Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options
  • 17-12-2023 1:41am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Selection season well under way so time to start the thread.

Semi-final 1: 7 May 2024

Semi-final 2: 9 May 2024

Final: 11 May 2024

Is 2024 the year Ireland finally lose their crown and Sweden get win #8?

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's still 2023 and we already have two entries for 2024!

France

Nothing particularly original about this ballad, but if he brings it live then I think the juries will really appreciate it. Not sure how the televote will go.

Czech Republic

Nothing to get excited about here I think, can't see the it making a televote-only top ten in the semi final.

I think Olly Alexander is good news for the UK. He's reasonably well known, has had chart success and he's actually a fan of the contest so will give it his all. Have heard his live vocals are supposed to be pretty ropey though, so who knows. At the end of the day it all depends on the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I hope we win, that should put RTÉ in its place, they plan to spend 200k on Eurovision in 2024, excluding the 100k entry fee.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oh dear, shouldn't be using Energon cubes in stage design, that's just inviting a Transformers battle to take place at the venue...

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Energon

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Not long until our hopes are dashed for another year, looking forward to it already 😍

Joking aside though, I'd love just once for something decent to be among them. Like not a contender to win, but maybe a song that'll easily qualify and maybe finish 9th in the final. I think I'll have to keep dreaming though.

Meanwhile, here's Albania

Maybe a bit less wailing this year, but it's still a woman singing a power ballad as per.

Apparently these are the six acts/songs due to be unveiled next week

I only heard of Bambie Thug a few days ago, but god wouldn't she be a welcome change in direction for Ireland?! Tsunami is a bit of a tune.

The Ailsha song looks like it could offer something a bit different too, if this brief, low-quality clip is anything to go by.

Next In Line are another Louis Walsh conveyor belt boyband. Tbf to them they can actually sing pretty well, but I wouldn't be holding out much hope for the song.

If the above list is true, then it seems the Gardiner Brothers & Luke Thomas were rejected by RTE

Somewhat surprising, because the song isn't terrible and the brothers have 1.3 million followers on Instagram so would've been able to promote the song quite heavily. The Irish dancing did scream Irish for the sake of being Irish though, surprised they didn't have a leprechaun drinking Guinness in there too.

Cruachan were also rejected for the second consecutive year, and have now said they're not gonna bother applying again.

According to this thread on Escforum four acts were chosen from songs submitted to RTE whilst two were seemingly put straight into the final. I'm guessing Louis Walsh's band must've gotten the free pass, because Louis' had so much recent success when it comes to Eurovision in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah I'm guessing the Bambie Thug song will need some lyric work to make it Eurovision safe...

I assume the selection process is on the LLS? Has the date been set yet?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It is, depressingly, a part of the Late Late again this year. No official confirmation yet, but I've seen January 26th being mentioned as our date for selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭supereurope

The Late Late Show format doesn't work, the results from the past few years confirm that. The night after the 2023 LLS special, I watched the final of the Norwegian selection, held in a massive arena and a proper television event, like it is in Sweden. RTÉ doesn't even bother holding a stand-alone national final, but incorporates it into another show, then acts surprised when the chosen act gets nowhere.

Agreed 100%, but the Late Late format is here to stay unfortunately. Michael Kealy basically confirmed this in a recent podcast. RTE aren't willing to invest in it, and even less so since the Tubridy debacle broke out and far less are paying their tv licenses. It's a pretty handy excuse for them.

Don't forget Louis managed Johnny Logan when he won in 1987 and Linda Martin when she won in 1992, so OF COURSE he knows all about how to win Eurovision in 2024. Honestly, keeping Louis and Linda so closely involved in our selection for years is much of the reason we've struggled so much post-2000. Yes, Linda is a winner and I'm not denying that (though she didn't deserve to win in 1992, but she should have won in a landslide in 1984), but just because you won Eurovision once doesn't make you an expert on how to do well know. You don't see Abba involved in the Swedish section or Bobbysocks in Norway's.

EDIT: adding this paragraph in. Cheryl Baker made an absolute fool of herself while acting as a pundit for the BBC during the 2021 semi-finals. She criticised the excellent Ukrainian singer as being "pitchy" and said the pre-contest favourites like Lithuania had no hope of qualifying. Every prediction she made was wrong. Since then, she's been kept away from punditry, the BBC realising that someone who won the contest years ago might not be the best person to talk about the modern-day event.

Oh, and I think it was best that Gardiner Brothers number didn't make it in. We need to drop all that diddly-aye rubbish, Europe had repeatedly said no to it. And while they're big on social media, I don't know how much of a help that really is. I mean, Jendrik from Germany (2021) and Reiley from Denmark (2023) were both huge on TikTok and social media, and look what happened there.

Just post this here also a few thought on Ray D'arcy show interview with Michael Kealy, RTÉ's Eurovision boss

1. He says he had wanted to move to a show across several weeks
    2. He says events outside of our control (actually those events were all to do with RTÉ and well with in their control, RTÉ just got out of control)
    3. Ye have to laugh, yeah!
    4. Selection process started in June (Wait so you just said that you'd wanted to move the show, but didn't all of this happen in June, so that was probably the shortest thought that anyone has ever had)
    5. They usual start in September, I would love to know what this guy does outside of the Eurovision.
    6. 380 entries receive boiled down to 60 and then got people to listen, any eurovision fans get to listen?
    7. He knows how to use excel
    8. 5 with the Wildcard being about who's who, when did their entry arrive ?
    9. PIL and Wild Youth both being wild tracked last year (that worked out)
    10. He approached them and they came back to him (yeah very fair)
    11. no science, at all, I like some, others like some, Europe likes NONE
    12. Future, should be stand alone but it all depends on finances (why what happened, what happened, did something happen, I wonder what happened)
    13. We look down at the Eurovision, making it credible (just not in RTÉ, honestly I have watch Eurovision over the last 3 years, first year was quiet good and surprising, last 2 years not so much (maybe I only watched 2 years), I won't be going back it wasn't that good TBF).
    14. Boycott due to Israel, its shocking, we are a public service broadcasting service (expect what happened back there in June)
    15. Same as we did last year, I think! International Jury, National Jury and Phone Vote
    16. Weighting of the vote is spelt weighting not waiting, why explain this?
    17. 6 finalist will be announce on Ray D'Arcy
    18. TLLS will have a Eurovision.
    19. Are you hopeful ....
    20. Is Kevin Bee hopeful :)

COME ON IRELAND LETS BRING THE EUROVISION BACK JUST TO F WITH RTÉ

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22339532/

______

Yesterday

Ray D’Arcy playing the first song right now, ‘Love Me Like I Do’ by Erica Cody.

Put me in mind of - oddly enough - Years And Years. A bit so-so though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Sounds good ish, it will look atrocious though in the corner of the broom cupboard studio, with limited camera angles, atrocious sound stage

Post edited by squarecircles on

Song A Erica Cody Love Me Like I Do

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22340356/

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The Erica Cody song is a bit generic but far from the worst, might have a decent shot of getting out of the semi final.

On first listen I like Erica's song. It's of reasonable quality, and would be a borderline qualifier. Hoping there's better to come though 👀

Probably the worst year we could send a "Years & Years"-type song considering Olly Alexander is the UK rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

To answer your question, I was a Eurofan on the panel.

Ailsha’s song! 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

SOUNDS LIKE GRIMES, THIS IS EPIC.

DEFINITE QUALIFIER IF ITS CHOSEN.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ailsha may be well got but her 'song' is a pile of crap. Shows how far your name gets you. Maybe the stage show is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

Ailsha is the best choice for Ireland to do well in tihs competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭corkie

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement