Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calving 2024

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

AS far as I'm aware the October 2023 stars will carry through the duration of scep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@Lime Tree Farm yes that's the rule as far as I know, only on the farm that the animal was on in October 2023. Plus any prodigy will a start rating based on the star rating the date the calf was born.

When it comes to starts I am going with the strategy of keeping more females than I need. That way I can keep the cows I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Calves dont get coccidiosis until they're over 2 weeks, they're not born with it, they meet it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah calf in great form this morning so hopefully over the worst of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Katie 2018

Any tips for first time calver not letting calf suck.born last night taken well to it except for feeding. Got it fed this morning when put cow in calving gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

a bit of time. Nuts in headlock of calving gate. After a few sucks, chance her head free with just the nuts. They be up and running in no time. Happens to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If she's a heifer, her udder might be sore. It will just take time.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya, stick at it, a few times a day. When the calf gets strong, he/she will get a drink alright. I find sudocream takes the soreness from any cross heifer here in the milking parlour. Maybe rub on a layer after the calf sucks in the morning.

Mind yourself, anyway, in case you get a kick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

give her a good draw with someone holding the tail. Will be less sore to get calf on then when pressure is off. Keep close eye for mastitis as that could be the issue.

Had a heifer calve here today. Yesterday I put her into a field near the shed with a few cows. Checked her late last night and she was gone. Found her after 30mins in a far field, but near the calved cows. Left her there and this morning let her back into field with the cows.

She calved away today no problem, but wouldn't let the calf drink. Kept kicking him away. Checked her a few times during the day. same every time, kept kicking the calf. Tried her one last time this evening. Kept rubbing her along her back for about 10 mins with a long stick and she never kicked.

Whatever it is about rubbing their back, it just calms them down. Saved me a lot of messing with my old trick, of getting them into the shed with the transport box and lassoing the calf.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Pulled 2 bull twin calves for a neighbour earlier. Went from thinking we had a dead calf to 2 live ones. First calf was coming backwards with both legs down. Had first one out a good 10 mins, before checking the cow for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is this something to be concerned about. On left shoulder of calf. Not sure what it is. Calf is under the weather with a bit of a temp. Got ajag for pneumonia, but noticed this has appeared. Don't think it is any thing but can anyone tell from a photo? The red ring inside the balls patch is the issue. Not sure if he was been rubbing or what, looks like he or cow had been licking it judging by the lie of the hair.

Post edited by funkey_monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

What are the little white bits on the hair - maggots?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

The white bits look like grass seed.

Might be that he has been rubbing off something.

Maybe. I was thinking ringworm when I saw it first but the white bits threw me. You would normally see ringworm around their eyes, muzzle or ears first before it spreads along their neck/shoulders.

Would it be lice?

Don't think so. I think straw chaff and seeds.

That's what I thought, although I thought the redness on inside would be something sinister - maybe it's just brushing or marks from rubbing. Just looks a bit odd. I'll keep an eye on him anyway.

He is a fortnight old, I'll check tomorrow if I can use the spot on.

• Advertisement

We had a very young calf a few years ago and when we looked at his hair closely it was full of lice, you could see them moving. Vet was treating it for something else and showed us them.

At two weeks of age he is within the age range for ringworm but I've never seen it showing like that in six week old calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have a 6 week old bought in calf here that is not right. Off his milk and alittle wobbly at the back legs.

He gets up no problem but head abit droopy and generally lazy.

He had a cough but that seems to be gone now after getting injections.

Any ideas?

Jeez, you would be better off contacting your Vet that gave you the injections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Maybe pneumonia. Take to vet and let him listen to lungs and heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭golodge

Heifers started calving here. Only one leg and head present, so had to intervene.

279 days gestation, incalf to culard charolais, bull calf. Heifer is around 80%%lim.

8 more left for the following three weeks.

@golodge lovely hay and many of us Irish farmers would like to have it as feed. We have had wet weather since July last year and hay/straw became very expensive and difficult to locate. What is the weather like with you now. I presume the cold temperature and snow is gone.

Only a handful left to calve here. Have them out in a paddock beside my parents house. One of them was messing around a good bit today, went to bring her in this evening-luckily while my dad was at mass- she went for us. Brought jeep out and got her into crush. Calved her. Glad I didn't ask my dad to go out and look at her. You can never be too careful

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭golodge

Feed price here is really high as well. It was very dry last season, grass yield was smaller by 70% than usually.

We had snow for three days a week ago, +20°C today. That's probably the third time this spring with such drastic change from +20 to snow in a day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement