Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Tuscon WARRANTY - Automatic gearbox not covered under 5 year warranty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealers do seem to differ greatly when it comes to this type of stuff. The warranty work labour rates are sh1t by all accounts so it seems alot of dealers would rather be doing anything else.

Treating the clutch pack in such a gearbox the same as a manual car warranty wise is very sharp practice considering the gear change is an entirely controlled system and cannot really be driver error.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Adelaidedb

Kinda what boils one is that the clutch is controlled mainly by the car system. You would expect that the wear would be limited. And if there was some factor via user that was riding the DCT that the system would try to prevent it as it mainly controls it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive had a look at it and apparently this is a well known issue - I think there may be a class action in the US about it.

Seems like there was a recall in the US for reprogramming the DCT box.

If it was me it would be solicitors letter to the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Exactly - when I ran a service department I always took in warranty work - it was always guaranteed payment within 30 days!!!!!

The dual clutch thing does seem a bit cheeky though as the ECU controls the gear change - not the customers fault if the parameters of the ECU made the clutch pack wear out prematurely.

DCT is a **** setup - I dont think theres one vehicle out there with DCT that doesnt give problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have seen many examples where somebody in an office dealing with warranty for a manufacturer reads for example the word clutch, sees that clutch is a word on the exclusions list and so says that the clutch is excluded without ever having a single clue what a clutch is. Without having a clue why an auto box should handled differently to a manual box.

That may not be the case here, but it could be as simple as that. There are many, many people without technical experience doing admin roles for various manufacturers.

In this scenario I would probably go straight to a solictors letter, pointing out very clearly that the clutch in an auto box is not wearable in the accepted sense of the word. At the very least it will then be reviewed by somebody with a bit of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Torcaill

Sales of Goods Act (fit for purpose) supersedes the Warranty.

Know your Rights - Consumers’ Association of Ireland (thecai.ie) - check it out.

Hyundai on there warranty should point this out to the customer:

that Automatic DCT boxes uses clutch components which are not covered under warranty greater than 20K

if this was pointed out customers would ask more questions and do some research before buying the car. I know we would have.

worried now this goes again have another big bill to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Does the new model of hybrid tucson uses the similar gear box with dual clutch?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

A dct transmission uses a clutch system very much like a manual (except there are two of them) whenever you stop and take off you wear the clutches just as you do in a manual, so depending on your driving its very possible to burn out the clutches on any dct system. It's not akin to the torque converter style auto where there are no clutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Ah yes missed that post by 2 minutes!

In any case, that's a fairly ridiculous admission from Hyundai regarding a clutch in an auto-gearbox. Unless the car was abused, which should be easy to tell since it will almost certainly log the driving profile (even by proxy via fuel consumption) over a long period, they should be covering it.

@Adelaidedb What milage is on it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They didn’t buy the car in this country for a start, and while usually the warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, those consumer rights wouldn’t usually cover a fault on a 5 year old car, (had it been bought in ROI)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quoting the consumer rights act also sorta misses the point of the thread, which is that the manufacturer is saying that the fault isn't warrantable to begin with.

For the consumer to have protections there first needs to be a defect to be protected from, and in this case they are saying there isn't, that the clutch is just worn, wear and tear.

Which I don't agree with, but thats the starting point.

There is 81000 miles. Mainly motorway miles not country driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

That's high enough sure no wonder it's worn. Clutches don't last forever.

Just to add I don't agree with Hyundai though but when you said it was over 20k I assumed it was over by 10k at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

OK, that kind of blurs the lines in my view to be honest. I think it should be covered, but it is also getting into relatively higher milage now.

Was it ever used for towing? Was it always serviced by Hyundai in Ireland?

Finally we have got a response from Hyundai Ireland via email. I’m hoping that they will come to some sort of satisfactory conclusion to the issue. Which we will see over the coming days

Also the Partner does not abuse the car in any way while driving. There actually a nice car otherwise comfortable and pleasure to drive, Her plan was to keep it approx 10 years and bite the bullet again with Hyundai at that time.

Now keeping it for that duration will obviously have another visit to the dealership in relation to fixing the same issue again.

Definitely not for towing. The car has a full service history with Hyundai. I think the washer jets stopped working which was replaced under warranty. That was only the ever problem and to be honest we didn’t expect any serous problems with the car. Obviously problems occur with any age car even new ones. But inside the warranty window expect the dealership to cover defects that are not related to user wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Except the sale was in NI and they are seeking redress in Ireland.

What was the response?

Id be interested to hear what they have to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

People do need to rethink the term auto with gear boxes. A true auto box you can use the creep of the torque converter but with a dct or dsg you are effectively slipping the clutch so you need a different driving technique in traffic.

TLDR

Do not use the "creep" style of driving with a dual clutch system it will wear the clutches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Let us know because I'd reconsider a purchase over this

They responded to our first email looking for more detail about the car which we provided yesterday. Hopefully we will have a response later today on it.

I will do.

To top it off the partners aunt had ordered a new Hyundai automatic before christmas. Hasn’t received it yet. If this was known before that there would have been one less purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

Do your homework very carefully before you buy an "automatic". There are few true autos made now ie. with a torque converter automatic gearbox, most are automatic manuals, with an actuator or worse these dsg or dct. They can & do give trouble & are expensive to repair. We have just parted with a 1999 Toyoto Yaris auto a Vitz actually, Jap import, 140k miles on the clock gearbox driving beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Im curious about this. I have a DSG in a Tarraco which always has the auto hold on. So in traffic, it stops, applies the handbrake but still in drive. Is this slipping the clutch in this case as you describe or is it using it without auto hold and lifting off the brake to push on in traffic the scenario you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

2200 euro for single clutch pack (don't forget they have multiple of them in DCTs) only is pretty steep even for DCT boxes unless 1500 of it is labour.

I would get a second opinion from non-dealer places fixing those boxes.

As an example, a friend replaced all clutches + mechatronic unit in a dry clutch DSG unit for 2 grand a year ago. Dealer was asking around 3 grand for same job which is acceptable I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Luna84

That's a good point if they are going charging you it is pointless going to a main stealer. Try and find a good indy in your location as they are usually cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 genuineguy01

Doesn’t inspire confidence in Hyundai’s warranty after reading OPs post and seeing the below.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Many companies are moving back to traditional torque converter options like Mercedes and Bmw

Advertisement