Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It would be much better if they were not there. I can't see what good will come out of them competing and as you say there's going to be protests and controversy galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Didn't the artist's original lyrics include politically charged stuff regarding the Israel/Hamas "war"? I wouldn't feel too sorry for them.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

I hadn’t realised that. I’ve been screening most of the Israeli coverage so I hadn’t been paying attention. I was giving the artist and writer is the benefit of the doubt and assuming they just wanted to write and perform a song for Europe as it were. , And shame on them for using their song as a medium to pour even more fuel on the out of control dumpster fire in Gaza right now. They deserve all of the hostility they get

Post edited by squonk on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was the song not originally called October Rain or something?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yeah, I have zero sympathy for the Israeli singer and any booing she may receive. She was more than happy to be a propaganda puppet for the Israeli government until the EBU stepped in and made them change their song. Yes she's young, but still old enough to know better and arm herself with the full facts of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Changes ahead for this year, the big five plus Sweden will now perform live in the semi finals.

Not a fan of this change. Acts like Bambie are already at a disadvantage being drawn in the first half, now there's an extra three songs thrown in the mix. Iceland have announced that they will be taking part, so that means Doomsday Blue will now be sang amongst eighteen songs as opposed to fifteen 😐

The next change is voting will be open from the beginning of the final as opposed to when all acts have performed. I don't think this matters too much either way, this system operated in 2010 and 2011 and doubt it had much impact on the results. Probably just trying to generate more revenue.

In other news, Sweden have been drawn to open the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭supereurope

I saw this news break just as I was heading for a walk in the park. Thinking about it during my walk, I think it's a great idea to have the automatic qualifiers perform in the semi-finals as non-competing artists. They clearly suffer from being heard only once, a concern the EBU has had since 2003, the year the decision was made to expand the contest with semi-finals. I do hope, though, that these countries are inserted into the running order in such a way that they don't damage the competing acts. Perhaps putting one on first and the other two on after the commercial breaks could work, and spare competing acts from these awful slots.

Less keen on the decision to extend the voting window. It was tried before, in 2010 and 2011, after which the EBU scrapped it. I don't recall the EBU saying why they dropped it for 2012, so I'd love to know why they want to bring it back now. Have the reasons for scrapping it in 2012 been resolved?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but during my walk, I was thinking that the running order draw for Sweden must have already taken place and Sweden was probably drawn second or something. Arrived home to find out they had been drawn first. Eurofans loved to scream "RIGGED" at anything they don't like, but this does stink a little.

I think this is the first time since 1970 that the host country opens. I'm glad Iceland has decided to compete, a withdrawal would have meant nothing anyway at this stage. Plus it won't impact Bambie, Iceland is probably the least likely qualifier in the first semi-final.

But wouldn't Sweden have had to perform (and compete) in a semi final anyway?

Hosts never got a by to the final...

No, host country always qualifies for the final automatically.

Really? I don't ever remember that... and could have sworn I saw Ukraine compete in last years Semi...

• Advertisement

I'm afraid not, while Ukraine wasn't the host, it was given a slot in the grand final. Perhaps you're just thinking of the short chat with the Ukrainian singers and clip of their song that was shown during one of the semi-finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭squonk

Are they capping votes per phone number? Opening lines from the start seems like a cynical cash grab so the casual viewer might get involved more and they’ll rake in more revenue. I don’t see it being a positive otherwise though. People might throw a casual vote then switch channels and come back fur the voting later. I think the current system kind of ensures you’ve watched the whole thing at least.

I think there's a limit of 20 votes per phone number. Been in place a few years.

Bambi will be getting 20 votes in the semi final from our Lithuanian phone then…

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

Surely Sweden being drawn first in the final is not good for them?? It's not generally considered a good slot is it?

I think their song this year is awful. As others have mentioned previously, style over substance. I'm often pro-Sweden but I really hope they don't get their usual Top 10 placing this year.

On a different note, I'm absolutely loving the Greek entry. The video is brilliant. How it will sound live on stage I have no idea but I just can't stop watching the video.

My top 3 at the moment are Greece, Croatia and Italy.

#1 is definitely not a good draw for Sweden - means it will be followed by 25 songs and a real risk this will cost it votes.

Georgia

Haven't listened yet, but I haven't been hearing great things!

Deadline was yesterday but we're still waiting on both Armenia and Azerbaijan

Though it will be helped by the phone lines opening at the start of the show. What a coincidence, eh?

Some people are pointing out that exactly 40 years ago, brothers representing Sweden were the first performers on stage - and they won.

Can't see history repeating itself.

Bambi performing Doomsday Blue live in Amsterdam in April.

I hope this will be televised like the one 2 weeks ago…

Armenia - Null Points

she sings lalalalalala a lot…

• Advertisement

Will listen to Armenia when I get home. Just Azerbaijan to go and we'll have our full house!

Reaction online looks very positive, though some say it's a throwback to the mid-2000s, when the contest was dominated by ethnic entries. I like it, but there's definitely too many lalalalas. Still, worked for Spain in '68...

I like that Armenian one.

Yeah, they spammed the lalalala but one of the better ones I've heard this year, tbh.

I read somewhere it's a reworked version of a song the group released last autumn. The original version is quite short, so instead of padding it out with a new verse, they've added lots and lots of lalalalas.

Still, I like it, and it should qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Does Ireland have any serious competition for last place?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I'm at a loss here why has Bambi gone out to 55 1 her video is sky rocketing and pretty big y t channels love it she also releasing tones of stuff on social media loved the piano acoustic version.

I was told lord i wud not when hmmm I think I might put another bet on lol

I think people are so used to Ireland bombing and failing to qualify, it has become their default position. If Doomsday Blue was the Norwegian entry, there's no way it would be an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Yes the Mrs cretin hop said they are used to guff from Ireland your onto something here

BTW I'm flat out at work day off 2"mw Friday bring my inspiration 4 yr old Friday to circus.

As I said I write play perform music got piano and acoustic out....

B note and b minor for I I living a lie etc

The notes played on right hand e min D major

The full chorus sis the same thing I thing they're is a switch over I will figure it out tomorrow

Basically it's very easy to play and complex at same time.

The dreamy switch is a mix of minor sad.. To D major happyish which is why it sort of seems jazz bluwish

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not really a Eurovision expert but I remember every song Ireland put through in the past 10 years being super bland generic sounding "feel good ballads" that you forgot immediately after hearing. Was no surprise that we didn't qualify. I'm not a huge fan of Bambi's song personally but it sounds a bit memorable and different in the same way as Jedward's "Lipstick" was somewhat catchy and memorable so I'd be willing to bet hard money that we make it through to the final this time round.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
Advertisement