Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Penelope Cruz also unlucky not to get a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭winstonia

Thought Pugh was better than Blunt as well. No love for saltburnt anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thank god. Anything with mescal is odious and boring.

All about Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Emily Blunt in Oppenheimer reminds me of Michelle Williams in Manchester By The Sea - not that much screentime at all, but one brilliant scene that sticks with you

To be fair it would be quite funny if it was Ken who won the Oscar for Barbie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have no idea whatsoever why it would be a shock that Gerwig or Robbie missed out on nominations.

Take the pink tinted glasses off and the simple fact is that there wasn't really anything great about the movie or her performance. It was good, sure, but it would be a very weak year if that was considered the best of the lot.

There will be fake outrage that "women" are being overlooked but come on, it was the event that made Barbie, not the movie itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The movie was excellently directed though, with a far more unique approach to the story than anyone expected. I can understand the performance being overlooked for sure, but as a director she really nailed it. The world building, the timing and pacing, the consistency of all the performances, the balance of tone - all the stuff you look from in a director, she got just right. And of course got brilliant responses across the board from fans and critics alike (aside from a very very small but vocal minority). I wouldn't have had her as the winner, but i'd have her execution above one or two others that got nominated.

I haven't seen Zone of Interest yet, and i really like Glazer's work usually so that might well change my mind - but until I see that, it's Justine Triet by a distance over the other names for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't seen Barbie yet buy I'm sure the only reason their lack of nomination is making the news is because more have seen that film than the others in the actress category. Like there are 10 nominees for best film so would assume best actress and director would mostly come from those, yet no word about the other films on that list not being nominated for actor/actress/director.

Although it probably won't win, happy to see Nimona get nominated for animation.

Didn't see it listed but thought they were doing a popular film category this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a not always untrue rule-of-thumb that the Oscar generally ignore Comedy or Horror with the big prizes; not that surprised Robbie or Gerwig were ignored 'cos they only headlined a "comedy" film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's worth remembering Poor Things is very much a comedy as well so if anything comedic performances are very well represented this year, between Stone, Ruffalo and Gosling. The latter two particularly are as big and broad comedic performances as you're likely to get.

I'm a big Gerwig fan and thought Barbie was a delight. I certainly would welcome a nomination for her - but again it was a packed best director race so there's always going to be absences. And in the best actress category as great a job as Robbie does, she's no more deserving of a nomination than Natalie Portman, Greta Lee or Cailee Spaeny were IMO. The film has also always battled with the irony that in such a woman-led film the most standout, crowd-pleasing performance was actually from a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I haven’t seen Maestro and have only heard bad things about it, and based on that I would say that DiCaprio should have been nominated instead of Cooper. Now Flower Moon isn’t his best acting performance (don’t think he will ever top Wolf of Wall Street) but he was very solid as always in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I haven't seen the Barbie film but I've heard enough about it and the themes involved to get the jist of it. If Ryan Gosling getting nominated and 2 women not getting nominations recreates the apparent theme of the movie, the sense of entitlement people have been showing in their reaction to Gerwig and Robbie not getting nominated seems to sum up modern feminism perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You don't think he topped Wolf of Wall St with The Revenant that he won his Oscar for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Some of the Twitter narrative reads as if Gosling was nominated at the expense of Robbie. "I mean, she literally plays the title role... but Ken gets nominated" 🙄 (Do not watch The Dark Knight, or I, Tonya, The Fighter, hell even Jerry Maguire).

The movie was a massive cultural hit, it returned an insane box office, and it's nominated for EIGHT Oscars.

It's not Margot Robbie's best work. It's not Greta Gerwig's best work. There's not some conspiracy denying them their nominations. Best Actress is particularly strong too.

The revenant was great and so was his performance in it. And he deserved to win the Oscar for it. But he should have won it few years earlier for WOWS instead of Matthew McConaghy in Dallas Buyers Club. That performance in WOWS is better than the revenant in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Dallas Buyers Club was typical Oscar bait.Worthy although fairly boring film with an actor performing a role against type involving a physical transformation for the role.

I'd argue McConaughey if he did deserve an Oscar ever it was for Killer Joe which was an incredible film and performance by him. It was a movie that was so alive and fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mmm, I think McConnaughy was a worth winner and WOWS was not as good a performance by Leo.

Anyhow, hard to take your complaint about Cooper being nominated ahead of him if you haven't seen his performance in the film.

Well Maestro is an absolute turd of a film from what I’ve heard so I won’t be watching it. KOTFM is a great epic film similar to there will be blood and assassination of jj, with 3 great performances. Anyway I can see why he didn’t get nominated for it as his character is just a stooge to De Niro and it’s not a showy role like DDL in there will be blood.

I prefer the revenant as a film over WOWS but the performance in WOWS is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

If Cooper played a corpse in Maestro he'd still be a better actor than LDC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Emma Stone deserves to win, but probably LG will win because she (1) she is very good in a really good/epic/historically important film that probably won’t win any other big Oscars, and (2) she is Native American and will be first to win. However I believe the young lady who played Pocohontas in ‘the new world’ back in the mid 2000’s should have already claimed this title.

The Zone of Interest was named Film of the Year with London Film Critics Circle

Surprised ‘The iron claw’ wasn’t nominated for awards. It could realistically had nominations in Best Film, Director, Actor, 2 supporting actors, supporting actress. Very good film and different to most others films you will watch. Possibly a better film than ‘The wrestler’ tho Rourke gave a better performance than Efron.

Was it screened to late to get put forward for a nomination, It opened late December 2023 maybe it will be in the running for next years Oscars.

No, I believe it just got ignored. It’s a million times better than Barbie and The Holdovers.

Yes I'm thinking a late cinema release

It did feature some great performances

Oppenheimer 7 wins BAFTAs 2024 including film, director, actor and supporting

• Advertisement

Efron awards nom worthy in the iron claw, as he was in the ted bundy film a few years ago.

Advertisement