Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭Base price

On a slightly better note we adopted a white head heifer calf onto the cow on Friday and so far it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

That's great hard to beat a whitehead heifer in fairness always had a soft spot for them. Would you keep a whitehead on to be a cow? I have 3 whiteheads left but they are being cut one after the other not sure I will have them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Omallep2

Had a 5 star heifer calve a nice limo calve and she had 3 spins dry also. Calve left on her and supplemented with bottle. Cow since sold (got heifer value for her) and a middling calve to show for it. Can't win them all

I will see what she turns out like. She is a red whitehead but showing more friesian traits than hereford.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Had a Charolais heifer calve down here with no milk. Never came into milk either. Rearing the calf with the bottle from day 1. I wouldn’t mind but the heifer comes from a family of great milkers so don’t know what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Cancel the above. The cow was sick with e-coli mastitis this morning. I had a bit of an argument with the attending Vet because he wasn't going to administer Marbocyl to the cow. I had to correct the dosage that he was going to give the cow as he completely miscalculated her weight - she is between 700/750kgs and when I asked him what weight did he think she was he said around 600kgs. I also phoned one of the principles of the Veterinary practice to ensure that he would leave enough Marbocyl to treat her for 3 days. Fingers crossed she pulls through.

I put the red whitehead heifer calf back with her comrades on the teat feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter was saying yesterday they were out with a similar cow, farmer wanted a bottle of marbocyl left on farm, young vet, he was refusing. Left enough injections for the cow alone. Marbocyl is banned in some countries, always found it great here, hope the cow pulls through

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Went through an episode here a few years back, after allot of treatment marbocyl was used which fixed all. Was told it was to be used as last resort anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭golodge

A fair size blondex heifer born today in early morning. Sired by the bull called Gazou, 290 days gestation. Found her stuck on hips in time luckily. Cow always throws good calves, but her all bull calves needed bigger or smaller assistance. Her two previous heifers, limx and blondex, were born without any help.

• Advertisement

Update on the cow.

Thankfully she is on rise and is cudding and eating meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

it’s looks a brilliant place to calve or Outwinteted stock

It's a favorite spot for many cows to calve. This one had calved here three years ago as well.

Bluex heifer born yesterday in the evening. Sired by Newman du blanc dos.

Lovely stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Lampon heifer calf, in to the oven on the 26th June and out of it 30th March, so happy enough with that. I looked at the cow at 11pm, you would know she was in the humour but that was about all. Looked again at 2am the calf was standing up sucking... isn't that they way we would love to get them all.

I presume you mean Lapon there? Do you use him much, any bother with calving?
    How did that Earp heifer calf you had do after, did she make a cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

and protection from the cow if you need to do anything to the calf.

Calving cows out in the fields is ideal when all goes well but when the cow gets into bother it’s not much fun especially at night and it bucketing down.

• Advertisement

Trees actually come in handy if you need to tie cow somewhere.

have you tried tying a suckler cow to a tree lately…………

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@tanko it's the first time I ve used him. AI man told me, he has a shorter gestation and is easier calved than any of the limos I would use. So I tried him in two cows, this 1 and another big red cows due soon. The Earp heifer has an AA in the oven. Due end of April. She is OK, but stayed a bit small... but I think she ll be OK. But the pay off from getting a sim bull isn't worth it. I find sim bullocks take longer to finish.

With Fiston gone a lot of farmers are using Lapon, he’s a good bull, generally easy calved but he has a tendancy to throw an odd big calf also. Yeah, i’ve stopped using Sim bulls, used them for a few years to put milk back into the cows and they did that job, have some nice cows off Direct debit, Derreen Declan, fifty cent and Earp but i’ll use Saler and Lim bulls from now on for replacements, Simx’s make nice cows but tend to have more feet problems and are harder fed. I always sold the Sim bullocks as stores and was happy enough with how they sold but i can see how they’d be harder finished alrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

sadly SIX cows can bring a white head to the golden CH calf that the LMX & SAX don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭minerleague

Suckler cow here who starts kicking her calf preventing sucking in last few years, so far calf has been old enough to best her and/or sneak some off other cows. Started much earlier ( almost from immediately after calving ) this year and calf was drinking from only one quarter and looked a bit thin. Put them in and tie up cow and let calf suck and turns out cow doesn't have much in 3 other quarters. Started giving calf milk from carton ( may get some from dairy farmer if this works ) but how much should calf get per day? (Hoping to leave calf on cow and let her get some there too) I know obvious option is to put calf on milk replacer but awkward mixing for one calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Gudstock

Milk replacer to calve for a few weeks, keep it clean and send to mart. Fatten and cull cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭limo_100

I have never seen the white head be a draw back to any cattle I sold and top price heifer in Roscommon on fri was a lim with a white head. I think it looks well on them tbh

We had a suckler cow died at Halloween, I put her calf onto a fr cow that had just calved along with another calf. I sold the other calf around Christmas so there was just 1 calf on her. I weaned them last week and put the cow back with the milkers. She's giving 18 litres atm. Surprising how much they'll drink ad lib

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You're right about Lapon CH4321. Pulled a very big Lapon calf for a neighbour last night. He thought calf was dead when he called me. Head half out and tongue swollen up. Both head and legs were stone cold. I've never seen this before. I though it was dead too. Came handy enough with just the ropes.

Couldn't get beastings anywhere so had to milk 3 lts from cow in crush tru the bars. Crazy but luckily she never kicked. A quiet simmental.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Advertisement