Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tuscon WARRANTY - Automatic gearbox not covered under 5 year warranty

Options
  • 08-01-2024 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi

My Other half as a Hyundai Tuscan 1.6 191 Automatic and the reverse will not engage.

Car was brought to dealer and initially was told covered by warranty .

However she is now told that the reverse pack needs to be replaced and is not covered by Hyundai Warranty and that this is only covered up to 20K.

Car has done greater than 20K and is in the 5 year warranty.

does anyone have any experience with this. I assume the automatic gearbox and parts would be covered by Hyundai 5 year warranty.

checked there website no mention that the Auto gearbox is not covered

any advice or guidance appreciated

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Adelaidedb

Thanks Casati, It does

hopefully someone that has more insight to Hyundai 5 year warranty can verify if it’s not covered or should be. At the moment I can’t see why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have 2021 Tucson Hybrid and find this shocking.

I checked Hyundai’s website and gearbox not being included is not mentioned anywhere. There is a "Limited Warranty" on certain items such as ball joints, bushes, etc. But again no mention of the gearbox there. I would suggest to check with another nearby dealer.

https://www.hyundai.ie/warranty/

Thank you master boy, I have checked the same warranty website as well l and I seen the same mention obviously clutches if manual. Brake discs, normal wearing parts etc would not be covered . I’m going to ring another dealer in the morning to see can I get more clarity on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Dual clutch auto in those I think.

• Advertisement

I assume that these would be controlled via wet clutch pack or are they dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I don’t know the specifics but think the 7 speed is dry. Are they saying they won’t cover the clutch repair essentially?

They are saying that they need to replace the reverse part of the box. Sorry not to well up on the auto boxes. Would these be classified as a clutch or a part not covered under warranty.

I assume the car computer would be responsible in changing the gears.

so is it possible if clutch is dry to ride it like a manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

A clutch is rarely if ever covered under any warranty. But as this is a auto, I can't see how someone can ride the clutch and destroy it. It seems a very odd interpretation of the conditions of warranty by Hyundai. What were you quoted to replace this including labour?

So with this mean that the warranty would not stand over this issue I wonder.

• Advertisement

We were quoted €2,200 including labour and have to wait on the parts to come in from England. 5 to 6 days

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is it a UK import by any chance? It sounds a bit strange not to cover an auto box and the only reason I could see it not covered if it was an import.

Also does it have a full Hyundai service history? They are sticklers for this in warranty claims.

Hyundai Ireland can be very finicky with stuff like the above.

It came from Northern Ireland and registered in the south.

Herself as a full service history with Hyundai here in the south since she bought it a year old. she wanted no issues with the 5 year warranty cover which was the main reason she bought the car

I assume the warranty in the north is the same as the south and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

If it was the clutch in a manual car, I can see the logic. But in an auto, it should absolutely be covered under the main warranty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thats your issue there - Hyundai Ireland can be reluctant to cover UK import warranty here. Its usually an issue with the full UK service history.

What mileage was on it when it was imported? Its a 191 so should have had at least 4 services - one of those probably before it was imported - Id say that whats throwing the warranty off - it needs a full history from new including any UK services.

Youre best bet - Ring a Northern Ireland dealer and see if they`ll cover it under their UK 5 year warranty or make a call to Hyundai Ireland and find out why its not being covered - the lads there are usually quite nice to deal with.

Not as a UK import - for warranty purposes they are treated as separate markets.

You would expect so. From previous posts learning a bit on how they work not sure how the expect consumers to know the makeup of an auto gearbox . Manuals we all know how a clutch wears and how the user can be the cause.

not sure as anyone have any experience here with a claim of similar nature

Thanks I will call the north dealer in the morning where it was originally purchased and proceed from there and will have to contact Hyundai ireland. That was my plan Initially. So can they shed some light on it

Honestly - Id say the dealer that the car is with is not being fully truthful - From experience theres no way an auto box is only covered for 20k.

Whats happened is they submitted the claim, it was rejected by Hyundai Ireland on the basis that its a UK import and and are now trying to fob you off by saying its only covered for 20k.

Is it the same dealer you bought the car off by any chance?

Actually I think you might be onto

something. hyundai would not recover as they had an issue with putting it thru on there system this morning. We got the insurance recovery to drop the car off as we are near the Hyundai dealer. As we didn’t mind as my partner had recovery on her insurance. Hoping that this was the only obstacle we would encounter with Hyundai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not directly related but I know someone with a kia sportage with manual gearbox issue. Patchy service history and kia did the repair without question on a 2018 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

So what is the warranty on the uk car?

Surely either hyundai uk or hyundai ireland will have to cover it?

Will contact the north in the morning to see what the differences are if any .

i assume Hyundai Ireland would cover the claim as it in the south and service by Hyundai here.

Same warranty - 5 years. It would probably be covered in the North.

The UK was always treated as a separate market for warranty purposes with Hyundai - thats not saying it wouldnt be covered down here though. Theres something flagging on their warranty system thats stopping it from being covered and it not a 20k limit on the coverage of the repair.

The dealer needs to call Hyundai and ask why - or else call yourself 01-4609800 - customer service. But you will need the VIN not the reg number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I had a 191 Hyundai imported from the UK that I purchased here in early 2021. It had a full UK service history (4 stamps in the book and receipts in a folder to prove also). I never had an issue with getting warranty work done the 3 times it was required, although the work was nothing to do with the gearbox.

At this stage OP, I would be sending a query to Hyundai Ireland explaining that the dealership has said the warranty claim was rejected and that you want to know the reason why. From the list of "exclusions" to the 5 year warranty, there is no mention of auto gearbox so, like every other reasonable owner out there, I would have also assumed that the issue was therefore covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Sounds like the typical Irish dealer attitude of "You didn't buy it from me so it's not my problem"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

So according to this dealer, almost every Hyundai hybrid and fully electric car only has a limited gearbox warranty ?

we contacted the garage in the north. The car actually came from England and sold by Hyundai in the north.

service lady in the garage in the north believed it could be covered but said that a mechanic would have to diagnose it before a warranty claim was accepted.

anyways we contacted Hyundai UK and they said that the clutch pack disc on the auto box was not covered as it was a wearable part. Gave the uk Vin and reg to them.

then contacted Hyundai Ireland . They were not very helpful I wanted to talk to someone dealing with warranties however they were too busy and would not direct me to speak to such a person.

was given an email address to raise this via mail. Which we did so waiting on a response but expect that they will not cover this.

its beginning to look like the Dual transmission clutch is not covered for wear only up to 20,000 distance.

Maybe we should have known this in buying the car with the 5 year warranty we understood at the time that the engine and auto box was fully covered.

i will let you know on the feedback from Hyundai . Appreciate all the replies on this matter.

• Advertisement

Not a dealer issue -Guidance comes from the distributor.

Advertisement