Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rightmove

Heard he is reviewing this next week

with marty morrissey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

might have been funnier in your head, my friend.

Comedy isn’t for everyone.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭yagan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,911 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes, it is such a shame Oliver Callan and Joe Brolly don't even realise all the victories they have had over the years despite your anomosity.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Superb post Dr bogson philes. But I think you forgot Middle Aged Men. You need to include all your phrases when you're ranting about posters that dislike your friend tubridy.

Looking forward to next week's rant about the same abominable ballsack boollix that you post about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭HBC08

And who's in the top 3 most prolific posters on it?....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GSF

how do we know he’s mild mannered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Bogson is a big spoofer and wum. Proper troll.

He says he's on over 150k, but look at his posts, he's trying to save money on his netflix and youtube by paying through revolut from outside Ireland.

And he says he only spends 90minutes online a day. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair to Tubs, this isn't just him. It's ALL the irish media.

I would often mention how I have NEVER heard an irish musician or Irish actor ripped to shreds in a review for being terrible. NEVER.

The closest you'd ever get to a negative review would be on Arena. But if you just listen to Tubs, or D'Arcy or todayfm, every single thing an Irish artist does is amazing. It's so false and unbelievable. Has Ronan ever done a bad film? Apparently not. Everything she has been in has been amazing. She's amazing. Gleesons are all amazing, Hozier is amazing, Dermot Kennedy is amazing, Mescal is amazing.......

Bobson wants to become a moderator of this forum lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Peter Dragon

Where’s the anger? My post was clearly hypothetical and in jest - a blind man could see that. I’d venture your post about Callan’s Kicks* last week contains more anger and bile in a single post than days of commentary combined contain about Ryan on this thread, not to mention the visible anger in the above quoted post.

I’d suggest (note: just a suggestion, I’m not telling you what to do or ordering you to do something) not repeatedly visiting this thread if it raises your blood pressure so much. Put on a podcast - The Bookshelf even, read a book, or go for a walk; something to relieve the stress and relax. It’s like your hate-thread-reading - if there is such a thing as that?

I just find it all rather humorous tbh.

*I do hope you’re not forced to listen again this week against all your power and free will.

Post edited by Peter Dragon on

I remember well Dave Fanning buying the farm when he praised boyzone.

Yes, I am aware of this phenomenon….I did say that others do it too; but perhaps because of his former profile Ryan was the most obvious and most prominent at it.

I’d agree with your question re. have any of these ever produced anything sub-par, because if you listen to the main players in Irish media you’d think not. The problem with praising everything undeservedly is that you lose trust in the reviewer simply because everything can’t be amazing. Its impossible.

Example: Mescal’s upcoming sequel to Gladiator has already been widely ridiculed from a variety of angles, but I can guarantee when he does the promotional tour everyone in Irish media will give it “totes amazeballs”, “must see” etc. brown nosing it clearly doesn’t deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Or a review i heard of The Joker 2 last week on Irish radio, "the whole film is a mess, except for Gleeson who is amazing".

Actual words used.

It's all one big circle jerk.

Seems some folk don’t know the difference between promotion and criticism.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Some folk don’t understand the irony of criticising those who post differing opinions to their own, and then going online to criticise posters with differing opinions to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭mountain

• Advertisement

If an actor or singer or someone who has written a book and they are appearing on radio, chat shows, podcasts, magazine features then they are there to promote that. The host is going to tear the work apart. That’s for critics.

Come on folks, be logical here. Grasping at straws now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭nonetheless

We have often been critical of British media for fawning over and overrating some of their homegrown taken. In all honesty we are 100% guilty of that ourselves, while any criticism of that is regarded as begrudgary. Although possessing genuine talent is something that I admire, Tubridy has been clearly shown to be an overrated broadcaster and is really only where he is today because of opportunities he availed of whilst working for RTE. And that goes for most of them within RTE also.

I think you left out a “not” there, but I understand the point you were trying to make. I know I wasn’t specifically mentioning that type of promotion (when the person being discussed is in the room with the host as it were), more the gushing praise bring heaped upon some Irish actor/singer/celeb etc. when their work is being discussed and they are not present.

I don’t think anyone suggests or expects Ryan or anyone else to say in an on-screen in person interview “Paul, Gladiator 2, it’s a bit sh*t really isn’t it? And your performance was a bit crap too. Did you just do it for the money?. You’re just being silly now.

I was more referring to the kind of praise delivered in a monologue that follows the following type of formula “oh I read this morning that Dublin’s very own XXXXX is rumoured to be cast in the upcoming biopic of YYYYY, I’m sure it’s going to be absolutely amazing and that XXXXX will be nothing short of brilliant as usual. It’s great to see Director ZZZZZ choosing an Irish actor for this part because he and his wife once visited Ireland for 6 hours on a layover and totally loved the place - and we love them!”.

Perhaps mirroring the character of the person delivering such lines, it’s just very false, fake, and insincere.

But I’m sure a smart guy like you knew all of that.

Post edited by Peter Dragon on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy was a big fish in the small puddle of RTE. In London, he's plankton in an ocean of talent. He never really had to compete for a job or make sure that he paid his way in advertising in RTE. Commercial radio is a completely different beast to RTE where failure is promoted and rewarded.

The advantage that Tubridy had in RTE on the LLS was that guests would come to the LLS as it was a major stop on any Irish promotional tour (the Gay Byrne era was the show's peak when Hollywood A-Listers would frequently appear on the show). It was the show rather than Tubridy that was important. In the UK, he's just a DJ on a radio station and agents probably want to get their clients on Chris Evans' programme rather than Tubridy's Mid Morning Matters.

When it comes to celebrities and entertainment, the London and UK market is much more competitive than the Dublin media village and many of the players have been in entertainment journalism for years. Tubridy is as unknown as a Transition Year student hoping to do Media Studies.

Tubridy isn't just out of his depth. He's been under water since he started the Virgin Radio gig and has been grasping for his lifebelt of RTE banter that is completely irrelevant to Virgin Radio's UK audience. The upcoming RAJAR figures could decide his fate. Hopefully, he will have some success in the UK as the Irish broadcasting industry seems to have moved on without him.

Regards…jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

He described his move to VRUK as playing senior hurling or something to that effect iirc. Where was he coming from? given that he was not even prepared to practice or become at best remotely proficient presenting music radio. A radio music DJ does require the talent of speaking clearly and having a vocal that is pleasing to the ear, the technical ability to operate equipment and not only should they complement the music but also have a genuine respect for it and quite frankly Tubridy is not in possession of any of those skills. VRUK's format is by definition described as HotAC but it is really MOR. However, there are presenters/music DJ's on radio stations around this country who are doing a much better job than Tubridy and would appreciate working for a radio station like VRUK as some of which are stuck presenting on radio stations containing (please excuse my language) shite/pitiful excuses for music radio formats while their so called radio consultants/executives move back and forth between these radio stations and call themselves successful because in some instances they have achieved over an 8% market share! It would be extremely comical if it wasn't so sad, but it is particularly sad for the contemporary music radio listener. As for Tubridy? I wouldn't even consider him for a v/o job on ANY radio station in the UK or Ireland, let alone giving him a mid morning slot. Plain and simple, he doesn't have a voice for music radio or radio in general and most importantly lacks the feel for it. You are 100% correct that the RAJAR's will eventually seal his fate.

There's a clip of Leo Varadkar demonstrating his Hurling skills online and absolutely failing. It sprung to mind when Tubridy was mentioned with the phrase "Senior Hurling". Even the Tubridy muppet at the end of Callan Kicks The Year was more authentic than Tubridy himself. He's strictly Montrose village radio level and desperately wants to get back there. Virgin Radio and the podcast seem to be just means to keep his media profile current in the hope of being rehired by RTE. It seems to be a different (partially) RTE today to the one from which he was fired in 2023.

Some presenters have the abilities to successfully move into production or management. Tubridy doesn't seem to have those abilities. As a result, he seems locked into recreating his RTE glory days of being "the most trusted man in Ireland" while broadcasting from a studio in London.

Callan has taken over his slot and is doing well. Kielty has taken over the LLS and is apparently doing an excellent job. There doesn't seem to be any RTE prime time slots on TV or radio open at the moment and RTE still need to get rid of the toxicity of the Tubridy payments scandal that nearly sunk the broadcaster. There's a whole generation of talent that has emerged in Ireland since Tubridy started in RTE. Politically, RTE will be pressured to focus on this new talent if it is to keep the bailout money flowing.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I'm still scratching me head wondering how RTE can justify paying such high salaries for 5 hours work a week, and it's still happening. The fact that the government bailed out Rte with €750 million while some broadcasters are still being payed massive salaries just adds another layer of frustration!.........

Regards

Angry, middle aged woman. 😊

RTE runs on the L'Oreal principle. They think they're worth it. In reality, they are not.

For the first few decades, until the advent of Pirate Radio and cable TV in the 1970s, it had no competition (apart from BBC and Radio Luxembourg on radio and cross-channel TV offair in the border counties, the South East and the South coasts. Cable TV had people watching channels other than RTE 1 and 2 in the cities.

It wasn't until the mid 1980s when the price of TVs fell and homes could afford a second set that RTE really started to lose viewers. The Pirate Radio stations chopped the legs from under RTE in advertising and younger audience figures. The gombeens in government brought in a "licence" regime to kill Pirate Radio, enrich its cronies and protect RTE. Local radio still seems to outperform RTE at a local level.

As long as the advertising revenue kept coming in, RTE overpaid some of these broadcasters because the management believed that they were bringing in the viewers, listeners and advertisers. It was still the cheapest way for advertisers to reach an Irish audience and this is what kept RTE afloat for a while. RTE did have some real talent like Gay Byrne and Gerry Ryan. It became too dependent on Gerry Ryan and when he died, 2FM nearly died with him. His tea boy, Tubridy, was given the show and, I think, lost about 40% of its listeners.

As for the minister responsible for the bailout, that's a whole different story.

Regards…jmcc

Just to comment on the section of your post regarding pirate radio. Independent radio in Ireland has been in a mess since December 31st 1988. When franchises were first awarded to the Dublin area in 1989, it is in my opinion that the late Robbie Robinson of Sunshine Radio should have been a recipient of one of them. For the other licence awarded, I was always suspicious of Denis O'Brien's Esat involvement, but if Radio 2000 was going get that second licence then they should of went with their original plan of getting the late Bill Cunningham to manage and program what came to be 98FM. RTE would have found themselves in a very difficult position as the two people I have mentioned demonstrated (along with the late Chris Carey) that independent radio could be extremely successful, exciting and produce healthy revenues. Their experience in music radio and knowing how to target and engage their audience effectively actually accelerated the department of communications need to produce legislation as Dublin's super-pirates were destroying RTE's Radio 2. Unfortunately those original licenses were not awarded to the right people and Irish independent radio went on a different trajectory resulting in a broadcasting rigor mortis setting in which effectively worked to RTE's advantage. The icing on the cake: RTE producing presenters such as Ryan Tubridy - super bland, having no Idea of what music radio is and to top it all off with lashings and lashings of super arrogance, privilege, smugness, entitlement and self preservation. Apparently this is supposed to be our great contemporary Irish radio presenting export? Another great example of how RTE and Irish independent radio in general is not in a good place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

He described his move to VRUK as playing senior hurling or something to that effect iirc. Where was he coming from? given that he was not even prepared to practice or become at best remotely proficient presenting music radio. A radio music DJ does require the talent of speaking clearly and having a vocal that is pleasing to the ear, the technical ability to operate equipment and not only should they complement the music but also have a genuine respect for it and quite frankly Tubridy is not in possession of any of those skills.

Exactly. I listen to Q102 when I'm at home. The voices of the presenters are not grating on my ear. They talk a bit about the music, a bit of chitchat, and it's easy listening all around - that's all I want. And then there's Tubridy with his babbling and over the top forced bonhomie. I go elsewhere for my nice easy listening, as soon as he starts.

The late great Larry Gogan, for me was one of the true pros at his job. Knew his music inside out and such a beautiful voice. Tony Fenton RIP, another. Ian Dempsey is another that in my opinion, has the combination of music knowledge and a voice that is so easy to listen to.

I imagine the powers that be, being sold Tubridy as the man who hosted Ireland's longest chat show on tv, and a leading radio programme for so many years. Thinking they had got a bargain. They must listen in amazement and think that Irish standards are shockingly low, if this was a top presenter.

It would be laughable if it wasn't so sickening that he was so hugely overpaid for so long, at a job he was never suited to, in my opinion, and never improved at doing.

Little did he realize that senior hurling would be right corner back with the junior b squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The senior hurling quote comes from 2011 when The Greens entered government with FF, one of the opposition members made the remark in the Dail and it has become de-facto type of comment when you move on in a public career, it seems to me to be over used at this point, and it wasn't all that funny back then.

RTE runs on the L'Oreal principle. They think they're worth it. In reality, they are not.

I was pondering this principle in another thread after listening to the Kevin Bakhurst interview with Sean O'Rourke.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Ryan’s London Diary this week is simply an ad for The Bookshelf episode featuring Brian O’Driscoll, written in his signature 1930s British 5th class primary school essay style, with even a mention of some “bad eggs” to describe some less well-behaved children. Those naughty little scallywags should have their lemonade privileges withheld until their behaviour improves!

I would provide a link but it’s so dreadful I couldn’t live with myself if I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭amacca

because hes actually superman.....ryan tubridy mild mannered tv/radio personality by day....man of steel at night!

it's all there if you look for it......the son of Kal-El has evolved ...literally no one suspects.....so good is the alter ego.....the almost superhuman ability to introduce awkwardness into the most mundane of interviews....except it is superhuman.

The Clark Kent **** wasn't washing....Lois knew **** well, she was just toying with him....you seriously think a bit of hair cream and some shite oversized glasses are going to do the job....you are going to need to try harder....so he did...

Some even think he tried too hard!

Aunty Anne was an English teacher and as much as she is rolling around in her grave any time I post of Boards.ie she's spinning with that shite!

The beauty of the show is that there’s trust between presenter and guest so that people are comfortable to drift outside their comfort zone.

Don't review your own show, its really up to the audience to decide if there is trust and a natural conversation happening on the show.

This week’s guest Brian O’Driscoll, was chatting away about reading as a kid when he suddenly remembered an incident from his childhood that he wanted to share.

We know what the show is about, what do you do but chat on a podcast? "kid" in a written article? surely child? "suddenly" …. "go tobann" always a go to phrase and no need to say that the "wanted to share" at the end of the sentence

He was a boy of around seven when a mean-spirited teacher sent Brian to the classroom next door to show the teacher there how bad his schoolwork was. The teacher in question was Brian’s late auntie Anne.

Obviously a kind and emotionally intelligent lady, she knew what to do and so Brian returned to his difficult teacher who demanded to know what Anne had said.

Brian explained that she gave him a treat to commend him on his excellent handwriting! A deft, diplomatic move that saved Brian’s blushes and told the mean teacher in no uncertain terms what she thought of him.

It was an emotional moment in the interview and one that drew a lot of comments from listeners who felt it was a beautiful moment with most of them reminiscing about teachers who were there for them (and a few about the bad eggs).

It was a life lesson that would stand to Brian many years later when his diplomatic skills would be tested on rugby pitches around the world.

Sound like a made up story to be honest, or a really uninteresting story you might tell you family over Christmas dinner.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

You’re being a bit of a bad egg yourself now Ro with that unkind review.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Karppi

She’s looking comfortably numb (bored out of her tree, not high as a kite btw)

The gobeenarchy ensured that Commerical Radio, much like Commercial TV wouldn't pose a threat to RTE. There was definitely a bit of vengance involved in how licences were awarded. At the time, Chris Carey was getting into satellite TV and decoders and that became his main business for a few years afterwards. The production values of Nova, Sunshine and some of the other Pirates was way above that of RTE.

Pirate Radio gave people what they wanted. Small towns often had more than one radio station and those stations had amazing listener loyalty because, unlike RTE (and Tubridy), people could understand what they were talking about and relate to it. They were also tied into the local entertainment business in a way that RTE is not. I don't think that Tubridy would have made it in Pirate Radio outside the Montrose village radio scene of RTE. It was a highly competitive business. Even RTE couldn't compete despite 2FM buying up talent like Gerry Ryan, Ian Dempsey, Marty Whelan, Tony Fenton and even Dobbo. Larry Gogan was in a class of his own in terms of excellence. Tubridy's only claim to such fame was being Gerry Ryan's tea-boy.

Regards…jmcc

Seamus Brennan from what I remember. Ironically, Eamon Ryan wasn't a bad Minister for Communications and some of the FFers grudgingly respected his abilities. Even then, RTE was beyond saving and the fact that Tubridy was being so overpaid at the time was an indication of the trainwreck that was to come.

Without the frequent bailouts and the licence fee, RTE would not survive. Some ex-RTEers have talent (Kenny, Wogan etc) and do well outside RTE. Tubridy was very much a creation of RTE's publicity engine and the podcast figures are an indication. Virgin Radio could easily replace him with an AI.

Regards…jmcc

I am not so sure I am in agreement. He was the last to increase the license but then cut exchequer funding to TG4 and filled the gap with the license fee, thus cutting RTÉ's funding indirectly.

It amazes me that the IRTC didn't allow for 2 radio stations in each region. If an area could only accommodate one radio station then the other would close or be bought out by the rival. I doubt many would have been left with no radio station, and even if they were the IRTC could just issue a new licence for one new radio station for that region.

As for the licensing of TV3.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It was in handling a non-broadcast issue that he showed some talent. RTE is and always was a no-win situation for any minister.

The problem with many government committees is that they have political appointees more so than people who understand the issues. Pirate Radio was locally focused and even small towns had multiple radio stations. Regionalising broadcasting wasn't a good approach. Regionals can be more expensive to run and require help with their broadcast networks. If Ireland had a non-gombeen designed radio industry, the likes of Tubridy would not have been gifted a career.

DAB was a potential threat to RTE and it would have provided localised competition. It was a disgrace that Forbes was allowed to destroy it.

Then again, things are moving towards personalised listening with Spotify, podcasts and other services. In some respects, they mirror the impact of cheap hand-held transistor radios (1960s-1970s) on RTE. That created a younger audience that moved away from RTE to the Pirate stations. Tubridy was very much pitching to the same kind of aging RTE audience than the younger audience that switched to more relevant Pirate stations in the 1970s and 1980s and services like Spotify, podcasts and online services today.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

@jmcc

Tubridy is a creation of RTÉ's publicity engine aimed at ALL ages just as Bosco was a creature of its time promoted by RTE for children audience.

And the Common Denominator with Tubridy and Bosco is that Both got loads of Airtime by RTE to amply express their Upset and Sadness at being eviscerated and slated in public discourse - Bosco on the Late Late show way back when.

Think that Bosco even got kidnapped once. :) No chance of that happening to Tubridy.

It is a very good point though.

Regards…jmcc

Tubridy would not have lasted 5 minutes on any of the Dublin super-pirates. In fact he would have never of even reached the stage in which either Chris, Robbie, Bill, Paul, Tom, Martin or any of their associated PD's would have trusted him with a live feed mic nor would they have been able to utilise him as a spinner. Back then there were no people like his current producer Connor Drew to hold his hand and clean up the mess. Going to the shops and making the tea? maybe. These people on Q102 who are fawning over him are quite clearly brown nosing and towing the company line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭TheBMG

in his defence Ryan would’ve been about 14 year olds when the super pirates closed more than 35 years ago

Tubridy would have been out of place on the Pirate radio stations as he seems to be the kind of presenter that needs a lot of support. He had a large support team in RTE but on Virgin Radio, it is evident that he has a much smaller team. He is probably prayng each night for a book show on Lyric FM because he certainly doesn't seem to fit in with Virgin Radio or its demographics. Unfortunately for Tubridy and his Enid Blyton inspired writing style, he's no John Kelly or Rick O'Shea. Lyric FM has its own problems without adding Tubridy to the mix.

Regards…jmcc

That wasn't my point. But considering the age of Paul Kavanagh and Mark Byrne when they were presenting on Sunshine 101/Nova.

no one has a clue who they are though outside radio anoraks.

Bobson. In shakespearse its the lady doth protest too much.

Lets call this the week of honesty.

Tell us your skin in the game as shakespearse might not say.

No skin in the game at all. I’m just saying you could ask 100 people on the street and probably no one would know who they are. You can ask 100 people who Tubs is and almost everyone would know who he is. Apples and oranges.

• Advertisement
Advertisement