Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Will Cillian Murphy become the first man born in Ireland to win a Best Actor Oscar? Is Carey Mulligan good odds for Best Actress? Will a relative outsider like 'Everything Everywhere...' come with a late run?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Woulds Carey Mulligan be the first Oscar Winner to have starred in Doctor Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Globes are tonight and Cillian seems favourite to beat Leo for drama actor

Emma Stone a favourite contender for drama actress

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dr Who himself Peter Capaldi is an Oscar winner.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oppenheimer looks set to clean up, best actor, best supporting actor, best adapted screenplay, best director and best picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Paul Giamatti and Da'Vine Joy Randolph took the top Golden Globes for The Holdovers, so I'd say both are in contention for Oscars this year. Giamatti and director Alexander Payne are a potent combination, though I can't believe Sideways was released twenty years ago this year. (Payne won for Best Adapted Screenplay in 2005.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It didn't look like there was a single shock/upset in the Globes last night.

TV awards (to best of my knowledge) all went to the right place. Equally, the main movie awards all looked deserved.

A part of me would have loved Ebon Moss-Bachrach to nab supporting actor for his superb Forks episode in The Bear, but my head knows Tom Wambsgans was the right pick. If they split it the way they split Lead Actor/Actress by category I'm sure he'd have gotten it.

Where is the surprise (if any) going to come on Oscars night? Could 'our own' Cillian be yet pipped at the post? Lily Gladstone is favourite in the Best Actress slot but it's a strong field, with Carey Mulligan, Emma Stone and Annette Bening (well 'overdue') all in with a shout. Maybe here is the most wide-open sector.

Well Barbie won the new GG category no surprise as it was the biggest film of the year

No Cecil B DeMille special award at the GG

Oppenheimer has to be the Oscar favourite for picture and director and I'm hoping best actor for Cillian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its hot favourite for Best Picture, director, actor, supporting actor and adapted screenplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

I don’t know if the GGs will survive their re-invention or if they are a reliable guide to the Oscars but Cillian Murphy richly deserved his award and must be favourite for the Oscars. He carried a three hour movie which spent most of its time in lecture halls and Committee rooms. Such intensity!

The Oscars have been tarnished in recent years but they still elevates the winners to a special category in the industry. I think Cillian Murphy has true greatness in his future. Anyone making a biopic or a gangster movie (or both - John Gotti!) should have him top of their list for male lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I didn't really enjoy Barbie or Oppenheimer.

I think I've normal taste in film. For Oppenheimer I was bored towards the end, shifting around in my seat.

I thought Barbie wasn't funny or interesting.

Critics Choice awards tonight

Emma Stone and Paul Giamatti won best actress and best actor at The Critics Choice Awards, front runners now presumably for taking the same at Oscars

Sandra Hüller scored double nominations with BAFTA could she also with Oscars

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Such a shame France didn’t put Anatomy of a Fall up for best foreign film.

Nominations Out

Best Actor

• Bradley Cooper, "Maestro"
    • Colman Domingo, "Rustin"
    • Paul Giamatti, "The Holdovers"
    • Cillian Murphy, "Oppenheimer"
    • Jeffrey Wright, "American Fiction"

Best Actress

• Annette Bening, "Nyad"
    • Lily Gladstone, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
    • Sandra Hüller, "Anatomy of a Fall"
    • Carey Mulligan, "Maestro"
    • Emma Stone, "Poor Things"

Best Director

• Justine Triet, "Anatomy of a Fall"
    • Martin Scorsese, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
    • Christopher Nolan, "Oppenheimer"
    • Yorgos Lanthimos, "Poor Things"
    • Jonathan Glazer, "The Zone of Interest"

Best Picture

• "American Fiction"
    • "Anatomy of a Fall"
    • "Barbie"
    • "The Holdovers"
    • "Killers of the Flower Moon"
    • "Maestro"
    • "Oppenheimer"
    • "Past Lives"
    • "Poor Things"
    • "The Zone of Interest"

• Advertisement

Best Supporting Actor

• Sterling K. Brown, "American Fiction"
    • Robert De Niro, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
    • Robert Downey Jr., "Oppenheimer"
    • Ryan Gosling, "Barbie"
    • Mark Ruffalo, "Poor Things"

Best Supporting Actress

• Emily Blunt, "Oppenheimer"
    • Danielle Brooks, "The Color Purple"
    • America Ferrera, "Barbie"
    • Jodie Foster, "Nyad"
    • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, "The Holdovers"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Greta and Margot not getting nominations continues to show what a joke the Oscars have turned into over the last 20 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,834 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I can kinda understand the Margot Robbie one... while it's a really good performance, the playfulness and whimsy of the role was always gonna count against her - especially when viewed in comparison to the grounded grit and raw emotion of Sandra Hüller's performance, who is far and away the best of anyone in the category for me this year. I'd still have picked Margot ahead of one or two others, but I get it. (feel at least one of Portman or Moore deserved a nomination for May December too, but it seems they weren't even in the running)

Greta Gerwig not getting a nomination is a total misstep though. Hoping Justine Triet gets that one, as unlikely as that is since she's lower profile, it's just the best directing performance of the lot (and would be my Best Picture winner as well).

I was sure the director category had increased nominees but 5 seems to be the max even though 10 best picture nominees

Nothing at all for Saltburn either, and with Andrew Scott and Paul Mescal also absent, it's a cold enough house ultimately for Irish thespians.

Element Pictures is behind Poor Things

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the best actress category is pretty stacked, so can’t really begrudge any exclusions there. I haven’t seen Nyad granted, but Gladstone, Stone and Hüller all give remarkable performances, and even in the so-so Maestro Mulligan is the best thing in it by far. I’d give it to Gladstone as I think her performance is an all-timer, but it’s one of the better selections out of this year’s categories.

Ditto director - all exceptional filmmakers there, and while you could list a dozen ‘snubs’ - in a just world, Miyazaki would be the runaway favourite - it’s five rock solid (if fairly predictable) choices. Jonathan Glazer for me is the only one who made a true knockout film - and Zone of Interest is the best of the Best Pictures nominee too - but again all decent choices, even with several dozen excellent films not making the cut.

The absence of May December in the big categories is bizarre though. Charles Melton at the very least should have been guaranteed a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I didn't particularly like Barbie, Oppenheimer or The Holdovers.

I didn't find Barbie funny or insightful.

Oppenheimer started well but really dragged

I got bored of The Holdovers and turned it off after an hour.

Margot Robbie's a fantastic actor though and her day will come. I guess she has to choose her roles more wisely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was the deepest breath not in the running for best documentary?? Surprised not to see it there.

Advertisement