the models this evening with no clear picture emerging.

ECM now not bringing strong winds our way until later Sunday evening, peaking around midnight and gone by morning.

GFS still showing the 2 separate systems, first crossing the country from 7am to 12pm, some very strong gusts showing for Clare and Galway there. That's followed by another set of strong winds following a similar track but stronger across the country, hitting Galway and Clare around 4pm and cleared away around midnight.

ICON showing a much larger system tracking further north, showing very strong gusts all the way up the Western coast and orange-red level gusts right across the country. That passes over relatively quickly, between 7am to 1pm but a tail of strong winds follows behind, bringing more strong gusts across the southern half of the country from late afternoon until early hours of Monday.

UKMO out on its own with the majority of the country under red-level warnings around midnight into Monday. Strong winds between that crossing the country.

ARPEGE showing a very powerful system but the strongest winds not making their way overland except for a notable spell around 9pm. Shows strong winds for western coastal areas pretty much all day Sunday and Monday.

Overall the ECM would be the most desirable outcome of this run, but there's so much change between runs still that it's hard to make any sort of predictions on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

UKV looks very nasty for the Southern half!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Uk met Office saying they may have to upgrade their warnings ⚠️ to Amber for Sunday and if that happens they will most likely name a storm ,with our warnings only 2 days in advance met eirrean would most likely name it on Friday

Put them all together and in general would have to think that there is the strong possibility of a sizeable storm with the risk of prolonged and damaging winds, cant ignore the ECM being the least strong while still gusting 100- 110km/h overland but the GFS has been very consistent showing very strong winds overland and is far from the strongest model atm and inclined to not overdo it a few days out. ECM tracking that bit further off shore and doesn't develop the first system to the extent that the GFS does but does show the kink in the isobars.

The UKMO has let itself down lately by totally overdoing it and the ARPEGE should be coming into its own later today tomorrow but in fairness has deviated much.

All showing it to deepen rapidly on its approach and whilst passing to the NW of Ireland.

The UK is in for a right belt off it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I work in logistics and if it means anything at all ferry companies have already started cancelling sailings for the weekend. Not sure how good their met advice is but we get regular weather warnings and associated delays but some of the rhetoric in the advance notices today was the strongest I've ever read - "expect very severe weather disruption" in one. Could be just a bit of a walter writing it or maybe they saw last night's ARPEGE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Forgot about the ukmo!! It's very severe!! Siding with ukv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

UKMO wants to leave the country like the curragh!

Yeah it has well surpassed ICON for its extreme charts , still it is good to have as part of a suite, just find it to be too high in a lot of its parameters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I like a good storm, but even the UKMO depiction is not something I would like to see, but I think they will downgrade it in the days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The UKMO always goes way overboard with windspeed, it doesn't deserve the time of day. I recall it doing similar for Storm Debi in November.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The met office's high resolution model. Its right under the tweet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

gfs 18z maintains an intense windstorm, both ireland and the uk getting hammered...

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Great, supposed to be flying LRH to Cork Sunday around 2

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

Met.ie for my location shows winds 50-70km on Sunday

Windguru, a czech based windsurfing site has the GFS, UKV, WRF and Icon all showing 75-120 for the same times on Sunday.

It's hard to try to tell someone there's a storm coming Sunday when they can point to met.ie and see comically inaccurate data - people do plan outings, excursions, matches busses etc many days in advance - even a brief mention of the possibility of a storm would be useful on their site.

Again, anyone who really needs wind forecast knows not to heed their site which is a real pity.

• Advertisement

ARPEGE has moderated a bit over the last couple of days but should be settling in now. Still shows a very fast moving and deepening strong storm forming along the Jet and a steep thermal gradient.

Very big seas around our shores over the coming days. Little doubt now I would think that this will be a named storm. Very high rainfall totals especially along Atlantic coastal counties and high terrain, especially rough in those high winds and driving rain.

Interesting to see if the ECM stays the same or moves up the winds a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Fingers crossed for a red alert on Monday. I didn't get snow and would like Monday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Depending on where you are in the country ,west is most likely at this stage but as we all know models could shift the strong winds to midlands or even the south east etc

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭WolfeEire
    Clare (410ft asl)

Taking all models into account, I would think that an Orange Alert on Sunday into very early Monday and a Yellow Alert up to Monday afternoon is the territory we are in. Alert areas are as yet undefined. If the Arpege verifies or is even close to what it currently depicts, then we are in red territory from Sunday eve.

www.x.com/wolfeeire

• Registered Users Posts: 13 River22

Checked Met Eireann they dont seem to concerned about it, yellow gale warning for all coasts?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

They can only give warning 2 days in advance, I’d expect them to issue them this morning at some stage. With my untrained eye Very complex systems coming our way!

Yeah very complex, GFS still showing two parts to it, the hi res models showing other deepening waves around it, the models ate starting to show it going through a bit quicker in general, ECM seems to be holding its max wind speeds, not overly concerning at this stage , 100 to 110 overland at times, touching 120 around the coasts, heavy rain as previous charts. Still a strong enough system but not as damaging as first shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very strong and gusty southwest winds.

Potential Impacts:

• Significant coastal waves

• Difficult travelling conditions

• Debris, loose objects displaced

Check back for updates to warnings.

Valid: 11:00 Sunday 21/01/2024 to 06:00 Monday 22/01/2024

Issued: 08:35 Friday 19/01/2024

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Yellow wind warning on ME for from 11AM Sun - 6AM Mon. I’m guessing they’ll tailor some of the warnings for Western Counties later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Orange wind warning for Northern Ireland now

Advertisement