Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2024

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

That's a super success story. Lovely and compact and 20 cows standing with 20 calves of their own. @Anto_Meath being done in a month is a great feeling. Last year I managed it in 36 days

Bit tougher here this year. 2 left to calve of 25. Synced 5 heifers and 4 cows. 6 held to first serve. Calving started on the 25th march with the heifers in calf to an Angus and then a week break until the cows kicked off. Few issues with calving, 3 with legs down, 2 coming tail first into the the world, one of these lost. 1 case of pneumonia outside with a 2 week old calf, jacket and a shot of zeleris sorted that.

Of the 2 left of calve one is spring up well and will be calved in the next 5 days, the last one will drag towards the end of may.

Compact calving with sucklers is vital. It's as easy to be watch 3 or 4 to calve as to the single one. The big thing is being strict on the day the bull is pulled out or finished when when the last straw goes in. 9weeks is plenty.

A small tip that I have found handy over the years is to only bred heifers that have calved in the 1st 3weeks of calving. These are the ones that their mother's have gone in calf to the 1st serve. Sets a good foundation for the future.

The big question for @Anto_Meath will you sync this breeding season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

good results. What protocol did you use, were all in standing heat afterwards or did you use FTAI. Trying a bit here to shorten the season with mixed results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@mr.stonewall I will be synchronising again for the coming season. Its more for ease of catching the cows coming into heat with working full time.

CIDR's went in on the Wednesday evening the 15. Think they were taken out Saturday morning 24th with a shot of Estimate and then AI'ed all on the Monday evening.

My vet put in CIDRs and told me what to do. I know they should have been AI'ed on the Sunday but he said it was no harm to go a day longer with the CIDERs in so as not to be AIing on the Sunday.

Put heat detection patches on the cows Saturday the 8th July & put a little bullock out with the cows. Had the repeats over the weekend 14 -19. Anything I seen that was red was AI as soon as the technician could arrive. Some of them were standing for heat others weren't so I don't know if it makes much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

How would synchronising work when using a stock bull??finished up calving two weeks ago first calving heifer. Would like to her calving time back abit

It works easily. Just keep the bull away from here. Follow the protocol for FTAI on here and ai her. A few days after ai, let her back in with the bull to pick her up for repeats.

The problem arises if you have big numbers for repeats, puts the bull under pressure. In a herd of 20-25 an experienced bull will have no issue with the repeats after FTAI,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Hi all,

Have had two deformed calves born over the past few days, according to my vet there has been a few born like this over the last while. Anyone else experiencing this?

Wondering if it's schmallenberg or something else. Vet blood testing tomorrow.

West of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

Two new calves from heifers in two days. Due date was on the 3rd.

French lim JT sired heifer out of 75%lim heifer, assisted with ropes.

The first and only so far bazadaise cross heifer with 75% bazadaise bull calf, unassisted.

Had 5 heifers synched for the 3rd and there are still two not calved yet, one charolais incalf with charolais and one blonde incalf to blonde.

Had some of last years calves in yesterday. A few of them are bred off the AI bull Knell.. good cattle happy with how they are doing and shaping up, but feck are they nervous compared to other my other LMs like Zag & Propper. Anyone else find this with Knells off spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

and Knell is one of the top rated for replacements! Docility should be more of a factor for replacements.
    Have a load of knell here myself. Not noticing any particular wildness from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Very pleased with knell maiden heifers, easy calved, good milk and mothers. Anyone else notice, some bringing twins.

• Advertisement

@Lime Tree Farm haven't any cows from him yet. I have 1 heifer which is ear marked for breeding this year & in fairness to her she is quite but so is her mother. So go the hear they make good cows.

@893bet it will be interesting to see how this batch go, I also have calves from Knell this year.. I thinking about what I ll use this summer when AI'ing my cows.

Just had a look at a few of my 12-18 month olds and all very quiet from knell but cows would also be largely quiet as lambs.

I have switched to LM4351 for this year. Seems a good all rounder for replacements and terminal with high reliability’s from indexes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Kinda calving related question…

I've a bull out with Freisian heifers at the moment and he broke into 3 beef heifers yesterday. They're all over 500kg and going on their finishing diet this week, with the plan being to hang them in 5-6 weeks.

He definitely bulled one of them.

Would I need to inject her in case she's in calf or is there any need when she'll be hanging in 5-6 weeks' time?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Any thing up to 5 months would be the finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Grenache is only suitable for well muscled heifers, he brings milk and not much else, i don’t see him being a good terminal bull or a good bull in general. You’d be better off using Knottown Roy on those heifers imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I think he had more than that (based on numbers anyway).

Easy calving on cows and heifers. Docile (for a LM!), plenty of milk, and acceptable carcass weight and confirmation.

and the most important aspect is the reliability of the indexes being so high.

Half my small herd counting on him next year 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Ive used Knell alot. I've few cows now by him and even heifers off them coming through too. All lambs tbh. They seem to be slightly more nervous after weaning in comparison to other LM but all settle quickly. My herd would be very quiet. No issue at calving any of them either

Finished calving on Friday night. Lovely feeling to see the last one up and sucking the cow. Started the 25th of march and finished the 10th of may for 25 cows. 46 days from start to finish. One lose due to coming backwards. A tough spring but glad to see the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

We learned the hard way, it's all about timing when to give estrumate, inject 4 to 6 weeks after conception.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SuperTeeJay

Have 2 twin knell 1st calvers here.both are very quiet.pets.doing a great job with their calves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭golodge

First two Lodge Hamlet heifers calved. One with blonde bull calf, 286 days gestation, another with charolais bull calf, 282 days.

Advertisement