Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Libertine07

Apparently #3 is a common slot for the more unusual entries so my bet is on that (I hope I'm wrong!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Libertine07

We're fourth, after Lithuania and before the UK and Ukraine.

While it could have been worse, it's not great either.

Serbia drew the short straw in #2.

Surprised Poland are on relatively late.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm happy enough with fourth, all I wanted was to avoid 1-3. Would prefer not following Lithuania, but happy enough to precede the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Disastrous draw.

Our chances of qualifying are seriously low.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am guessing UK won't be singing live? It will just be the music video?

Doesn't sound like the best draw for us :( but still hopeful we can make it if performance is solid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No, they sing and perform live now in the semi final… gives them a better shot in the final…

• Registered Users Posts: 31,847 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh interesting! Makes sense I think puts the big five (and host) at a bit of a disadvantage not performing in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Statistically songs numbered 2 to 6 don't qualify.

Our song isn't good as well.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Statistically songs numbered 2 to 6 don't qualify.

Say what now?! Portugal and Serbia both qualified from here in SF1 last year, and only Romania failed to make it from this section of SF2 last year. Songs 2, 4, 5 & 6 all qualified. Second half is undeniably better, but our draw is hardly disastrous.

Your second point is a matter of opinion, but I think the song is great. The general fan feedback has been pretty good too, but it will prove too polarising for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Running orders in full…

The UK smooshed between Ireland and Ukraine to dampen down the general cruminess of the song. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭supereurope

I was travelling yesterday so only able to comment on the running orders now.

I think fourth is very good for Bambie. There was never a risk of going on first - the opener has to be conventional pop and that isn't Bambie - but I was worried the producers might have put them second. Fourth is fine, and statistically, it's a good position. Latvia failed to qualify from fourth position in the first semi-final last year, but that is the only time in the last six semis that the song in fourth hasn't made the final. Cyprus had been tipped as the most likely opener, so no surprise there.

I think it's also good we've been kept away from Croatia (still the favourite, even if Baby Lasagna does seem to be losing momentum slightly) and it's very unlikely there'll be a commercial break that early, so Bambie won't be the first act on after a break (which tends to be a terrible position.)

While it's mainly good news, there is some bad news as well. I don't think it's great we're following Lithuania, another offbeat, quirky entry. Silvester also seems to be building some momentum right now, and I think there's a chance as the contest approaches that he might overtake Croatia as the favourite. Also, as someone here predicted, Luxembourg has been given the closing slot, which must improve their chances (with a song that doesn't deserve to qualify.)

There's also an unknown factor this year as we don't know how the performances from the automatic qualifiers will impact things. I suspect, though, that it'll be better to be on directly BEFORE an automatic qualifier than directly after. People might lose interest on hearing a song they can't vote for.

Overall, though, I think it's mainly good news and I'm sure Bambie's chances of making the final have improved.

My sympathies go to Norway, it's going to be hell for them facing a likely hostile crowd after Israel's performance. There might be a break after Israel to give the audience time to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is a bit random... BBC4 will air a Eurovision Night on Sunday 7th April, introduced by Hannah Waddingham.

The 1974 song contest will be screened in full, featuring Abba and Olivia Newton John.

On Saturday April 6th, BBC2 will run an Abba night.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

does anyone know if the concert in Amsterdam on April 13th will be televised?

Will be our first chance to see Bambi's live performance I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambie is actually in Madrid this weekend for the first pre-party of the season. No internet feed unfortunately, but we're sure to get lots of fan clips anyway on YouTube.

Not sure about TV coverage of Amsterdam, but it's definitely the biggest venue Bambie will play before Eurovision....holds several thousand people and has a large stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

This year's annual poll of voting as if you are from your country has opened! Basically, your Top 10 is combined with others from your country in order to form a set of Eurovision points, just like in the actual Eurovision (you can vote for your own country and it'll count in the overall point totals but not in the national one). Bambie's actually doing pretty decently, they're in the top half of the points as of right now, 12th or so in overall points and 14th in the national point based system!

https://scorewiz.eu/poll

Right, here are my predicted qualifiers for Semi Final 1, in approximate order of confidence

Qualifying

Croatia
    Lithuania
    Ukraine
    Poland
    Finland
    Ireland
    Cyprus
    Luxembourg
    Portugal
    Slovenia

NQ

Serbia
    Moldova
    Azerbaijan
    Australia
    Iceland

Croatia, Lithuania and Ukraine are all obviously safe as houses. Poland isn't quite in their league but is more than good enough to easily qualify, aided strongly by their widespread diaspora. Finland will attract enough votes to qualify easily enough before being sank by Joost in the final. My somewhat bold prediction for now is that Ireland will qualify with relative ease. I think the song is great and hopefully they'll get the staging right. Cyprus is basic but should get them to the final again.

Luxembourg is poor enough quality but has been given the pimp slot and will get a few 'welcome back votes'. Portugal could get forgotten but I think is distinctive enough to pull through. Therefore, I think the final qualification spot will be a battle between Serbia and Slovenia. I was leaning towards Serbia not qualifying, and after seeing them get #2 in the running order I think it's them who'll miss out. I think Iceland, Australia, Azerbaijan and Moldova are dead on arrival.

Will post Semi Final 2 later.

Arrived in Lithuania last night…

Jumped into the car this morning to go grab some groceries, and within 30 seconds heard the Lithuanian entry on the radio (and it’s a main station). They really get behind their entries here….

I don’t listen to Irish radio but has anyone heard Doomsday Blue on Irish radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

no. Even BBC R2 plays their entry or the Eurovision mafia like Rylan & Scott Mills play Loreen. Here it’s treated as a novelty show, somehow outside of mainstream music. Radio here needs to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭supereurope

Most people seem to have Moldova as a certain NQ, but I just can't right them off. Don't get me wrong, it deserves to NQ, it's a very mediocre song, but Moldova does seem to have a knack of selling its song well and getting the televotes in. "My Lucky Day" (2018) and "Sugar" (2021) shouldn't have been in the final but they were well-staged and grabbed people's attention.

Also, the Romanian diaspora will likely vote for Moldova as there's no Romanian song this year.

EDIT: just to add, Natalia participated in the "semi-final from hell" in 2007, when 28 countries took part for 10 final places. Despite an average song, she qualified. So she has form in getting out of a tough semi.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Ray Darcy has played all or part of it quite a few times (including yesterday) but his isn't a music show. Louise Duffy played it once I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭corkie

@AndyBoBandy

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/12622156/rte-vow-eurovision-bambie-thug-doomsday-blue/

"“It’s more a visual thing which simply doesn’t work across on radio.
    Could you hum Doomsday Blue? No! That’s it then. Game over.”"

Hate the way links get displayed here on site now.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

I mean I've been humming it for about three months now, but what would you expect from RTÉ.

In other news, Bambie, Olly and a few other artists have released a statement of solidarity with Palestine.

I know in reality this statement won't achieve much, but it's certainly better than staying silent, as quite a few are doing.

I heard the song (with no visuals) before seeing the LLS Eurovision special, and it was based on listening alone which. Determined I really liked it.

Italy have suddenly jumped up in the odds to win - can’t see it myself, unless she pulls off a great performance on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Any news from the fan preparties Bambie Thug is taking part in? I saw her getting big applause at I think the Spanish one tonight. Couldn't find the performance. Curious how the song sounds live.

They'd have been better off staying silent.

There's 12 of them signing it, that's more than enough to withdraw from the show and make a proper boycott statement.

This statement is usual corporate nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambie is performing at the concert tomorrow evening. I believe today's event was some sort of a 'meet the press' thing.

Bambie’s performance in Madrid…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's good to see that she can command the stage even when it's just herself and an absolutely abysmal stage setup. Bodes well for when the staging is (fingers crossed) in her favour on the semi final night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement