Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

You are aware you can get a sim only plan for a lot cheaper with one of the bigger companies?
    Doing quick maths you can work out how much that new phone costs you per device while you can buy a lot cheaper direct from apple etc and still have a sim from a big company

But bang away paying the 50 a month and think you are getting a better service

Never heard of anyone who swapped to another service and it cost them 400 euro, the change over is automatic and simple, plus it’s easy to figure out which network the “cheaper” networks are on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Who is the small time dealer you're on about?

People upset? You're the one calling others stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

the well known dealer who all the media are turnig no to. They are a tiny dealer in Ireland and have zero relevance in reality to the Irish car trade and no main dealer would even touch them

Yes I call people stupid, what else would you call them?
    I live in Ireland, the average journey for most people is circa 20km isn’t it? To travel from Belfast to Cork is less than 400km. Range anxiety? 🤣🤣

People will buy electrics because they have the brain power to review the options and pick what is best for them, the same stupid people will be sitting in 10 years time crying because of all the money they spent on a combustion car when they never needed one in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

yes, for personal use the gomos and 48s are fine. We have a few data sims with Eircom too, but despite the price Vodafone wins always on the voice irrespective of cost. I’m glad to say pricing phones and plans is something I delegate at this stage!

Equally with cars I don’t drive a Bev because the hassle isn’t worth the savings, if there is any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There obviously are savings with mobile phone plans or BEVs if it works for someone's use case. It's just maths.

• Advertisement

You're mistaken if you assume there aren't unreliable petrol engines.

Can't be many drivers that do 600 -1200km on a daily basis. (...or would even want to...)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I know there are unreliable petrol engines of course. My first car was a Morris Ital, and I got to rebuild the engine long before I knew what I was doing :-(

The car did teach me that Halfords torque wrenches were not to be trusted also.

I gather even the none turbo three cylinder engines are troublesome on some models. I think my car is 3 cylinder, but I only opened the bonnet twice at most since buying the car. We used to run petrol cars to around 180,000 miles after which they were swapped and became pool cars. None of the Mazdas made it to pool car stage, in fact they were the only deisel engined cars we had, most were variations on a Civic or Focus 1600 and petrol

I did a lot of miles, I never liked staying out if it was avoidable. Even here where there are not too many boring, plasticy Travelodge type places, I used to commute from near Clonakilty to Tralee daily.

The hotels are better than Britain for short notice three or four night stays, but after years of trying to avoid the places it was too late to change my habits.

My company in the UK were not happy with my antics, being concerned about looking bad if I wrote off a few families on the motorway I suppose, but they got used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'd call them the mainstream majority. We are early adopters. They're buying what they want to buy. The cars they like. The cars they can afford. Nobody will be crying in 10 years.

I've 2 full EVs but let's not forget that a decent proportion of people can't charge at home or work. And it's new technology.

Let people buy and drive what they want and don't be calling them stupid. It's a divisive tactic. Every bit as much as the articles that are popping up.

It's the inertia against change.

But if govt make diesel cheaper than petrol and eventually everyone will change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Maybe the small dealer that has family working for RTE 😉

I was an early adaptor in 2012 with Fluences and Kangoos….

That was 12 years ago..

Well you certainly got the hop over everyone else.

And I was late to it too, especially since I was loosely in the ecar launch in 2009/2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,886 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If whoever you have delegated pricing phones and plans to has negotiated a deal thats costing 50 quid a month id suggest its time for a performance review 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭pah

If I could drop 50 quid a month on a Vodafone contract with a new phone every 2 years, I absolutely would. Some people have the money, not everybody needs the best deal or best savings out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I loved the job.

I never had much interest in cars though, I did want an estate but the company were insistent on their choices.

An EV would have been out, it would be today as I.m sure places like Scotland would be a nightmare even in summer to try to get charged.

Is anyone selling these things yet? :-)

https://www.amazon.ca/NERMAK-Portable-Battery-Charger-Waterproof/dp/B0CQMW1Z5N/ref%3Dsr_1_25?crid=MIV3H5Z8G8Y3&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.U-onSXJdA9GFUaanrEzZKdjeMoRfyUftRpUKB9-Hu35SXqnNMH2rUKjRFh-WGP57H2IgDKY0SCdZPv-ajJYQlwmYWxHRGV3qON3WXMJ_NHWXQA2tE2dlRDREFBJb6XxveY-YvVRQY-5xeQvE52virdUL88Vp2bQZlNh8gityaIwtwufrK9x1gFcgm4EZVazyqHoCbnRsvXe1p_W1ki3AqhVPO8376-zyqENowPTGDEZujsuM97Ik1Fbesdn4g2XhMn96oXsoDH8Re_osiC2tLDTw8xSSlPD5aBjjoMMzT9U.89qXOls_VlWwiLlHoqzeBraAVgC8YsMWXvZMby4zlhU&dib_tag=se&keywords=Solar+Trickle+Charger&qid=1715587909&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=solar+trickle+charger+%2Clawngarden%2C215&sr=1-25

There must be a world of opportunity for the shysters that were supplying performance enhancing magnets for fuel lines and software upgrades to get more MPG from plug in USB sticks or car lighter attachments.

New technology is often jumped on by the snake oil salesmen exploiting peoples lack of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Scotland seems well covered for charging points.

You won't have money for long picking the worst deal and worst saving at every opportunity.

50x24=€1200

7.99x24=€191

The difference would more than buy a new phone every 2 years.

But each to their own and all that 👍

• Advertisement

Wasn't aware that Scotland has no electricity.

Whatever snake oil sold your fleet petrol cars to do starship mileage really knocked it out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

Some people like being seen as Billy Big Bollix on the internet even though many of same type get upset if on the receiving end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's amazing how easily people are fed bullshit and they lap it up and ask for seconds. The kid has more sense than all of them.

When we bought our BEV, my wife's colleagues were quick to add their two cents. They said they would never buy an EV because of the range issue, that the batteries are made by slave labour, and that EVs regularly go on fire.

Thankfully she knows better now and she loves the car. They can't harp on about range because we have proven it's not a problem. They can't harp on about the fires because there is proof that it's the other way around by around 50-80x. They can't harp on about child labour because cobalt is used in petrol/ diesel production and it's being phased out of batteries.

Now they've moved on to asking her how we will sell our car. Apparently, no dealer will take them and it's all over the news. I just laughed and said if that's what they think, so be it. If we lost 50% of the value in 3 years, we would still be far better off than someone selling a diesel/ petrol car when you take into account the significant savings on fuel, tax, insurance and maintenance.

These people are not petrolheads or car aficionados. My personal feeling is that they're somewhat jealous. I think they would love to be able to save on fuel but they have swallowed so much FUD and spread it, that they have past the point of return in their minds. They can't admit they were wrong as it would make them look foolish - people would question why they have an EV after being so negative about them. They can't change their mind so they have decided that if they can't have it, they will spoil it for everyone else. They have doubled down on the crap and it's their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Shoog

We are on a three pay as you go plan where you pay €20 a month and you basically get everything at that fixed price. Fours years and not a single issue.

Cannot understand why anyone would be on a bill pay with the risks of running up huge bills if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I moved to that years ago as well. Was paying over €60 a month which was basically covering the cost of the new phone.

Bought a SIM unlocked phone for €200 (it does my job perfectly fine) and it's €20 a month now for unlimited everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭Shoog

It allows you to buy very high spec xiomia phones for a fraction of what a mainstream brand costs. We operate a train of phone, my wife gets a new one every two years and I get her old one. Four years and the battery is shot. Still huge saving on say a Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭n.d.os

My wife also faces similar challenges, particularly from those closest to her who harbor feelings of jealousy. Our financial stability and my early adoption of new technology seem to irk a few people in her circle. Interestingly, my wife herself is considering a shift back to a hybrid vehicle. She hasn’t fully embraced her EV and lacks confidence in using it effectively on longer trips. She overcharges it on her way back from the odd 300km trip.

Reflecting on all of this, I’ve concluded that some people resent the idea of their loved ones acquiring new things or trying something new that they fear themselves. The association of EVs with politics complicates matters, and until charging infrastructure becomes more widespread and convenient, widespread EV adoption remains a distant goal. It’s a somewhat disheartening reality, but it’s the world we live in. I think we are going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭pah

Don't get me wrong lads, I haven't been on a contract in over 12 years and I generally bought my phones in the sub 500 bracket such as OnePlus, but they are pricier now. I picked up a galaxy note 10+ 512GB on refurbed.ie for 169 about a year ago that I'm using right now. Myself and 3 kids on gomo for less than a Vodafone contract p.m. but if 50 quid a month wasn't a big deal to me I might pay that.

By that logic nobody should ever spend more than 30k on something like a leaf because it gets you from A to B same as a phone let's person A call person B

The comment that started this line of discussion was the inertia of the market to find a better deal.

The argument that's someone wants and can afford a 1200 iPhone on a 60 a month plan is a strawman argument. No one's arguing that someone with a 5.0 Mustang needs to buy a 10yr old leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The main problem is (anti)social media. It has been taken over by cranks, scaremongers, vested interests, and people whose sole purpose in life is to stir **** because they live such boring lives - their life revolves around likes and comments on social media and they must be seen!

The mainstream media are nearly as bad and many outlets rehash inaccurate and incendiary content. Whether this is incompetence, laziness, or because it will get more clicks is yet to be ascertained… it's probably a bit of everything, with a sprinkling of AI.

Thankfully, my wife is sold on our BEV but she has never taken it for a really long spin and had to use a public charger. That being said, we rarely use public chargers because we don't need to (3 times thus far). I think there is a degree of resentment at not having the guts to try something new, but I don't think it's due to financial reasons. They have backed themselves into a corner and they won't back down. It's evident when you see anything positive about EVs on social media - a mob of detractors shaking their pitchforks will always find their way to the post, and use it as a platform to spread their FUD. They cannot just skip by, they must have their say and ironically, most have never driven an EV, and have no clue about how it works.

I imagine if social media was around when we transitioned from horses to cars, the narrative would have been the exact same. Ironic really.

Advertisement