Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

Each side of the argument agrees with you. I have both and for sure prefer to drive the M3 over the Smax but I have no issue (other than cost) filling up with a tank of diesel and driving a manual ice. Still love the manual gearbox. However I much prefer driving the smax over a Leaf. I must be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Exactly the point, I charge once a week normally and one short stop gets me to one of the furthest spots on the island.

If you drive 5000km a day stick with your diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Driving an ice in Urban areas is similar to smoking in a class room.

Your freedom to pump out smoke at the level of a kid in a buggy shouldn't trump my kids freedom to breathe cleaner air.

There are affordable alternatives available for most people and people should be discouraged from not choosing them.

driving a manual smax doesnt sound like my idea of fun, but each to their own (as in most things!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's because the SMax is known to have a half decent chassis and half engaging to drive whereas the Leaf doesn't and isn't. It's got nothing to do with the drive train.

While I like a manual gearbox over an auto on a open road. In traffic which is 90% of my driving I prefer an auto, and prefer an EV most of all for that driving. To honest even on a boring motorway A-B driving I prefer the EV.

just watched this on the dart this morning mark, great to see Bob back at it.

I agree he should not have insisted you didnt charge when you were stopped anyway but it added a little to the drama!

one thing that it did highlight was how much better value the ID7 is v the a6, that was a pretty basic spec a6, to get it to the same spec as the id7 would have been another 10k id expect which puts the difference between them at 20k like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭micks_address

watched the video as well. The only real benefit of the audi is the range but its a big benefit! i doubt we will ever get to 1200 km range evs… would be silly really… the esb charger in clare is a good example though - you have a single point of failure that could leave you pretty much screwed if you were to depend on it. There's no way you wouldn't top up at a station if you had the opportunity like Mark had at kinnegad.. even ten minutes charging would have taken the pressure off the total journey. Its just a difference in approach. I wonder how long this EV winter will last in terms of sales and depreciation.. seems like the 'next' segment of buyers after the early adopters are seriously on the fence. As the video shows the fuel price if buying on the road is way in the diesels favour.. im getting a lot of 'told ya so' from non ev owners at the moment.. im fine with my ev.. the only negative for me is depreciation.. i'd like to potentially have traded by id4 gtx for a id7 this summer but ill be waiting it out another year with my tail between my legs hoping the market picks up again and ive some equity in my pcp when its up next year..

to be fair if your ID4 had held its value better the id7 would be marketed at a higher price, its swings and roundabouts.

and yes the 1200km range is nice, but for me personally i would never need that, or if i did i could plan around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not sure we'll never get to the 1200 mark. We've already passed 700 this year when a couple of years ago 400 was the gold standard.

• Advertisement

Much prefer to be driving a manual 911 but unfortunately reality is cruel😄 I fully agree with your final point and as I've said plenty of times, EVs meet a lot of people's (5 seat) car needs at this point as long as they have home charging. The rest is perception and wants which of course differsfor everyone

On the pollution point mentioned earlier I agree and I am always bemused to see diesel Polos, Fiestas, i20s etc being driven around urban areas, even by older people who will rarely trqvel outside thier own neighbourhood. What happened again in 2008? Did that ground breaking climate change policy take childrens health into account I wonder?

In reality if diesel cars were cheaper to buy /run they'd be a lot less Evs on the road, irrespective of peoples concerns about their children's health. Welcome to the self centred human race

@Flinty997 I am not trying to persuade you otherwise.

Yes the Leaf is one boring car to drive especially if you are at Leaf speed and watching the range dwindle into the danger zone, which is a monotonously regular occurrence for me. Just completed a 60km return journey, started off with 93% SOC and arrived back with 17% and didnt exceed 80kph at any stage of journey even on 100kph national roads. Mind numbingly boring

On reflection. They used the EV (ID7) like ICE car. That's not a criticism of the lads just an observation.

Its like trying to get your iPhone to last as long as non smart Nokia from 2000.

I guess the argument is they are pandering to the ICE mindset. Who have no experience of EVs. Because that's mostly the audience for that video. But I'm not sure that's useful.

Any body with experience with EVs will have a different mindset when watching that video.

Great content from the lads. Even if we don't always agree with them. Easier to follow Bob with subtitles at times. But knocking it out of the park with their content.

The early Leafs are 1st generation product. The world has moved on. If the range no longer works for you its time to move on. If you want to save money, anything with CSS charging to 40~50kw and a modern battery, low mileage Ionic, I3, eGolf, eUP, Mini would be a night and day different for not much money. Many will say spend more skip that generation and get into something with an even newer and bigger battery. Must faster charging and range. But then its higher budget.

I think the value in used EV's is being drowned out by those buying new EVs.

The world focused on CO2 and forgot about all the other emissions and they didn't consider the impact Govt policies like cheaper tax would have on the car demographics. Leading to disproportionate number of diesels in urban environments and the corresponding detrimental effect it had on urban air quality.

We learn from making mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭sh81722

What this video really highlighted for me is that how small this island is and how badly .*ESB.* have dropped the ball. The three chargers between Lahinch and Killarney is comedy gold. 50 kWh SPOFs scattered around was ok back in 2014 but not in 2024.

But despair not, a proper CCS network is under construction already and now that the other branch of the .*ESB.* have figured out how to build the substations quicker than 2 years it will be just a question of time when this country will join the other developed countries with a sane EV charging network.

After that nothing will stop EVs being as useful here as they have been for years, based on my own exprience, everywhere else in Western Europe. 2021 was when we bought our first long range EV with CCS and cross continent trips have been just piece of cake, while trips to Kerry and Donegal have required planning.

Quite the black spot. Seems the most viable route (for chargers) is via a long detour through Limerick. If you have smaller battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What are the details on this new CCS network from the ESB?

Any maps to where chargers are being installed?

I know but they (and the equivalent Fluence) are still being strongly advocated on here and elsewhere as cheap entry points to EV ownership. I think its important to highlight the caveats as the early Leafs (up to 2017) while being cheap are very compromised cars and only really have a narrow use case, i.e. one way daily commute of 20-40km (or aggregate daily travel of 40-80km) in the winter. Beyond that they are a pita and will require top ups during the day to cover your daily needs. As you say buyer beware.

• Advertisement

Exactly knee jerk Govt policy often cause more harm than good but good for the social media likes. Deal with the consequences after the next election

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The next likely burst of charging infrastructure we'll see comes from the TII funded E road scheme. It won't all be eCars (1 org can only obtain 40% of the funding). Here's the map of where is eligible for funding. The infra needs to active by December of 2025.

I would put the Fluence on a par with the early leaf but for different reasons.

The network will be built by Tesla who currently have 7 sites in Ireland, 2 open to everybody. 13 locations are currently planned for island of Ireland by end of 2025. And another 15 by end of 2026. It will be CCS only and the first 3 are expected to happen already in '24 with multiple units per site. It's not currently known if all of them will be publicly available.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭electricus

There’s a 50kW EasyGo charger not too far away (from Lahinch) in Miltown Malbay and a few AC points around there too including the hotel at Spanish Point.

As a major tourist route, the Wild Atlantic Way should be prioritised for more charging points, high speed as well as destination charging at attractions like the cliffs of Moher.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It will be built by a number of operators, any one CPO can only take on 40% of the available funding. I suspect we'll see a mix of Tesla, Applegreen, Maxol, and CircleK. Given the siting requirements we might not see eCars get any funding from this round.

The stars from the map really show how concentrated our high power charging hubs are.

I've almost given up on the non-Tesla networks for time being. As SuC roadmap lists 13 new sites by end of 2025 I feel like that will be, in my user case, enough to drive everywhere both in Ireland and in Europe, and that network being easy to use without having to carry all the other apps and tags and priced fairly compared to the competition. So pretty much voting with my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭crl84

Tesla have said plenty of things about future sites/upgrades in the last few years, and have not come to pass, so I'll believe these 13 new sites in the next 18months when I see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Firblog

As is usual in all 'national' infrastructure being built in Ireland, not much above the Galway - Dublin line..

Advertisement