Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

work from home. all of this is a waste of time anyway as it wont happen but ireland would be a much better place if housing wasnt seen as an investment or some mega source of wealth. number shouldnt keep going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭BillyHaelyRaeCyrus

Why would you have to move to have a new job? Global neo liberal capitalism is a balls for people. My grandad was a factory labourer for life and he was able to have a home from the council and 10 kids. Seems a lot better than this globalist neo liberal nightmare we've created

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

After the local election when they rightly had massive losses the rate of increase in vote came as a total surprise to Sinn Fein

What people forget is Sinn Fein took over DCC from 2014 to 2019 on the promise of building.......you guessed houses. They used to have an article on their website lauding what they would do in DCC.

By the time they got out of DCC they had less units than when they started, during a period of huge growth in Dublin.

Funny enough Sinn Fein don't like to mention any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Working from home isn't a option in many sectors. Sometimes people need to move, that shouldn't need to be explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Our birthrate is down circa 25% since mid-90s from 2 to 1.6 expected. The big drop happened in the 70s/ 80s.

Our birthrate is still above Germany which has all those housing laws you talked about.

Every european country saw massive declining birthrates either in the 70s (the more liberal countries Germany, Netherlands and so on) or the 1980s the (then) more conservative countries such as Portugal or Ireland. Every European country is facing that pension time bombs and its not true to say the housing crisis brought this about. It might be a factor, but its one of many and not a primary factor.

Having said that - and you kind of touched on this earlier - but its not just that the housing stock has remained static (with rising populations) but also that social norms have changed. Parts of Dublin like Cabra or Donnycarney. Traditionally these were three bedroom houses, with a toilet downstairs and no bath. First thing any young person does with one of these old houses is turn the smallest bedroom into a bathroom. Then when same person gets married, has kids - they wont have more than two. There's only two bedrooms. If you have a boy and a girl, you've a problem. Social norm, they can no longer be in the same room after age 6 or 7.

Back in the day, there could easily have been 8 or 10 kids in these houses. Or more even, I knew one woman who said there was 17 kids in the family, and it was one of those houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

You think most people had low deposits and 100% mortgages before the middle 90s and didn't work 60+ hours a week, you might want to do a bit of research there to find out how wrong you are.

Newbridge to Dublin Heuston is 40 minutes max on the comuter, 24 minutes on the intercity, with the luas outside, not a two hour train journey each way as you claim.

As for the rest you sound like nothing will ever make you happy not even an apartment in Dublin, but best of luck.

My grandparents raised 10 kids in one of those corpo houses. Still he could afford that on a one income wage as a factory labourer. I went to uni and I need to work 2 jobs to afford a bedsit. Which time seems better?

The posting is going over the top now in the dramatics to be honest.

I work in a company full of people of all ages. Some have bought houses, some apartments, some rent etc. Are they pi**ed with the rental system, of course. But they get on with it and put a plan together.

You have people posting about emigrating to England and Australia. Guess what I can tell you about England and Australia? People leave Ireland, majority will come back. Most go to travel and get a view outside of Ireland.

You are making all sorts of claims and say you want a 1 bed apartment but then have a list of demands, which I guess means you are aware you could buy an apartment but you would just have to drop some of the requirements you have

I think you will find every other generation had choices to make as well, they made hard choices to make their life better. Sitting on the internet complaining wasn't one of them.

According to google maps from a apartment for sale in Newbridge for 180k, to my Dublin 7 office its 1hour and 45 mins by train and bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Old people are also living to a huge age and staying in their home. That puts huge strain on the supply of 2nd hand housing. Mary Lou and her demographics will look after themselves nonsense really shows them up for the shower of spoofers they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Point taken.

In terms of 'older generation cant relate'....

Back then, women basically couldnt work, couldnt build a career, had to stop working when they got married. How did that leave them in the mortgage market?

I remember working delivering carpets with a lad who told me that it was his first job back, that he'd been out of work for 9 years before that. Married guy, mid-30s, very able. This was early 90s. We were on 30 quid a day.

There was a short 'goldilocks' window in the late 90s with affordable housing, low interest rates and moderate unemployment. For maybe 7 years or so. Apart from that, we've been between extremesof unemployment and unattainable housing.

No one is saying you have it easy, but if you think current generations have it harder - personally I wouldnt be going back.....

Im not a FFG supporter, I am just a realist. If you look around Dublin you will get a 1 bedroom apartment and not live in Newbridge. I suggest you do a little research for apartments and talk to a bank about financial advice

I never got a deposit paid for, when I was in college I was working every hour I could to pay myself in college. I took the first paying job I could when I finished and worked my way up. Did I complain? no chance

Why? well I could go to my Dad who was taken out of school at 15, along with his brothers and sent to England to work on sites, any extra money was sent home to try keep the rest of the family.

So sorry I don't have time for the dramatics.

I lived in Newbridge and worked in Phibsborough when compaq were there as it was cheaper to rent there and my then girlfriend worked in Kildare, no luas at the time and my journey was less than 1hr 15m each way.

Also the times of each train journey are available on the IE website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Mary Lou is in cloud cuckoo land and the worst part is people will buy into her bullshit.

I see no competence or talent whatsoever in Sinn Fein.

There is no housing crisis, you are all correct. I should now sacrifice all pleasures for 4 years to save the 40k needed to live in Newbridge,

To be honest Id much rather emigrate. Of course if this country had a system in place for reitred renters to be able to remain in their homes, ie a functional long term rental market, I wouldn't have to contemplate moving to rural Ireland or leaving Ireland all together

And the reason younger people like me will vote for her is because our lives are stunted by a housing crisis the main parties couldnt care less about

I wouldn't mind the dramatics. You have 1 bed apartments in Dublin for less than 200k. They mentioned themselves about Balbriggan first and when they didn't get a reaction decided to head to Newbridge.

A 1 bed in Glasnevin now is 150k, small I do admit. Plus more options available if wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

nah its one of the few things shes right on. irish people are obsessed with property values and the number continually going up so its never going to be a vote winner with home owners. ultimate irish mentality of pulling the ladder up behind you.

You shouldn't have to move to Newbridge.

There should be a reasonable supply of affordable one bed apartments to buy like you see in Europe.

It costs 4 or 500,000 to build an apartment here, so they will always be BTR.

• Advertisement

I think you should look into Sinn Fein record in DCC so because they had a terrible record. But it's not hard to spot the sob stories online from Sinn Fein supporters which in reality turn out to be untrue.

More dramatics. Nobody said Ireland doesn't have a housing crisis. But making up unrealistic stories which can be easily picked to pieces isn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The housing supply problem is not unique to Ireland - Canada, Sweden, The Netherlands, Australia, NZ have very very similar issues. All wealthy social democracies. We are actually doing more to resolve it than the others as well.

It's impossible to get average prices down to 300,000 without a crash or recession.

I could say "All houses will be a fiver and pints 10c if you vote for me". It's complete nonsense which will only appeal to morons.

But the current parties have done nothing

And we need a left leaning goverment at this stage. We are a playground for multinationals. The country was better for most without them. My parents and grandparents never had insecure housing. They could get in my grandparents era council homes or in my parents buy their council home. They didn't have to move to the countryside

They obviously care.

They've been throwing money at the problem for a few years now.

If it's any comfort, I'm pretty certain we've hit an equilibrium in Dublin. So wages will rise faster than rents or house prices.

I think the rest of the country will follow in a year or so.

How many of those countries look down on renters as "dead money" shaming them? How many of them have no plan for renters in retirement. Solving those two issues would actually solve the housing crisis without needing a massive crash

No idea how anyone could claim they have done nothing.

Ireland isn't a playground for multinationals and the only reason we are in a good position is because of the multinationals.

Plenty of Sinn Fein accounts across all social media telling the same story as if its from a play book provided to them. When asked for details/fact etc they don't appear.

Mary Lou and Sinn Fein are a total disaster. When Sinn Fein took over DCC they drove it into the ground and DCC are still trying to recover. Check the facts on SinN Fein and housing in the North which is worse than the Republic and run by Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's impossible to get average prices down to 300,000 without a crash or recession.

Well if you are going to define a crash based on housing prices decreasing, that is a tautology

• Advertisement

We are not in a good position. The country is a nightmare for young people. This is like that 2016 slogan that backfired, Keep the recovery going. WE'VE NOT FELT A RECOVERY. The last time things felt normal was in 2008 and I was still a teenager. The life I grew up with is gone for working class people. Thats why young people are not supporting Fianna Fail or Fine Gael. But you ignore this. You never address the issues

I grew up in the Celtic Tiger. New cars, everyone buying homes, holiday homes etc. You need to realise thats normal for my generation and we cant have the lifestyle we grow up having as normal. We cant even own a decent house

Advertisement