Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, it's the same here with mine. You can kinda figure the cow's status though from the results of the calf. If a calf shows up Q204X/F94L and the bull used is F94L/F94L, then the cow is either Q204X/Q204X or Q204X/F94L.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Seanhorse91

1 x Q204x, 1 xF94l. Great bull on the right cow

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

First one last night ( what a night she picked! ) brought them in not so much out of the rain but there wasn't a dry spot to lie down for either. Will probably calve a share indoors for next 2 weeks and see what weather is like then. Used calve most outside but weather is gone too wet ( how much hard cold weather have we had in last couple of years - great to kill of diseases and firm up ground for spring ) Just to add cow is 15 and is the first to calve ( put up a picture 2? years ago of first one that year) every year since she was 13 months of age, calves unaided, brings a good calf (R+ or U-), no aggression and she is only 1 star

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Cow lost a calf here Monday evening and hasn't cleaned yet. She's got a bottle of synulox which finished this evening.

How long could it take for her to clean and when should I be contacting the vet again for something for her. She seems in good enough form and is eating silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Once she’s in good form, eating and chewing her cud i’d leave her be until Tuesday, if she hasn’t cleaned by then you could get her looked at or give the cleaning a very gentle pull to see if it’ll come out.

Oh ok I didn't know that it was ok to pull it.

Often heard about tying a sod of turf onto it alright but don't remember when that should be done.

It usually falls out by a week, just have to be very careful pulling it, you dont t want to cause a bleed. You’ll hardly be keeping her on for breeding again?

• Advertisement

I'm undecided about keeping her tbh.

She's only 6 years old and is a good cow so tempted to give her another chance.

I wouldn’t but if you were doing that you’d want to be getting a calf for her the same day to keep her sucked, she’ll only get mastitis over the summer and get too fat now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Over the years gave a few cows a chance that lost a calf. Any that I got an adopted calf on to was fine. Any I didn't was a disaster trying to stop them getting a start in the summer. Fatten her up and let her go and keep a young heifer in her place if you have 1..

• Registered Users Posts: 42 V6400

Along with the above, if you keep her on and she calves this time next year that calf will be hitting the ground worth roughly minus €1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Set of twins this morning of Saler bull Roy. 9 days early, one red and one black. Never had that before. They're small light little calves but alive thankfully, one up sucking other weak but improving. She'd the first just calved when I noticed & 2nd popped out by the time I got to the farm (~5min). Mother is by Gamin and a heifer so delighted.

Good old Roy 😂😂. You were hardly lucky enough to get two heifer calves??

No Red heifer, black bull. Little heifer has horns there already and bull nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has Gamin got the milk for 2 calves? My first Gamin is due next month to red AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

Used virbac multi min mineral injection on all the cows when I dosed them in januray just wondering is it ok to give them a second shot now as there calved just to spruce them up for the breeding season? or is it too much too soon?

Not alot for two tbh. Her mother had huge volume milk & would have all her calves at over 1.5kg/day so genetics should be in her but shes a suprisingly small udder. Shes getting nuts and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Omallep2

I once had a cow that was insimented with a charlaois straw only (no bull) and he had a ch heifer and Angus bull....

It’s not unusual for Saler calves to come black of black cows.

As for Gamin, first two Gamin heifers calved here last year, small udders but their bull calves were as heavy and sold as well as the calves off the older cows. If they’re of milky cows they’ll be grand. I’m keeping two more of them from last year for replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had 2 pedigree Angus calved this morning. Both served 19th June. One ai and one by stock bull

I'm very happy with her (long tall heifer), extremely quiet and great mother, once both are sucking her at grass milk will come. She looks for both before she lies down beside them.

Challenge with DairyX sucklers too big of udders so when they have a big calf some pain trying get the calf to suck that low!

First year using Ivor (3 bulls so far), well impressed with them. Very easily calved and some length to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Started calving late this year. So far 2 landed but 2nd one is heifer with only 1 spin.

I had seen it flagging up and assumed it coz she was a heifer but she calved and there is 1 big spin with milk and the other 3 a soaked up and bone dry.

Anyone ever seen it before?

We'll know with heifer due next week, looking like one teat got summer mastitis. First time seeing that here

She calved there couple of hours ago, bull calf, she has plenty for him in the other three. She,s a good mother, amazing as I couldn't touch her all week trying to feel the pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

There is an old expression that goes something like "Pride Comes Before A Fall" and we certainly experienced it.

A third calver SHx cow by SH4209 Stoneyroyd Halycon Matrix calved last Thursday week, unassisted. She had a super roan heifer calf from our own stock bull. We don't have a scales for weighing calves but she was easily 70kgs and we've never had as good a calf born here. The calf was on her feet and sucking in no time although the cow was a bit shook afterwards so we gave her a bottle of calcium and magnesium. On Saturday I noticed the calf breathing rapidly 60/70 breath's per min so we called the Vet. Long story short I had to get the knackery man to shoot her on Thursday. I'm still sickened about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We took a heifer out from dry cow shed last week , my dad was saying she's carrying very heavy. Rest of heifers calved themselves. Friday morning she was calving. Monstrosity of a calf. Took ages to get head out. Stuck halfway out. Calf dead. Lifting heifer. I'm sore from using jack, can only imagine what heifer feels like

Advertisement