Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

I don’t.

The Wolf of Wall Street was far better in my eyes.

I enjoyed the revenant though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every now and again there's an Oscar that functions as an apology / cumulative career nod; look at how Scorcese's single Best Director gong (to this day!) was for The Departed - far from his best work but basically making up for any number of snubs from prior years.

Not to mention the small point that the Oscars rarely get it "right" and are a load of nonsense, but that's my boilerplate rant lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

IMO Boy and The Heron is a ‘major’ Miyazaki so no career achievement courtesy Oscar necessary: it stands on its own as a rich, complex film from a master still operating at the top of his game, and one of the more deserved winners last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Having past winners gush over current nominees was a really awful inclusion.

Listening to Tim Robbins digging himself into a hole of awkward after his initial little faux pas, Ke Huy Quan tell us about the magic of a person Sterling Brown is, or Sam Rockwell letting us know about Downey Jr's commitment to roles 30 years ago... It just strayed into irrelevant love-bombing. I know agenda exists and life-time contributions frequently slip into current awards, but it was really hammered home with this format. Bring back the acting showreel please.

Don't think there were any surprises to the best of my knowledge, try as Emma Stone might to see herself as one.

Plenty of worthy winners, including the aforementioned The Boy & The Heron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

Bit hypocritical of the Irish media this morning who get so indignant when Irish talent is appropriated by the British media. They’re describing Cillian Murphy as the first Irish “born”actor to win an Oscar which kinda diminishes Daniel Day Lewis, Brenda Fricker, Barry Fitzgerald and Maureen O’Hara’s recognition one would think!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What they're saying is correct as Cillian is the first Irish born, as they say, to win for main actor role. Day Lewis is originally from UK but naturalised Irish and the rest won either for supporting roles or lifetime achievement.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭pjordan

I know and appreciate the semantics of accurecy, but nonetheless we (or our media) were previously tripping over ourselves to claim Daniel Day Lewis as one of our own when he was attracting the glory, but now he's relegated to UK born, so that we can put another spin on "Irish born". I just think it's all a bit hypocritical considering how indignant we get when others innocently or otherwise claim our achievers as their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

We were tripping over ourselves because it was the best we could do at that point and time.

We'll slam the brits for claiming one of ours, but we're plenty needy to be recognised when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Are there any rules around the Best International Film? I find it strange that "Anatomy of a Fall" and "Past Lives" get nominated for Best Film but not Best International film, yet "Zone of Interest" gets nominated in both. Seems a bit flaky to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Every country that isn’t the US is allowed submit a film for that category, which is usually selected by a selection committee. It also has to be predominantly in a non English language, though that rule is a bit more flexible. It’s then shortlisted by the Academy.

France got a lot of media flack for not selecting Anatomy of a Fall, as they could have been guaranteed an Oscar if they’d gone with that instead of The Taste of Things.

Zone of Interest got nominated for the UK the same way An Cailín Ciúin got nominated for Ireland last year. Past Lives was a US produced film so that’s why it was ineligible. Korea itself submitted a film called Concrete Utopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I see. So the French delegates went with a different film for Best International Feature that didn't make it past the shortlist. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm confused why Barbie was not nominated for original screenplay over adapted, it was an original script from Greta and Noah AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Since it's based on existing IP, it falls under adapted iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, for better or worse they consider anything that includes preexisting characters/story/world as being adapted.

So, for instance only the first Star Wars could be classed as an original screenplay - all sequels, no matter how spun off they are, then count as adapted.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I thought Liam Neeson had won an oscar but it was a nomination he got. I wonder if he won Best Actor for Schindler's List would the media still be calling Murphy "The first Irish actor to win best actor".

I am sure they would as noone takes our right to Irish nationality in Northern Ireland seriously. Neeson said himself and his children hold Irish passports yet Wikipedia don't even allow you to call him an "Irish actor". I know because I tried to edit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's 100% accurate. It's just to distinguish him from DDL who is an Irish citizen but not Irish born.

Daniel Day Lewis was born and grew up in England. His dad was born in Ireland, was Anglo-Irish but lived in England from the age of 2. His mother is English. We've no right to claim him as Irish.

Brenda Fricker is Irish born but won for best supporting actress. Her mother is actually from Gneeveguilla in Kerry.

Barry Fitzgerald won for best supporting actor.

Maureen O'Hara never won an Oscar.

Anyway it's a great achievement. He could actually win a few more given his age and status now.

It just requires him choosing the right roles. "Oscar Bait" as they say.

I didn't think it was great anyway.

Likewise Oppenheimer. It's a well made important film but the ending dragged like hell and I'd be in no rush to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How do they manage to **** up the In Memorium every year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

20 Days in Mariupol has just begun airing on Channel 4 about 10 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Al Pacino says "it was not my intention to omit" the names of the 10 nominees while presenting Best Picture at the Oscars, "but rather a choice by the producers." “I realize being nominated is a huge milestone in one’s life and to not be fully recognized is offensive and hurtful. I say this as someone who profoundly relates with filmmakers, actors and producers so I deeply empathize with those who have been slighted by this oversight and it’s why I felt it necessary to make this statement. ” https://twitter.com/ZSharf/status/1767311467026469213

I got that at the time but don't they usually say ‘And the Oscar goes to…’ that's what he left out...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, the abruptness of just kinda casually jumping right into; "my eyes see Oppenheimer" was the weird thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I just thought he had a few to many edibles and was just trying his best to get it together.

At least Al said the correct picture winner

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Good acceptance speech from Murphy, didn’t over do it, clearly was delighted, name checked the crew, his parents and family etc and referred to existing conflicts in an elegant manner. Classy enough from IMHO

Cillian has been linked with James Bond, I think he'd be a better Bond villain imho

He picks roles well so hoping the Oscar curse does not hit

There is talk of 28 Years Later Sequel film and Peaky Blinders film

He has good working relationship with Chris Nolan

28 days later sequel is definitely in the works. Alex Garland has an idea apparently and Danny Boyle is interested. A Zombie movie probably wouldn't win an Oscar but who knows.

Christopher Nolan seems interested in doing a Bond film which would be interesting. Maybe Tom Hardy as Bond and Cillian as a villain.

Bond films don't do well at Oscars though either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can't see him taking James Bond. He's too big now and an Oscar winner to be tied to a franchise like that . He's not a action person and better suited to more demanding drama roles.

Anyhow how could work from British crown after his role in The Wind That Shakes The Barley?

Advertisement