Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

I have 5 years since I started driving electric and I passed a cumulative 150k km driven with no tailpipe. More that 2 years I drove free of charge, benefited from zero BIK, 75-50% toll reduction for good years. Driving 150k km on our petrol cars, would have costed approx 19k in fuel. Even at an overinflated price of 50c/kWh, would cost something like 12k in the EVs (the highest average consumption rate on my cars is less than 16kwh/100km). In reality I paid less than 4k. Then servicing would have been at least 10x oil changes some brake pads and probably one timing belt, not to mention 2xNCTs every year. There are other benefits like a more even usage. Before when we had 2XICE cars, I was driving mine and missus was driving hers leading to a 95/5% split usage. Now we drive whichever is more convenient for the particular journey. Having said all that, the costs were just one reason for changing to EVs but not the main one.

Back in 2019 people were incredulous that we're going to manage with the EVs. All the "you'll have nowhere to charge", "tyre particulates", "bring a fleece with you as the heater eats battery", "I have a friend with a flatbed" and EV fires were brought up at pub or at work as soon as people found out we drive electric. We're still getting the talk about poor charging network and what not. My stance however was never to hit back but to asses if the person in front of me is actually open to dialogue. If they start with all the rubbish monologues without listening to what I have to say as a person with professional experience and having driven both ICE and EV, I keep my mouth shut and move one. Plenty of others are open though and had lots of good discussion on the subject. I did drive tests with friends and acquaintances and even lent cars for weekends. While EVs can be perceived inferior from the range POV, they are superior in many other aspects like driving dynamics, comfort, running costs. They do require a change of mindset and that's not possible in every case just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

Because we need coverage in places Vodafone has it and no one else does… And yes, it’s all iPhones, and there are fit for the bin after 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's not even a good deal on Vodafone.

Throwing out or destroying iPhones after two years when they are still worth a fair bit, seems another poor financial decision. They don't seem fit for whatever ye do with them .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2 years 😂

iPhone X still going strong. Albeit with a Few screen replacements from drops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Yeah, I don't tend to engage with the negativity. 3 of my mates are anti EV - you would swear that an EV murdered their family. The irony is that one of the anti EV brigade had a diesel Merc spontaneously combust on a motorway and it went up in a fireball.

A couple of my mates would be cautious and last week I picked one of them up (I live around 100km away so I rarely see them) and within 10 minutes, he had seen the light. Another would like one, but he does a lot of fishing and tows his boat through muddy fields and tracks, so he felt it wouldn't be suitable due to the weight (he drives an A8 Quattro estate I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

To be fair, we have had very little negativity over the years with our EVs. If work mates etc ask us how we like our cars, we tell the truth, how they suit our driving, for significantly less running costs in a car significantly more powerful, better equipped and simpler to drive than we would otherwise have. Range is usually questioned, not sure they believe how easy it is to drive to London, Belfast or wherever and in reality how little you need chargers apart from at home.

Most people we know are just reluctant to change and that is very understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when this shift occurred, but yes, much of this regression can be traced back to the current state of social media. About five or six years ago, when I logged onto my Instagram account, the content I encountered was closely aligned with my interests. Friends shared photos, and brands showcased interesting products. It all seamlessly fit into my life.

However, things have changed dramatically. Social media is now inundated with fake news, clickbait content, memes, and videos designed for quick laughs and reactions. As someone who values information and intelligent content, I find this shift disheartening. Inevitably, all this rubbish makes its way into workplaces, family dinners and chats around the table down the pub.

For the sake of humanity, I hope that platforms like Instagram and Tik-Tok will eventually fade away, much like Facebook did. Perhaps then, people will reconnect with each other, lifting their heads out of their phones and engaging in genuine interactions.

In the context of electric vehicles, I’ve also observed that many people tend to unquestioningly believe what they read online. Unfortunately, the internet is rife with fake news and clickbait content, making it challenging for individuals to discern between facts and fiction. However, there’s a silver lining: those who avoid excessive online exposure often maintain a more balanced perspective on EVs. Specifically, I’m referring to people who haven’t yet owned an EV.

If a prominent figure like Jeremy Clarkson were to publicly endorse EVs by purchasing one, it would likely influence a significant number of people—especially the more traditional demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

FWIW I noted Clarkson was driving a 16 year old Range Rover on his Amazon show in the latest season. I know he isn't short of a bob or two and likes all things British but Christ that thing must cost a fortune to keep going.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Clarkson is a walking contradiction. On one hand, he bemoans the climate and talks about climate change on 'Clarksons Farm'. He talks about how his proximity to nature has made him far more aware of the climate. He has fields of wildflowers for pollinators… but is happy to completely ignore the effect of exhaust emissions on said poillinators. He won't drive an EV full stop and you're probably right, if he could swallow his pride and give them an honest go, and if it changed his mind, I think it would do a lot of good. It would open the conversation and people might feel more comfortable about changing their opinion.

Interestingly, Joe Rogan is a big fan of EVs… he also loves his muscle cars but has a very balanced view. I'm not sure if this is down to his love of Elon, or if he just gets EVs… possibly a bit of both as he really loves cars. I'm not a fan of JR, and some of his opinions are bonkers, but his attitude to EVs is refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭yagan

I said it back when FB was becoming popular, when someone offers you a service for free then you're the product they're selling. Once they started pushing content I was out. Sad to see a few friends go down anti vax anti everything wormholes just because if social media.

On the EV none of social media negativity has put me off. We were looking last year and what made us hold off was knowing that there were loads of brands like BYD on the way with loads of spec for a lot less. When we change cars we like to hold onto them for years, our diesel estate is approaching 20 years but passed the NCT again.

I don't like the supersized nature of cars these days and would prefer something that has as roomy a boot as our estate but as easy to park as an average car size from twenty years ago. The only EV I've noticed that meet such requirement is an MG5 but I'm not really gone on its looks. I'm happy to wait for better EV options to arrive.

• Advertisement

Can't with Trump, COVID and Musk. Driving fake news and not policing it..

They reckon it's the sweet spot model...

That said I've no time for Clarkson. Always felt he uses cars a platform for self promotion, rather than actually being that interested in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

17 years even. Each to their own, wouldn't be my cup of tea though.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Kinda of farm/country thing. Especially in the UK. Gentleman farmers.

I think the downfall of social media in Ireland was Covid and lockdowns. Conspiracy theories that normally would be ignored were embraced when people started getting dispondent.

Many people got very attached to social media at that time - it was a break from the monotony. Then, when people started to agree with their views (right or wrong, crazy or sane), they felt important. Now it seems to be a case of who can outscoop who, irrespective of if it's right or wrong. People share things without checking. If it's on social media, it's legit in their eyes. If they can share it before anyone else in their circle, they will get more likes… they will be the authority. If they can get the first comment and get the most likes, they'll be important. The more out there the comment, the more reaction. If people criticise, then deflect, make things up, use memes, and call them sheep. Don't bother to investigate and see if you're wrong. Backing down or admitting being wrong is incomprehensible because if you're wrong about one thing, perhaps you're wrong about a lot of things.

It's sad and depressing but it's made worse by the social media companies who seem to actively push negative content to your feed to try to get you to engage. I don't play ball anymore. I have social profiles but I rarely use them for anything other than work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm hearing from friends in the UK that a 3-door hatch is what they want… Don't think there's a single EV that fits that category, which I am learning is apparently not very niche in England

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

A big eye opener for people will be when they get into an EV taxi.

Was speaking to a sound lad down at the Sandyford SuC and he was telling me about the people he was ferrying around, asking lots of questions about electric vehicle ownership (he had a new model 3).

Biggest takeaway for people is they don't realise that they're not a hugely expensive car. The running costs come next.

I gave a lift home last week to the accountant in my wife's work. He just bought his wife a new Tucson jeep. After a look around my car he says "what the f*ck am I after doing? I could have bought her one of these and she could charge it at home every night" (he was taken back when I told him an overnight charge would leave her with around 400kms or more to head off the next day).

She's an ideal candidate - driveway, stay at home mother who does the school run and a spin to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭sh81722

I think another turning point was the UA war. A successful internet troll nation needs all the oil money they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭yagan

The lockdowns certainly did a number on some people, but I think ultimately the lockdowns just highlighted how much some people had been making their social media profile extensions of themselves for years beforehand.

Anyway on that note I think it's good to me getting past the novelty stage with EVs and down to the nitty gritty. I think it's inevitable that EVs will become more common for several reasons, but mainly once the cheapest entry level EV is as cheap as an entry level ICE like a Nissan micra, or Suzuki ignis, then there's an awful lot of folks like retirees whose driving is all local who'll be happy to plug it in like it's another kitchen appliance.

They care nothing for 0-100Klm in howmany seconds, and they'll make the EV ubiquitous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

All only available as 5 door cars to my knowledge. Great cars though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mini E is definately 3 door. didn' tknow the Honda E had those rear hidden doors. Fiat 500E.

3 Door Hatches even in ICE are becoming rare there just isn't the economy of scale for them

I thought two years was ok. Battery life in mine is down in the low 80%, I have spent almost 30 days worth of talk time on it alone, not to mention data and it’s a legitimate business expense. Screen is cracked too, but in fairness it’s the first time I ever cracked a screen and I never bother with cases. I’d never sell the phone’s because of data protection fears (yes wipe yada yada, not with the hassle) or hand it in for a new battery for the same reasons.

to stay ot though, I don’t know why I am being told how to think. Likewise with EVs, people are allowed to be question what was 24 months ago held up as gospel. It’s probably gone too far the other way now, but equilibrium will emerge.

can’t image so when almost every 3 door hatch on the market was killed off due to low demand. They all went the way of the coupes and convertibles.

Except you're not getting told what to think. That's a strawman to try and shutdown any option you disagree with.

Maybe I should do the same. Why are you telling everyone else what to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Indeed, the area I had in mind, the North coast was virtually devoid of fuel stations.

Things have changed.

Were I still working, I would give one consideration, but I think there would have to be a major drive to get all on board.

I have a fondness for saving the planet, but the danger seems to be ending up with a bit of a lemon if humanity decides self destruction is the most attractive way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

We had diesels, they didn't last, the turbos went. I recall a memo about leaving the engines to "idle" before turning off the ignition, but the Mazdas were the last. Mine was not a good advert for the brand, it didn't do half what we would run a petrol car to before being sold off as little more than scrap.

I would guess the company knew what it was doing, I never quite understood the methodology but I am not an accountant. Unless opting out we had company fuel for private and company travel. The income tax burden was high, but the company.

Scotland has power, did I give the impression that it didn't?

It has to have power, as the highlands have been taken over by golfers, the little haggis's have nowhere quiet to be nurtured after birth due to the parents abandoning them because of golf balls hurtling all over the highlands. The only way to guarantee survival of the new haggis generations was to armour plate and supply power to bothies,

• Advertisement

"Most" modern petrols have turbos. You'll have search to find one without one. "Normally Aspirated" (no turbo).

Who ever bought them should have done their homework on Mazda diesels reliability. At face value you've been describing a pattern of poor decision making.

You've also been describing the long distance driving that diesels are designed for.

None of this has anything to do with EVs.

Advertisement