Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,751 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So big changes at Alpine all hopefully for the better,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It's gotten some wind behind it again it seems.

No idea how much it would cost, I imagine it involves the new engine department as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think Verstappen runs down the contract till 2028 and leaves F1 for a series like gt,wec etc. He's achieved what he wanted in F1 so everything now is a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I would imagine so, seems to be the talk. Challenge himself outside of F1.

He doesn't seem like he wants to be hanging around in F1 till he's near his 40's. If you are going to try a different racing series then may aswell do it when youth is on your side

• Advertisement

With all the talk of Newey leaving Red Bull with all of this as well, I could see him stepping away from F1 overall and head off to design boats and things like that, he has been around for years now.

Watch now, with all of this carry on with who will leave and crisis...nothing will really happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sainz has beaten Leclerc over weekends in the past. Bahrain is a sample set of one so can't really draw any conclusions based on it. Even Bottas had a couple of weekends a year where he beat Hamilton fair and square too. He's a decent driver and a thoroughly likeable guy. But he's not as fast as leclerc over a season. They're a bit like the tortoise and the hare. Sainz isn't as fast outright and leclerc wins the quali battle over a season. But both the tortoise and the hare have big weaknesses. Tip-top drivers are fast and consistent.

Sainz has had a few shockers where he goes on a run of poor form, and that's not good enough to be a top driver. In short, I like him so I wish he was faster than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Wouldn't surprise me if Adrian did step away that he would be snapped up by some ev manufacturer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Other than the few F1 websites I'd look at, I don't follow much social media thankfully so I'm not seeing much talk about folks leaving RBR. I read the-race's article about the beginning of the end of the Red Bull domination - thought it was a bit over the top tbh. I can't see Horner or Max or Newey going anywhere anytime soon.

It would be lunacy for Max to go to Merc when has the best car and team right now and for next year too I would guess. Newey seems happy with his role in RBR, he's also in the middle of designing their hypercar which probably scratches that non-F1 itch he seems to have. Horner won't go unless he's voted out and that seems unlikely atm with the Thai side of the business backing him.

Max would do well to ignore his old man and his outbursts - not sure how he thinks Horner leaving would benefit his son (or himself).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

At a certain point, Hamilton jettisoned his father from his career. If all these rumours are true I'd suggest Max does the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,726 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Max would be mad to leave RBR now. Until 2026 they are likely to have the best car (for him) by some margin. I don't see it.

Jos may just be asked/told to stay away. Classic case of someone overestimating their influence.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Off the current topic, finished Drive to Survive and Buxton is just more and more annoying, I dread the next season if he's still on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Maybe because he’s an ex driver himself, it emboldens the sense of importance he believes he has. No doubt he’s an influential figure around the team these days but he's not on the payroll and no one answers to him!

I decided to give the latest season a try and made it to episode 7 I think (had previously only seen season 1 which was a struggle). Yep Buxton get's way too much time, thankfully he's out of sight for most of a GP wkend. No idea why Danica is in there either. DTD is just so fake though, all of them playing up because they're infront of the camera - most of the team principals are a bunch of pricks except for Fred. 😂

It was nice to see Binotto chilling at his vineyard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Speaking of wine. I have a bottle of Jarno Trulli wine somewhere in the house.

I trulli hope I didn't lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,602 ✭✭✭✭klose

DTS is best when you’re relatively new to the sport, I myself, like a lot of new fans got into it watching it during lockdown with Covid and all that stuff, once you’ve watched the season and the following DTS series about said season the shine is really taken off because you can see over dramatises some things are. Still is good to see the behind the scenes stuff and all that of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Longing

I got 10 mins into episode 2. Scripted, Staged repeat trash except for the team radio in the race. E1 we had Lawrence Stroll talking about his son bike accident to us like it was only after happening until you looked out the window in his office and the trees were in full bloom he was doing his piece for Netflix in July or August. Bruxton no. Danica first take she was explaining how F1 cars worked if I was five or American.

If there is any other episodes worth watching or more interesting than the first one let me know would appreciate. Started watching the Nascar series much more entertaining.

He had been designing boats, he works with Oyster who design yachts.

You get the impression that after all of his success in F1, designing something that isn’t related to competition would suit him.

Pretty sure the Merc rumours only happened when Jos was seen talking to Toto. By all accounts, Jos is a real wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Reports today that Jos is very close to the PA involved in the Horner problem.

No wonder redbull investigation closed the book on this.

A load of nonsense.

• Advertisement

Yup, the new twist is that the person in question is the romantic interest of Jos.

What...a...story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Mother of jayzus. 😂 If that's true then it makes more sense why Jos is getting vocal about Horner's position being disruptive for the team.

If I was Max I'd be telling the father to get lost and if he's an employee of Max's in some capacity - sack him. You can't choose your family but you can deal with that sort of unhelpful crap.

It paints the whole thing in a crazy light now.

I have no idea wha to think at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I definitely had an itch there but wowsa.

Also yes I'm quoting my own post, it's probably the first time in thirty years I've had a wild theory that's somewhat on the mark, just let me have a moment I'll go quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah from anything I've heard about Jos, I'm pretty sure he and I wouldn't be mates. Sounds like a cold character.

Leaving max at a filing station to find his way home after losing a carting race is a big red flag in my book. But Max told that story as if it was good banter, so I'd say Max is in his thrall. I doubt Max would think to do anything against Jos.

Jos has a few more red flags on his CV as well. Really not a likeable person at all.

If...and it is an if, Max were to actually leave Red Bull and join Mercedes in 2025 (some are speculating it could happen that early), Red Bull please put Alonso in that car.

Apparently Saudi Arabia have announced a new track for F1 is in the works

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭jj880

PA being openly named online now so assuming its ok to discuss here.

Red Bull like the Kardashians at the moment.

Rumours circulating that before the barrister investigation the decision was made to sack Horner after Hewitson's initial complaint but he got wind if it before it was made official. Threatened to get his lawyers on the case unless he got an internal review as per his contract so it rumbled on.

Advertisement