Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I have changed quite a few people's minds since I got my EV (the latest 2 days ago), just by talking to them and countering the FUD. This goes to show that FUD is the problem - if it wasn't then I shouldn't be able to change their minds as they would have a valid reason for not considering an EV.

Hadn't thought about it like that. I've seen a few posts on here recounting similar experiences, so possibly quite widespread. Had a neighbour list off all the FUD stuff to me a couple of weeks ago. I just started laughing, but promised to drop into them some evening and let them have a test drive. Must do that soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

You are wrong. People are not that stupid and for the most part are rational.

A ice/hybrid does what they want. A Bev doesn’t really do anything better for the ordinary driver. I bought 2x €50k cars in the past 12 months. I did contemplate a Bev, but there was just no compelling reason. Whether to buy a diesel or hybrid bothered me more.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's a whole thread on EV sales for 2024. Most people don't care enough about cars to do any serious research beyond going to a garage, they buy the car that is sold to them.

The last 12 months of crazy EV fud stories has had an impact. If you aren't willing to go and research stories it would be irrational to ignore the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

To be fair, most people who are in a position to purchase a new car (either outright or by finance) are not idiots just because they don't choose an EV. Maybe they just don't want the hassles of an EV especially around charging. But maybe they want to do their bit for the environment and therefore are purchasing a Hybrid which is the best of both worlds

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There's no need to call them idiots for not buying an EV.

The point is that most people buying cars don't really do that much research, they go into a garage of a brand they like and will buy a car that the salesperson steers them towards.

I think the fact that manufacturers have a financial incentive to sell EVs in 2025, and make as much money from selling non-EVs in 2024 before the new standards kick in is a much more likely explanation than any change in consumer sentiment. The dealer bonus per model has a more of a say on the car a consumer leaves the garage with than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Arguably it's the worse of both worlds, but that depend on the objective.

These are lot of people who are wealthy and are idiots. Thats not mutually exclusive.

If someone has a reasoned argument for an EV or simply doesn't want one that's fair enough. But too often it's FUD. Calling them idiots is fair enough. Likewise someone buying an expensive EV and trying to fill it will petrol.

If that were true, EVS would sell well as manufacturers are anxious to amortise the cost of developing them and would steer their agents towards the sale of them.

a lot of things fail in the market for different reasons. I think for bevs is that they simply don’t have a usp for the ordinary buyer and may doing somethings slightly worse for a higher tco.

I don’t think bevs will fail mind you, but we need to get over this pentium pro/hddvd/betamax/dvd+rw phase first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭RoboRat

People are not stupid, but they are easily led, easy to manipulate, and often don't bother to fact-check. The marketing industry is worth an estimated $1.7 trillion worldwide… why do you think that is? It's because it's very lucrative to influence people and lead them. Here is another ditty; last year there were 365,000 cases of fraudulent scams in Ireland alone. Some of this is stupidity, but more often than not, it's because people are too busy to check, are not paying attention, or are just not bothered to investigate. They accept things at face value.

You say an ICE/ Hybrid does what they need. Unless you're doing 300km plus per day or 78,000km per year on a 5-day working week, an EV is suitable if you have the means for home charging. There are very few people doing more than 300km a day regularly. The fact that the national average is 17,000km proves this.

With a hybrid, you are not getting the best of both worlds, you're getting a full ICE engine with all the associated maintenance and carbon build-up, along with a small battery. If you use the battery most of the time, you're losing range because you have a big ass motor that you're carrying. If you use the motor most of the time, you have a heavy battery that you're carrying.

I genuinely don't understand the rhetoric around Hybrids. The only explanation I see is that there's a degree of comfort in having a backup engine. This is because the average Joe and Jane don't trust EVs and that is down to the deliberate spreading of FUD.

Bev doesn’t really do anything better for the ordinary driver.

Except save you an absolute fortune on fuel, has zero tailpipe emissions, cheaper tax, and less maintenance. Yep, nothing better.

l could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

My view is an EV is an immature technology. I’ll buy one sometime, but for now it’s no more expensive to run a hybrid and the total tco is less.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A lot of people are that stupid. Clearly someone parroting as fact whatever bollocks they heard down the pub, on a subject they know no actual facts about, isn't very bright…

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A hybrid works as token gesture. Whatever the merits of this, it's still a thing of value to some.

It also works if you can do a lot of driving within the range of the battery and do regular long trips where you don't want to charge.

An example would be someone who drives locally all week then goes on long drive at the weekend out of range of convenient charging.

For me one of the main reasons for wanting an EV is not to have to maintain an engine. A hybrid doesn't give me that. For example.

Your statements applies equally to sweating the most money out of the existing assets and developments of combustion drivetrains. The key difference being that 2025 represents a cliff edge in emissions standards. A sane manufacturer would sell as many combustion cars as they can get away with in 2024 when they know they need to up sales to around 25% BEV from 2025.

I think this is much more likely than your idea that people have suddenly realised (co-incidentally at a time of many media articles) that EVs aren't suitable for reasons which are so easily dismissible by those who regularly use them.

We're over the EV format wars, it's CCS and Batteries, the exact battery chemistry isn't something an individual needs to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,902 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

indeed yet is used as proof of FUD, it would genuinely boggle the mind.

What told me that bevs were not working out too good was carnage and chaos at the chargers in cashel in at Christmas 2022. I saw that (smugly) with my own two eyes from my phev on way from cork to centerparcs.

i think people are giving the media too much credit!

Here fishy fishy. 🤣

You must be very bored having to resort to trolling BEV owners. Badly.

not at all. I think there reactions from Bev owners to criticisms of their cars curious though.

I think hybrid is a doomed technology even though I dropped 100k on two of them in 12 mths. Not offended in the least when people say BEV is the future. All I ever say is for now there is no convincing argument to buy one. They don’t all go on fire, many can live with them pain free, but same as with a Tucson or Yaris cross for less money and less constraints.

that’s all the media is saying I think.

And with that I am done with this thread.

Lol. And more little hooks for the unsuspecting fishies. "They don't all go on fire" 🤣

I remember Cashel 2022. The horror, Oh the humanity!!! 😂

• Advertisement

you fine the reactions curious when you post nonsense, strange that,

cheerio !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭innrain

Was not a post yesterday showing a Tucson is more expensive than a Tesla EV

I love the charging queue angle. Imagine walking up every morning with a full tank. Oh, wait a minute.

I estimate that I have saved around 6 hours from pointless visits to the service station where I inevitably buy some junk too. In the past 10 months, I've travelled just under 23,000km and spent a whole 45 mins at public chargers (3 times and never a queue).

He might have felt smug that one time. Imagine the feeling of driving by a service station and the prices are going up, and up, and up...

Does time spent in the supermarket doing your weekly shopping whilst simultaneously charging your car count as time wasted charging? Or having a meal at the same time?

Because if it doesn't I've wasted zero time charging.

Depends on who you ask. A sensible person would say no.

An EV hater would say you could have set the car park on fire, and that you're car has such abysmal range that you can't even go shopping without charging. Then they'll tell you all about the damage that lithium mining is doing to the Congo, or perhaps it's Sudan, or Somalia. Then admonishing you about your bad environmental choices because their diesel is so much cleaner.

To correct the record the car was a phev. Traded in since for another one. The one bought in jan has burnt €100 of petrol to date. It runs pretty much exclusively on home charging with practically all the benefits of a Bev and no disadvantages.

my hypothesis is that PHEVs are the ideal compromise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

"It runs pretty much exclusively on home charging with practically all the benefits of a Bev and no disadvantages."

Other than carrying around that large engine. Maintenance of that engine. Risk of ICE issues on that engine. Having to fuel it too.

I'm in a 530e so no point dressing up the PHEV lifesyle either.

🤣🤣🤣

Good one!! I fell hook, line and sinker... I actually thought you were serious.

the rav has a useful ev range. Weighs the same as a Bev. Maintenance is negligible, and the power train is well proven and pretty much bullet proof. Fuel is small change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought you were done with the thread? Glad to see you back so soon.

Advertisement