Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Longing

So the leaks came from Marko looks like it. What absolute Sh*t show the whole situation is now. Power play by dirty practice and from beginning of last weekend when CH was looking to be on his way out. Today's news has highlighted his wingman and its not looking good Hulmet has said on Sky Germany. Remember Marko signed Verstappen. Max has clearly said Helmut has to stay for sure. So If Marko goes I don't think there is anyway of avoiding the Iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Don't worry. If helmut is sacked and Jos banished, young max will know which side his bread is buttered on and be more than happy to remain sitting in the redbull car.

It will be easy enough for him to save face say he is staying for the good of the team and to support the factory staff etc.

Looks like horner is sitting pretty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I still don't think Max is going anywhere anytime soon, whatever happens to Marko. You just don't give up the best car on the grid because of some power struggle/love triangle mess between a bunch of old geezers. It doesn't seem to be affecting the trackside performance of the team or drivers thankfully, or not yet anyway.

No dont think Max is leaving yet. But if Marko goes and in 2026 Ford show up with a Lada of a engine he is gone no doubt. I hope he stays for a long time in F1 would be a real shame for the sport if things go bad for Red Bull over the next year or two and he decides to go to WEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ford aren't making the engine, red bull are. So it's possible that they know what sort of performance will be expected from it in 2026, maybe it'll be a tractor and they're looking for an out?

• Advertisement

Yea should of said partnership. But I would be more happier if it said Cosworth on there cars for 26.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It appears that Christian Horner was texting this woman, which initially began as light banter but escalated into mild sexting. My assumption is that he was cleared of any wrongdoing due to the consensual nature of their interactions. However, there seems to be tension between Jos and Helmut, who hold negative opinions of Horner and may desire his removal. Recently, the lady involved in this situation may have become part of an anti-Horner narrative, likely influenced by Jos and Helmut, who may have encouraged her to come forward and label Horner as a “bold boy.” If the text messages are authentic, it suggests that someone connected to these three individuals leaked the messages, and there are indications that Helmut might have been involved.

The situation becomes precarious for Jos and Helmut if Horner was indeed not engaged in inappropriate texting with this woman. In that case, they could face significant consequences. While it’s hard to definitively conclude whether the entire scenario was fabricated, it remains a possibility. Perhaps Horner explained to his wife that he was merely flirting and had no intention of acting on it.

Regarding Red Bull Racing, many believe they heavily rely on Max Verstappen. However, I’m inclined to think that they could entice drivers like Lando Norris, Fernando Alonso, or Charles Leclerc away from their current contracts without much concern. Max is undeniably talented, but the car’s performance plays a crucial role. Let’s be candid about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Max has drawn the battle lines tonight ; Helmut stays ,Horner goes or otherwise he goes.

The words Max is using in his statements 'Jos is not a liar ',' Helmut is honest and has integrity ' , 'Helmut built this team ' and an implication that Helmut saved Horner from the chop in the past.

Honda are also pushing for full disclosure of the truth which Max has referenced .

Max has come out in full support of Helmut in contrast to his non existent support of Christian.

Helmut has stated that he will decide if he stays or not , apparently if Helmut leaves Max then becomes a free agent thanks to a clause in his contract.

Horner out puts the Thai majority owners plan to demerge or sell the F1 team to an Horner led investment group off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Max would be barking mad to leave Red Bull when they have the car they have.

He could well decide to go, maybe to Mercedes, maybe to Aston Martin?

I think he is trying for this situation to be resolved, but once the dust settles he will end up staying put.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You're correct in the car being critical but I don't think any other driver on the grid would be able to drive the car on its limit while rarely making a mistake and extract the performance out it like he can. We've seen it countless times especially in qualifying where he can pull a couple of tenths out of nowhere and take pole. It's not just his pace but his awareness for things like watching huw other cars behave on track, other lads driving, other teams pitstops and strategies. You'd wonder if he's even human at times

• Advertisement

Max is a wonderful driver but he has a terrible temper and likes to throw his toys out of the trolley. I honestly don't believe Red Bull need him. They would win a Championship with LeClerc.

Put Sainz or Alonso in that car and they’d win at a canter as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I could see Max just quit F1 to explore other series.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Max hardly makes any mistakes, Lec makes plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Some of that is the car though, how drivable and compliant the car is. And if you have to push harder, or make up for less performance in a less drivable ferrari, perhaps you are going to make some mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I agree with the above sentiments, the winner of this season and next seasons drivers championship will be driving a Red Bull, it’s up to Max if that’s going to be him or not! He would be mad to leave now! Maybe RB know that making it the perfect time for changes to be made?!?

His personal team seems to be making a complete mess of things, and it remains to be seen how loyal he truly is to Daddy and Helmut. Both of them are likely to be ousted in the coming weeks. While I’ve never been a fan of Verstappen, I can’t deny that he’s driving like a well-oiled machine at the moment. His commitment has elevated him to a level far superior to any other driver on the grid. However, I believe that others could also excel with the right machinery under them.

As for Red Bull, would they mind if Verstappen walked away? Probably not, but the potential PR fallout would be damaging for both Red Bull and Horner. Meanwhile, Lewis Hamilton’s current state remains a mystery to me. Age might be catching up with him, especially in qualifying. On the other hand, LeClerc has the talent to become a World Champion if he can secure the best car.

Let’s watch how this drama unfolds. Max might make an early move if there’s any hint that the 2026 Red Bull power unit won’t live up to expectations. At least there’s some off-track action to keep us entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,878 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I said this last year and I stick by it. Like with Hamilton and (up to recently) his commitment to the Mercedes-Benz works team, which was McLaren when he started, I can see Max replacing the retiring Alonso at Aston Martin and following the Works Honda engine that's powered all his championships so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Whatever about Max walking away owing to loyalty to Marko and his father, no top team is going to entertain them as a package deal. You think Toto would allow Marko to have any say in what goes on? Jos would be lucky to get a pit lane pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭bren2001

Every top time will entertain the idea. Max is that good and that dominant.

Max won't walk away because of Helmut. He will walk away if he has lost faith in Horner's Red Bull. Marko's days are numbered and he's been awkwardly hanging on for too long at this stage. I expect he brings very little to Red Bull at this point and is just part of the woodwork. I'd say plenty of people at Red Bull would be happy to see the back of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There are very few spots. Maybe AM would put up with them, but otherwise why would you bring them onboard. Marko's value was suspect even before we knew his games of causing internal strife by leaking stuff to the media. No top Team Principal is going to bring that into their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why would you bring them onboard? Because you get Max Verstappen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Horners denial

All this BS power struggle stuff

Is someone trying to stitch up Horner here and the messages aren't actually him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

Auto Motor Sport reporting that Horner says he's the architect of Red Bull's success and they can win "without Verstappen, Newey and Ford."

Marko for the leaks? Really?

Its some mess.

More impressively, Sainz is back in the paddock today to support Bearman and the team.

Impressive, I really want him to land a good seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭jj880

On closer inspection its from a German website thats translates to being from "a voice in the Red Bull team". Ffs.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/formel-1/helmut-marko-kein-rauswurf-red-bull-christian-horner/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Alonso and Danial at Red Bull would be brilliant. Well one can dream.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement