Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tuscon WARRANTY - Automatic gearbox not covered under 5 year warranty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I'm obviously very ignorant with regards driving a S-tronic auto. My wife has an audi Q2 S-tronic, should she when stopped at traffic lights disengage and press handbrake or just hold car either with hill hold or pressing foot brake?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

So are Hyundai saying you should have to fork out for these clutch parts every 20,000kms there or there abouts???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

They are saying that they are only warrantied up to 20,000kms for a clutch as it is a wear item. They could last a lot longer but if it goes at 21,000kms you are on your own.... although I would argue for goodwill at that stage if it was for a DCT box.

They are not suggesting to change the clutch every 20,000kms. No-one would buy their cars if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭goochy

Main dealer likely to outsource this kind of work anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

Even worse so. I said it already in this thread but when the guy mentioned Hyundai aren't fixing it under warranty I thought there was 30k kms on the clock or something not 130k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have hybrid Tucson.

Done about 80,000 km and hoping will not face this issue in the future. Doing about 30,000 km annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The dual clutch boxes are far nicer as a drivers car with fast reaction to paddle change but I see little need for that in a bog standard Tucson.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's a case of RTFM I'm afraid but when Googling anything remember an S-Tronic is just Audi's name for VW/Skoda DSG

• Advertisement

I illogically thought it as a non issue. Its our 1st auto, I drive a manual car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

As long as you’re not creeping and stopping constantly while waiting at the lights it’ll be ok. The creeping is just like you using the clutch at the lights to creep the car forward. When you stop with it in drive just hold it there and it won’t have any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I've driven a DSG Skoda for the last 7 years, only failed once with a selector pack electronic fault. touch wood still on the original clutch packs after 250,000+ KM though I have no doubt they will go eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

That was a recall issue and not classed as warranty.

Posts like this are of absolutely no help when you don't know the full story behind what your posting and only cause more confusion for the OP. I'm sure they are stressed enough!

Anyway as has been posted already, The fact that it's a UK import is the problem and the reason why even good will warranty will be hard got.... hope it works out for you.

Post edited by Oops! on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well it might have been an internal recall but the car certainly wasn't called back for repair only repaired when fault reported to dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

If it is the latest model, they(including phev) have torque converter auto gearboxes. Diesel and petrol models have DCT gearboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Yes it's the latest petrol hybrid model but not phev.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Adelaidedb

Sorry slow on giving an update here. Family member passed away

The car is still in the garage waiting on parts over a week now. No curtosy car given either under the warranty either.

Hyundai Ireland were very unhelpful last week. Raised a ticket. Asked for more detail which was provided and closed the tickets with no response at all to the issue raised in hand. Getting the run around.

Got onto the garage to contact Hyundai Ireland to respond. With a response two days later

saying the mentioned car was in the garage under repair!!

that was it… very helpful update…

frustrated beyond belief now replied to Hyundai Ireland telling that this will be escalated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 genuineguy01

Any update on this from Hyundai or the garage did they cover this or any aspect of it?

No. The garage is saying that this part is covered up to 20k only..

Hyundai or I mean Hyundai Ireland to deal with are horrendous.

Won’t allow any contact over phone only email.

Raised and the just closed the ticket straight with no comment. Two days later.

Phoned them numerous times but would not allow me to connect or talk to the customer care team in Dublin

we had to contact the garage to ask them to contact Hyundai Ireland to please respond. Which they sent a response “the mention car is getting repaired by the the mentioned garage” on the closed ticket.

right so sent a response that will escalate this with Hyundai.

Next car can safely say won’t be a Hyundai after treatment given to customers car which is still under warranty.

Hopefully Hyundai Ireland Customer care team can address their behaviours to customers on their next training session(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

Just my 2 cents, you have a nearly 5 year old Hyundai with over 130000kms on it and you want a distributor that didn’t sell it to cover warranty on a clutch that’s listed as been covered by warranty for 24 months?

The five year warranty covers some bits but realistically the onus is on you to beware of what is and isn’t covered. Hyundai have been fairly open with you about this and IMO I don’t know how you would escalate it but any cost/hassle incurred would be better spent in getting your car back on the road.

There is two aspects of this the repair and the dealing with Hyundai Ireland under warranty.

we still have no response to the issue and the behaviour of Hyundai Ireland to repeatedly ignore. Tactic or whatever I don’t know…… or I do but ….

its not five year old yet. the Hyundai warranty does not finish till later this year.

Say if your DCT goes say 30K start of year three on a newer car. And a added bill of over 2k would a customer be happy with this behaviour. Also left without a car so have to source a replacement car for that period. With us now over a week.

warranty should clearly state the DCT clutch parts of the Automatic transmission is covered up to ….

that would certainly raise our attention to this configuration on their automatic. we as the customer would have looked at other options and made a better decision based on the money paid.

if it’s an eye opener to us hopefully this thread may help other in their decision on purchasing warranted cars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Youre forgetting the one important issue that I pointed out on page 1 of this thread - Hyundai Ireland have ZERO obligation to carry out a warranty repair on a UK import.

Ok you can argue that a DCT clutch disc should be covered for longer than 24 months but it is actually in their warranty terms and conditions that clutch discs arent covered and which Im very surprised at - I wouldnt be happy at all with an auto box not being covered under the 5 year warranty - the customer isnt supposed to know that the warranty on certain parts of a gear box arent covered fully.

Clutch disc 24 months / 60,000 miles 24 months / 10,000 miles 

If it was me Id have had a solicitors letter off to Hyundai 2 weeks ago and would be prepared to fight this. Remember theres a class action suit in the US about these failures so Hyundai are well aware of a problem in the gearbox.

Id also be hounding them on social media on every platform they are on - they dont like bad publicity as the top selling brand for a few years running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm only playing devils advocate here on the internet, but regarding Hyundai Ireland ignoring you the unfortunate fact is that Hyundai Ireland actually have very little incentive to engage all that much here.

Its a vehicle they didn't sell and an item that is explicitly not covered, so thats the first hurdle. You want them to cover the cost and will be very unhappy if they don't, and will never buy another Hyundai. So if they want to keep a customer they need to pay 2k+ to do so.

But the fact is, you very, very likely have already decided never to buy another Hyundai no matter what happens. And even if you did, you already demonstrated that you don't buy new from Hyundai Ireland. And even if you did, they don't really make 2k+ on the sale of the car so to cover the cost of this goodwill they really need you to buy multiple cars.

They are a business and strictly as a business decision here, they are being asked to spend money they will never recoup. So they are playing the ignore game because if they said all that out loud it would just antagonise you even more and would make for a nice headline in a news article.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with their stance or agree with all their policies, I'm just not all that surprised that they are being evasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Doe Tiden

If the clutch went @30k at the start of year 3 I would expect some kind of a goodwill gesture tbh especially if I had full service history,

how ever if it went in year 5 with 130k on it I might still look for warranty but wouldn’t be surprised when I didn’t get it. The warranty doc you provided shows clutch’s up to 2 years or 20k you have more than double that in years and 6 1/2 times in mileage done.

the doc also says clutch’s no mention of whether it is manual or auto clutch’s why would you assume it’s only applicable to manuals?

Didn’t Hyundai reply and say they won’t cover it, also the same from the garage.

Id take that as decision made and move on, hassling some poor misfortune on the end of a phone line who can’t help you is only annoying yourself and the poor chap on the end of the line

Poor misfortune at the other end of the phone is a representative of Hyundai. He gets paid to do his job but ….

there warranty mentions clutch disc singular. As we all know manuals have. This has more than one disc.

brakes bulbs and all wearing parts that are more than one and in the car are described correctly under warranty

for example jump on to the Audi site you can it’s labelled correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats a very specious point that will get you absolutely nowhere. How do you prove that the singular disc mentioned isn't the disc that you need replaced?

If you want to pick holes in their terms and conditions don't forget the fact repeated multiple times that warranty only covers defects in manufacture. Does your clutch pack have a manufacturing defect? Or is it just worn at 81000 miles? Wear and tear is explicitly not covered.

Again, I'm not on their side. But word games isn't going to win you this fight.

Advertisement