Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problematic relationship question

Options
  • 27-12-2023 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭

Anybody been in a similar situation?

I've met somebody, I haven't seen for years, somebody I've once had a relationship with and feelings never stopped for both of us. But there are certain issues, I have discovered.

Is it wise to consider a relationship with somebody who's had one suicide attempt, two children by two different exes financial problems, and genetic health problems?

It's a tough one. My gut feeling is stop all contact.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Everyone has problems and baggage, some more than others. A suicide attempt doesn’t mean they’re not capable of becoming a mentally healthy and loving partner but if your gut says to stop then stop. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

It’s hard to be sure without knowing more detail on the severity and timing of the issues called out but I don’t see the combination of them helping you having a happy relationship.

If you enter into this relationship, you may want to set your expectations low and know that everything can’t be fixed so you could be dealing with some for the duration.

I would go with your gut too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Remember the reasons the relationship stopped, and add that to your list of concerns.

Ultimately you need to go with your gut. Of course all people come with some baggage, but you would need to ask yourself in the cold light of day “this baggage would be mine too, can I carry it?” “Would the relationship be good for her?” “Would it be good for me?” “Would it be good for the children?” You do right to question it, as you have some serious doubts. Of you do re-enter a relationship with her, there’s the dopamine reward of the excitement, it’s the instinct that keeps the world populated; but are you going to hit a particularly rough path sooner rather than later and wonder where this sense of positivity has exited stage left.

If you are going to enter any kind of relationship with her, do it tenuously at first, see how the land lies and see what a committed relationship with her might look like. Keep busy also with your usual activities, hobbies, commitments, so that you give yourself time to test the waters. Then if it starts looking like the makings of a highly stressful life for either or both of you, end it sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daveluzbo

Go with ur gut. You've mentioned a fair few red flags. Personally speaking a single mother is enough of a red flag for myself, let alone all the other stuff you have mentioned.

I'm going to assume the ex broke up with you and years later has got back in contact with you. He/she had all their fun and is now ready to settle down?

Are you a single guy? Age? Have any kids yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mykrodot

is the OP talking about a man or a woman? There is no indication of either but everyone seems to think its about single mum. This could also be written about a guy but maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am a single guy myself, and a single mother with two kids is normally a red flag for me.

The problem behind everything is that more than 14 years ago, we were strongly in love, and that feeling never stopped for both sides. The relationship was split apart by somebody who was interfering with us, - an no, it wasn't unfaithfulness.

The red flag is not only her two children, but also the financial issues she has with her ex husband, or husbands, regarding child support payments. The suicide attempt was as far as I can understand in relation to abuse of one of her ex husbands, but still the stigma is naturally there.

She is also suffering medically, from some genetic disease, which can't be cured, but only made milder by certain treatment. It's a rare disease, causing her infrequent pain and nausea.

Also we're in two different towns, and she is a bit more idealistic about us getting together.

My gut feeling is no, and it's also all rather unrealistic at this point.

I've also been single for more than a while, and also discovered the advantages about being single. This together with todays unpredictable job life, it's also more a no feeling.

All sad.

Nothing wrong with going 'monk mode' amigo. Have you been overseas much?

If she was as madly in love with you as you were with her, nobody would have gotten in the way and she definitely wouldn't have had kids with other men. If you do have a relationship with a single mother, you'll never be seen as the father, but you'll be expected to provide in some way or another.

She has more red flags than a Chinese communist parade. Don't waste ur time or resources. Remember the good times but move on with ur life and without her in it. Don't get sucked into her mess and don't believe everything you are told. Don't be a White Knight!!

If she has been the one who has got back in contact after all these years you need to ask yourself why. My opinion is that she sees you as a wallet and a support system.

We were both naïve and in love back then. Love produces always some form of naivety. Whilst single, I found other things I liked, spontaneous travel, more financial freedom, resigning from a job just for "not liking it". All the things responsible fathers can't do, - and I am not speaking about sexual freedom, sleeping around was never my choice in the first place.

The thought has indeed occurred to me that she would see me as a wallet. I wasn't born yesterday.

The problem is that if her ex-husband doesn't pay her child support payments, it will automatically be down to me, no matter if I was legally responsible or not. It would in the end, hurt the relationship.

Advice an old guy at work once gave me, that i wished I had of taken..."when in doubt".

Ah cool mate. Eastern Europe, SE Asia, Central and South America are great places for single dudes.

Yeah later on, if she can prove that you are in a defacto relationship, you could get screwed over with a break up and/or child support payments. Screw that mate. Also protect yourself at all times(just saying).

Good luck

• Advertisement

The lady in question is of Latin American background. I have been guessing that advice right from the start. The prospect of love and relationship clouded that in the beginning, but things are dawning on me.

It's quite possible, I would be a financial back up strategy, if her current ex-husband doesn't pay his child support payments.

And if this is the case, even if I never meet her ex-husband, we'd always be connected by this ugly and strange chain of events, the children, he's supposed to financially care about. That's the nasty part, which would always be there, no matter what.

Currently, legally she can't do anything. We're in different countries, different laws, not married at all, nothing, she doesn't even have my address in Ireland, as I am moving as well.....

@daveluzbo Generalisations are against the Charter here. Posts in PI are expect to be of a higher standard ie decent well phrased advice. Please read the Charter which can be found here before posting in this forum again.

HS

Post edited by Hannibal_Smith on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

My advice for what it's worth is don't consider it.

It might have been good at one time but do you really want to take all that on?

I appreciate that she has been unwell enough to attempt to die and it's very sad but is it what you want..to be wondering if it could occur again ..the added issues that come with two children by other exes..

I'm being selfish I know but there comes a time when a person has to stop and think of what they really want in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

I'm not buying the interfering person that split the relationship, if she really loved you nothing like that would matter. We tell little lies to ourselves about such things to make rejection sting less.

The odds are absolutely stacked against you here:

Failed previous relationship, financial issues, her kids will be her priority, messy ex's in the picture, not living in same area, mental health issues, physical health issues.

You're pinning a lot on this "love" that ultimately wasn't even strong enough to overcome challenges. At worst you're looking at someone potentially trying to take advantage, at best it sounds like a massive headache.

Given you sound like you're happily single I think you'd be bonkers to pursue this further. It might be worth delving into why you'd even consider it to be honest. Possibly blinded by beauty? Savior complex? Severe loneliness?

She came as an au pair to a foreign country in Europe, her visa had limits and so had her language skills in that country, the culture was alien to her, and she had to fit into a family where the husband wanted to cheat on is wife with her, but instead she started a relationship with me.

Husband then set a couple of activities to get me out of the picture, like blaming me for all sorts of things, making threats, her not doing the job as she should, etc.... in the end, she left and flew home earlier than previously agreed.

We both went our separate ways then. Legally I could not have sponsored her back then either, unless I married her right away, - and that would have been risky as well.

She later on returned to Europe, how she could stay or managed to stay in Europe is still a mystery to me ( most likely by marriage), - in the end, she was naturalized in this EU country. But now, two longer failed relationships of her, one ex-husband with a history of beating her up, two children out of these previous relationships, one being a marriage, makes things very difficult.

Initially she was very keen in resuming our relationship, I was blinded by beauty and a certain level of loneliness, she was initially very focused on myself, but now she's making certain demands, some of them a bit unrealistic. She also confessed to me one suicide attempt and financial problems, where she had to borrow money from friends as her ex-husband doesn't want to pay child support payments, or if so, irregularly.

I am beginning to see she either sees me as a valet, another financial source, or she is crazy enough to really love me. The latter I find harder and harder to believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

We're in different countries, different laws, not married at all, nothing, she doesn't even have my address in Ireland, as I am moving as well

Is her plan to uproot her children to ireland just to be with you? So she'd be living with you from the start? How long were you together for initially?

At the end of the day, you're trying to convince yourself you should consider a relationship, when your gut is telling you no way. Why are you ignoring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Sure, people have baggage. But there’s regular baggage and then there’s this giant pile of burning suitcases surrounded by red flags. You would be mad to even consider it.

She kept telling me, that her children won't be a problem, she would move to Ireland to be with me, and her children would be with her ex-husband. Now, I think this is a lie she concocted out of desperation of finding a man and possible financial problems.

In the end, I have to get her out of my mind as hard as it is.

She's only beautiful, and has a nice side to herself, but I don't think she's always honest as well. And then there is her genetic illness, causing her to have regular nausea and feelings of tiredness.

This would be a problematic relationship with lot's of hurdles to overcome, many of them would be out of my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I mean this in the kindest possible way, OP, but it seems obvious to me from some of your other posts that you might not be the most wordly-wise person. The fact that you are even *considering* this relationship just cements that even further for me. Why - literally why - would you even give a moment's thought to pursuing this when there are thousands of perfectly drama-free women who actually live in the same country as you???

Turn away now. That way madness lies.

Looking back, the experience was positive once, many many years ago. She was the only woman who loved me in the way that she considered me the centre of her life.

Looking at the situation now, you are correct. I have to leave now, I have to forget her. Consider somebody in Ireland, is the way better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Her children would be with her ex husband? The one that doesn't pay child support?

There are no positives for you here other than potential regular sex and the odd night out. In general any parent I have ever met - the kids come first (and rightly so). Everything else is secondary. It is the rare parent that would leave their kids to pursue a relationship and they would be Jerry Springer types.

Do not even entertain this situation. It is nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Come on OP, saying she'll leave her kids to come to you(whether true or not, i think the latter) is surely not a characteristic you'd want in a partner.

The more I read the more I think she knows you're flattered by her attention and is trying to manipulate you financially. Don't send her money no matter how many sob stories she tells you, and for goodness sake forget about her and continue to enjoy your drama free life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Honestly i don't think its worth the hassle, Seems like alot to take on your plate,

Why didn't it work first time ? if they left you i wouldn't go near this could be a case of life hasn't worked out & now your "good enough" (you'll do )

Nostalgia could also be at play,

f i was you i'd leave the nice relationship you've had in the past , & remember it what it was for,

This time your also bringing two kids hat aren't yours into the relationship & your life & don't forget also both them kid's other parent is all of a sudden a big part of your life,

The suicide attempt doesn't worry as people can change & get better, the rest worries me ,

Thanks for all the tips here. It all makes sense.

I've actually had similar thoughts. Emotions sometimes take over easily.

Realistically thought, it's all a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

There's something that doesn't add up for me with this story:

You say she has two children by two different men. Yet, you then say that she would leave them with her ex-husband (my understanding is he's only the father to one of them) who doesn't pay child support in the first place.

Legally, how would that be possible? Secondly, why would you want to be with someone so callous?

As an aside, you keep trying to bring up the illness and her suicide attempt. You don't seem to be ready yourself for being with someone with such problems. The both of you'd be better off letting this one go.

As far as I know, the 2nd husband was legally fine with the idea of paying for child number one, when he married her. Thus upon divorce he still seems financially responsible for both, - at least legally.

If this is true or not, I don't know.

Also, suppose, hypothetical situation, both her children wouldn't like me, or get on with me. Suppose she would really move to Ireland and join me in Dublin, how would her children react to that? They are both minors? The ex-husband probably doesn't want to take care of them at all, - he barely wants to pay regularly.... And if her ex-husband doesn't pay, it'll automatically be down to me, but honestly I am not prepared to provide for two children, who are not mine, - don't even have that financial capability.

And yes you're right about your last statement.

There are too many issues. I have to wake up and realize all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Fair play for taking on board all the advice here OP. You must have been blinded by lust and flattery to have considered this at all. This woman sees you as a solution to all her problems. She may have found it easy in the past to tie men down with her beauty, but this time with two failed narratives, two children and no means to support them financially she’ll find it harder and harder, hence she was trying for an easy option with you as you have history together. She is lying about the children because it’s highly unlikely somebody who won’t pay child support is going to take them on full time! And if it was true and she was going to she abandon them that’s an awful thing to do and not the mark of a nice person at all.

Does she work?

It's wise to abandon this line of amore-encounter, I've understood that by now.

Yes, she works. Her salary covers her rent and a bit more, plus it is supplemented by some in country welfare agency.

She's beautiful, partly of Portuguese origin, partly indigenous Latin American. She speaks Spanish and French, but English is limited, which would be another challenge to overcome once in Ireland. But that's the least of my concerns.

Her ex husband seems to be a very successful man, technically and analytically minded, money doesn't seem to matter to him, but he also only pays her child support payments as he likes it or not. This is odd, given his high intellectual level and that the knowledge that his odds of cheating the law are minimal. The reason why they split up, according to her was violent behaviour and beating her up, - which is more surprising given his professional background.

Is there such a thing as real love or do women only want to tie down men with beauty and sex and financial security in return? Sometimes one get's the impression, but can be fooled every time. ( I am not the most experienced in this field )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Would she find work over here if she moved? If she’s able to pay her way why would she need to move in with you - or is it that she won’t earn enough to afford ireland?

Most people are looking for love - there’s only a minority who have ulterior motives. For the few with ulterior motives when it’s men it tends to be about looks and women about money. Unfortunately the chances increase when a woman can’t fund the lifestyle she wants and needs to get married for a visa. If a woman can stand on her own two feet financially and doesn’t need marriage for a visa there is less of a risk that she’s just out to be housed.

Look for love with somebody who doesn’t need anything from you.

BTW it’s a myth that only poor men are abusive - there are just as many successful men (and women) at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

You’d be mad to even consider this. Remember you are going by what she is telling you. Who knows what the truth is.

madness 1. she lives abroad and doesn’t speak English well. Are you fluent in Spanish? Her children will also not speak English.

madness 2: she wants to leave her children with a man who doesn’t pay child maintenance and leave them in another country

madness 3: if she does bring the children to Ireland she is taking them from the country where their father’s live, denying them access etc.

madness 4: she is mentally unwell

madness 5: she is physically unwell. Will this lead to her not working in Ireland ?

madness 6: it seems she will expect you to provide for her and her two children

madness 7: you have no idea of the truth of any of this

Cut off contact now

Start dating women who live here, are independent, speak a common language and are mentally stable.

Advertisement